“Not so great”

Ranked #1 of 12 Amherst B&B and Inns
Camarillo
“Not so great”
Reviewed September 9, 2007

I picked the Lord Jeffrey Hotel because of it's proximity to UMass Amherst. I came from California and wanted to be as close as possible so I could check my daughter into school and help her as needed. The only good thing about this hotel WAS the proximity! We arrived with several pieces of luggage (College stuff) One weighed almost a 100 lbs. There was no bellman to help and our room was down three flights of stairs(no elevator) I never would have picked this if I knoew I was going to lug the suitcases myself. It was almost impossible. We were told the college was within walikng distance and asked the front dest if this was true. He said yes so we walked, and walked, and walked. We made it there but were vey tired. Then we saw a bus go by. We asked someone and they told us the bus was free and one on the stops is right next to the Lord Jeff Hotel. I can't beieve the man at the front desk forgot to give us that minor detail! There was a wedding right ouside my french doors (so loud I couln't hear the TV.) The restaurant was awful , service was nonexistant.
My best advice for anyone staying at this hotel is BEWARE!

• Liked — The outside appearance
  • Disliked — It's worn and tired, Service not good
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank SAKCamarillo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Naples, Florida
Reviewed July 28, 2007

Across from Amherst C. Helpful, friendly staff and very good food at reasonable prices. However, we were placed in a small cramped room (double bed), really unfit for two people. I understand that they have larger rooms,so check with the staff before making a final reservation. Nrhdkk

2 Thank nrhdkk
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 18, 2007

We just returned from a very nice long weekend stay at the Lord Jeff. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Room service breakfast was very good; staff was very attentive and friendly.

The location is terrific - near Amherst College and U Mass. and all downtown shops and restaurants. The food at the Tavern was very good and reasonably priced.

We would absolutely return. The charm of the inn is a nice change of pace from hotel chains.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank anonymous005
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed June 9, 2007

Parents stayed here and have done so for many previous trips to Amherst. The hotel is a lovely inn, but is looking a little worse for wear. The beds in their room were saggy, the shower asthmatic, and most of the fixtures and furniture is looking a little beat up. The staff could not be nicer and more accomodating. Had breakfast at the bar/dining room and had to say it was pretty average. Pancake was not so hot and the homefries were very salty. My parents said they would probably book elsewhere on their next trip into town.

• Liked — Staff were great
  • Disliked — needs some upgrading and repairs
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Glon Drack
New York City
Reviewed June 3, 2007

I was very excited to spend a weekend getaway from NYC at the Lord Jeffrey. It had a great reputation in the past, but I am not sure if it still holds. It DEFINITELY needs some refreshing. It felt old and a little dingy with stale room air. I had to pry open a window with a book to get a clean breeze of air for a few minutes. I stayed in a corner room that was very sunny. Unfortunately, the room was freezing
(the heater was only blowing cold air) and the bathroom was very drafty. To my dismay, every shower that I took that weekend was ice cold. It definitely did not have an air of luxury inside the room.

Breakfast was included in my weekend package. It was fortunately very
fresh. The service was really good, and the staff very nice.

I was happy to find some nice antique "treasures" for sale in the lobby, so at least I left with some beautiful purchases to take home.

Amherst is lovely and quaint. The location of the Inn is ideal. I just wish they would spruce up the rooms paying a little more attention to detail and comfort.

• Liked — The location and the staff
  • Disliked — No hot water and the room was freezing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Tribeca22
Reviewed May 19, 2007

We have just returned from a weekend at the Lord Jeffrrey. We stayed in a king suite, which was a large room, but the bed was lumpy, there was construction noise from a site just behind the hotel, and there was no AC, despite a mid-May heatwave.

The manager was nice enough to take 10% off the total room price, but we didn't sleep at all the first night, and the second night were awakened by the construction site noise.

The Holiday Inn Express, despite its location on Rte. 9, and general blandness, is starting to look good for the money, which is a shame, because with a top to bottom renovation, the Lord Jeff could become again, the best place in town.

Stayed May 2007
2 Thank WWK
PA
Reviewed March 17, 2007

We had our wedding at the Lord Jeffery Inn in 2006 and it was an amazing and very easy experience!!! The wedding coordinator and entire staff bent over backwards to make the wedding as easy and smooth as possible. They were attentive, flexible, and affordable -- even during high season (June).

The Inn is very charming and in a perfect location for guests to explore downtown Amherst without having to drive. The food was outstanding, the Inn was lovely, and the entire experience was amazing. All my guests had a wonderful time. I cannot recommend it enough. I saw a complaining review from the previous year, so I just had to post my very positive experience.

Good for a charming weekend in the Berkshires, perfect location, good food and good service!

• Liked — Quaint atmosphere, good service, excellent location
  • Disliked — No off street parking (they do give you permits), books up quickly during high season
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank gtaphilly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Hotel UMass
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst
Hotel Northampton
Hotel Northampton
#2 of 5 in Northampton

Been to Lord Jeffery Inn? Share your experiences!