“Decent stay for one night”
Review of Hotel UMass

Hotel UMass
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Amherst
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
“Decent stay for one night”
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Booked a room for 1 night as my daughter was in a dance competition the next morning nearby and due to several colleges in the area graduating hotel choices at an affordable rate were hard to find. Was a little Leary of booking something right on campus. Found it a little awkward to have to walk through the campus center to get to the front desk from the bottom level garage but was greeted by a very friendly front desk staff. There is no pool which I knew of when booking but the sites of the mountains and foliage was nice. The breakfast is very basic, I choose this hotel over a Quality Inn in Chicopee due to reviews and while the hotel was nice it wasn't what I expected after reading all the reviews. The bathroom is well done but very small, the rooms are clean but no fridge. . My daughter did like the cookies at check in and the Kuerig was nice in the morning. One small thing room was a bit noisy from the ac unit to the creeks (honestly don't know what the noises were coming from). Overall a decent stay for one night though a little pricey at $169 plus tax for what is really offered

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KKOF
umasshotel123, Front Office Manager at Hotel UMass, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear KKOF,

I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay at our UMass Hotel. It is always a pleasure to read what our guests have to say about our hotel. I thank you for your honesty and hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have stayed at the UMass Hotel a few times already beginning when we took the campus tour with my son who eventually became a student @ UMass Amherst. I have been up a few times since then and each time has been a great experience. The staff is always so pleasant and friendly. The hotel is always very clean and the rooms are also very clean and neat. I love the convenience of being right on campus for my son but I would definitely stay here otherwise.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Fred M,

I want to thank you for being such a loyal guest. It is always a pleasure to see guests like you and your family returning to our hotel. We look forward to seeing you back soon!
grand rapids, mi
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The UMASS CC Hotel has made great strides since 'back in the day' when a bed in concrete box was how you would have described it. The rooms are well appointed, beds are comfortable, free coffee and cookies are a nice touch.

That said unless you really, really want to be on campus, like the group of old friends I was visitng with last weekend you probably would find another hotel a better fit.

Parking is in the central gagrage a good walk (possibly involving stairs), they had no cab service on a saturday night that would come to the hotel, and the frames around the beds severely bruised me and many of my fellow travellers. The bathroom is beautiful. I love the design; it's just really small.

Staff was excellent.

Room Tip: Normally I would say face the pond, but, just make sure the construction is done.
Green Features: Very green. Took a little while for the water to heat up.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Rascalofcowtown,

I thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experiences at our UMass Hotel. It’s always nice to read each guest take on the hotel. You will be happy to know that we are currently in the process of making changings in the rooms. There will be no more of the boxed bed frames; we hope to have this completed before the end of the summer. Again thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. Safe Travels!
Sudbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Review should really be 4.5 stars! Great location in Campus Center/Student Union Building right in the middle of the campus. Parking Garage underneath is complimentary with your stay. Greeted by very nice and personable student employee at reception. Immaculate rooms and baths looked new and renovated. Beds very comfortable. Even though the room includes continental breakfast in lobby, it was great to have a Keurig in the room for a quick cup of coffee while dressing. Was impressed by facial wipe provided to remove makeup, as well as, the usual toiletries. Only issue we had was the warm temperature of the room. Late at night we attempted to adjust the heat, but were unable to get the room cooler. But it was April, so we opened the window and the temperature became very comfortable. Two things to note: (1) room service closes at 9PM & (2) if you want morning newspaper, you must request during check-in. Will definitely stay there every time we're in Amherst!

Room Tip: Overlooks campus. Ask for view of campus pond.
Green Features: Toiletries in recycled packaging, linen reuse program and ENERGY STAR appliances in room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
umasshotel123, Front Office Manager at Hotel UMass, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Audrey K,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your visit to the UMass Hotel. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay. Again thank you for letting us know about your experiences we look forward to your return.
Minneapolis
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights when visiting the campus with my son who will be attending UMASS next year. Staff was exceptionally friendly & always eager to help. Had good night's sleep. Bed was comfortable but my son & I both had sore backs in the mornings.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Thomas S,

I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the UMass Hotel. It is always a pleasure to have guest visiting campus stay with us. We look for to seeing you and your son back soon.
Hudson, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I recently stayed at The Campus Center Hotel and was pleasantly surprised at the renovations. Lots of upgrades, from the Keurig coffee maker in the room, to the fancy shampoo and conditioner, to the maroon and white decor. As an Alumni, I really enjoyed my stay with a few of my old roomates. The breakfast the next morning was great, and the service from the front desk terrific. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Cathy S,

Thank you for recommending our UMass Hotel. We are so happy to hear that you and your friends had fun being back on campus. We very much look forward to seeing you back soon.
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed at the UMass Hotel and Conference Center in the past for business and most recently pleasure. No matter the occasion, it truly becomes a trip down memory lane each time. For any UMass alum you can relate.

We had fun during this impromptu visit and didn't reserve/check in until very late in the evening/early AM--tried for a low rate via phone, but they weren't budging. We took it in stride and enjoyed the lovely breakfast provided for all guests in the AM.

One staff member named Dax T. shined throughout our short stay and should be recognized for going the extra mile in all that he does. He had the hustle down and maintained a gentle and understanding attitude. I first observed his efforts from afar during breakfast service and then happened to interact with him personally during two separate occasions. He is an asset to the Hotel and Conference Center team at UMass.

Mike was also very helpful in a follow-up call to the hotel following our departure.

GO UMASS!

\

Room Tip: Lots of new dirt (construction in UMass terms) underway. Consult in advance with the UMass hotel sta...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reppop,

We are so pleased you chose to stay with us here at the UMass Hotel. I thank you for recognizing our staff. It is always a pleasure to know when our staff has been able to make a guest experience extra special. We look forward to your next visit to UMass Amherst!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Courtyard Hadley Amherst
Howard Johnson Express Inn - Amherst Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
#6 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Hotel UMass? Share your experiences!