“Convenient, friendly and clean, just what I was looking for”
Review of Hotel UMass

Hotel UMass
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Amherst
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My family stayed at this property for two nights while attending a campus event for the second year in a row. You can't beat the location if you need to be on the U Mass Amherst campus since the hotel is in the middle of it. The rooms are clean and functional with nice bathroom amenities, working HVAC, K-pod coffee maker, and free Wi-Fi. There is free breakfast and coffee all day in the lobby, with a nice selection of both. The staff was helpful and accommodating. The downsides were too hard beds and a nightly charge for a small fridge.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
umasshotel123, Front Office Manager at Hotel UMass, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear Use-2-love2-travel,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the UMass Hotel and Conference Center. I am very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and I appreciate your recommendations about the comfort of the beds and about the small fridges. Safe Travels!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I had always wanted to stay at this hotel and was excited to finally get my chance when I needed to find a place out of the snow. The hotel is extremely well kept and very modern. I love the HD televisions and the great views. The rooms are immensely clean and very well furnished. I was very warm and cozy in my room as the snow came down hard. The bell hop staff in the garage are very helpful and friendly as they helped me check in. The desk staff is one of the best I have ever seen. Professional and full of knowledge about their hotel and campus. They answered every question with ease. The housekeeping staff is also very friendly and quick to offer any assistance needed. The management of the UMASS Hotel and Conference Center should be commended for such a pleasant stay. I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Stay as often as you can or as often as you need to. My business will be bringing me back quite a bi...

Dear Doug K,

I am delighted that you weathered Snow Storm Nemo with us. It is always pleasant to have such wonderful guests stay with us, especially under such extreme conditions. We look forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This hotel is fantastic. Right on campus, clean, friendly and green. We were there for a college visit and found the staff to be very helpful. The rooms were wonderful. Easy to get to where we needed to go. We would go back there in a heartbeat.
Some places just make you feel good. This was one.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Deborah G,

Thank you so much for staying with us at the UMass Hotel and Conference Center. It is always a pleasure to hear back from our guest. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we very much look forward to seeing you back soon!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Pro:
the rooms are very nice, CLEAN, and spacious.
amazing location
Lobby was ok
Cons:
Parking is awful. you have to go into a parking garage, walk through a tunnel that looks like someones been shot in, then scramble through a maze of students going throughout their day,a and finally go upstairs..
The breakfast was nothing special. Just some boring food served by one girl who wasn't too attentive.

I heard that this hotel was run by students, however it appears that only management runs it. The students looked too afraid to make a decision! Every time something out of the ordinary came up, they had to get a supervisor, from reservations to checkout!!

I spoke to a lady who is the manager and she was very nice. we spoke for a long time the first day. The next morning during breakfast however, I saw her screaming at one of her employees right in front of everyone! The poor girl looked like she was going to cry. Then not even 10 minutes later it happened again, but to a boy! Very poor management. She should be embarrassed and fired. I understand that sometimes an employee needs to be told they are doing something wrong, but not screamed at in the lobby!

Overall it was an ok stay, even though the cons out weighed the pros.

Room Tip: Don;t bother staying unless you aren't going to be spending much time in the hotel. I dont like...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Robert K
umasshotel123, General Manager at Hotel UMass, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear Robert K,
Thank you for sharing your impressions and experience with us. We are always trying to improve our service and take all comments seriously and into consideration. We want our staff to be confident and competent and will strive to improve our training and supervision.
Sincerely, David O'Connor, Hotel Manager

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I came to UMass for a business seminar. The staff was very friendly, the food was excellent, varied and hot. The rooms were immaculate and well furnished. All in all, a wonderful experience. Highly reccommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
umasshotel123, Front Office Manager at Hotel UMass, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Terri M,

It was a pleasure to hear about your recent stay at our UMass Hotel and Conference Center. I am glad you enjoyed your experience. We look forward to see you back soon. Safe Travels!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was our second time staying on campus for a seminar. Perfect! The staff -from our first greeting at check-in to the dining staff and the housekeeping staff were all helpful, pleasnat to chat with and informative. The rooms were spacious, well equiped, neat and very clean. Looking forward to staying again.

Dear Linda D,

We are so pleased that you came back to see visit with us. It is always a pleasure to see our guest return. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit, we are always happy to have you stay with us. Safe Travels!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Close to Amherst Center, this hotel has a super friendly staff run by students of the UMass Amherst Hospitality and Management program. It is nicely decorated and comfy. The hallways are wide and the rooms are mostly soundproof.

The bottled water in the rooms is complimentary.

You get what you pay for,

The continental breakfast is just that, plus a few hard boiled eggs.

Room Tip: Choose a room closer to the end of the hall with one neighbor on one side to avoid the loud toilet f...

Dear N T,

I am so pleased that you took the time to let us know about your recent visit to the UMass Hotel and Conference Center. I want to thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We hope to see you back soon! Safe Travels.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Courtyard Hadley Amherst
#5 of 7 in Hadley
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 5 in Northampton

Been to Hotel UMass? Share your experiences!