“Very Nice Experience”

Hotel UMass
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Amherst
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Was able to finally stay in the on campus hotel as most times it is booked up. Very easy to visit with my student daughter, free parking, internet and access to the Body Shop Gym or the UMass Recreation Center ($10 fee). The free breakfast is continental and adequate in that respect. The staff is super friendly and helpful. There was a special rate that really made it a value. I will definitely stay there again whenever it is available.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room away from the elevators for more quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel UMass

Reviewed January 21, 2012

My Daughter is attending UMASS and as we had travelled from the UK, we stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. It was truly 5 star. The room was lovely, clean and modern. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. I would truly recommend this hotel and I would most definitely stay again.

Debbie and Milly Thornton

Room Tip: Double Room with Double Beds
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 17, 2012

The hotel was great. We stayed for a special New Year's eve package they had on their website. We had dinner at the Uclub which was just a short distance from the hotel. The front desk staff was even nice enough to drive us over to the Uclub so we could make our dinner reservations on time. The food was fantastic. The hotel was clean and comfortable and all the staff were so professional. We would totally recommend this to our friends and hope we can go back soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a pond view for a view of campus, we had 4th floor and the view was great!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I reserved a couple of rooms on a weekend in January of 2012 at the UMass Hotel at the Campus Center and I had a great experience. The people at the lobby were very friendly and checked me in right away with adjoining rooms that I requested when making the reservation. I had a scenic view and the rooms were in amaculate condition. There were flat screen TVs w/ quite a selection of channels, comfortable beds, coffee, and a list of places to see on and off campus. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 13, 2012

When the halloween storm hit, UMass and the UMass Hotel were the only place in our area with power on Sunday. It was great to have a place to go to stay warm and dry during a very difficult time in New England and the East Coast. Our room was clean and comfortable and the staff very accomodating. We had plenty of food choices in the building and with dining commons. The community really came together and the campus center stayed open for everyone to charge their computers and cell phones. Great Job!

Room Tip: Even though we weren't happy with the snow, the hotel offers great views!! Ask for a higher flo...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Umass Hotel.The staff was very friendly and professional. I loved the decor and cleanliness of the rooms, Wireless is a great add on.Excellent location especially if you have business on Campus or in town. The view was extremely exceptional.
We look forward to are next visit.

Mr.& Mrs. Allen-Morel

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I booked this hotel because I was in the area on business and online advertising said this was the best hotel in Amherst. If this is the best in town, I shudder to think what the other places must be like!

As soon as I got here I had a bad feeling. The hotel was not easily found nor could you access it from the main roads. It also looks very outdated from the outside. An ugly concrete building that is throw back to the early 70's. They must have done some serious photoshop work on the picture for the website. Notice it's far away? Because it's very ugly when you are outside of it.

It's actually above the campus center, so you are forced to park in a parking garage. Then you have to walk through a wierd underground tunnel into the Campus center. The hotel lobby is another floor up. So if you didn't pack light, getting in and out is really a pain!

The rooms have been updated, but the elevators are ancient! Very loud and you can feel them vibrating the building through the entire hotel.

The rooms look nice, but not very sound proof. There is almost a two inch gap under the door, so you can hear everthing going on in the hall. Also the door to join two rooms together is not soundproofed either, so you can hear everything going on in the room next to yours. Some things I just don't want to hear!

There is no restaurant in the hotel, No pool, no gym. nothing! All there is for food choices is eating at the campus cafeteria or go into town. The food was terrible and I got heartburn.

I had the heater in my room at the highest temperate and still my room was very drafty. The bathrooms were cramped, just a shower, no bathtub.

They had wide screen hd tv's on the walls, but were feeding old standard definition signal to it. Looked terrible.

I asked to be in a quiet room and even though I was down the hall from the elevators, I could feel them rumbling all night long. Good thing I had earplugs or I would not have gotten a wink of sleep.

I came here to work quietly for my bussiness, and I did'nt get anything done because the noise was too distracting. I had to keep the tv on and turn up the volume to try to drown out the noisy elevators and the bed squeaking in the room next to me. At least someone had a good time!

don't stay here! stay far away! Seriously, you will hate it, and it's not even worth $50.00 a night!

Room Tip: Here's a tip, do not stay here!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Paul A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Courtyard Hadley Amherst
Holiday Inn Express Amherst-Hadley
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley
Howard Johnson Express Inn - Amherst Hadley
Fairfield Inn & Suites Springfield Northampton/Amherst

Been to Hotel UMass? Share your experiences!