“A good place to meet friends, but the food is ok...”

Kaptain Jimmy's Restaurant and Distillery
Ranked #27 of 49 Restaurants in Agawam
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Westfield, Massachusetts
“A good place to meet friends, but the food is ok...”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I think it is a bit overpriced for the quality of food you get.. Fine place to hang with your friends.. Often out of some of the beers you are interested in.. I don't like the girls outfits.. A bit much.. I do like that they do offer a beer special...

Visited March 2013

“Good atmosphere and food.”
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

First time at Captain Jimmy's. the bar was very long with tons of beer on draft. Was surprised to leard they are owned by Opa Opa Brewery in Southampton. Food was good and priced for a good value. They even have $5 dinner specials. Will return.

Costa Rica
“Improving”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I think KJ's got off to a rocky start but is improving. I live in Agawam, so it's a convenient place to go, particularly when it's late and I just need a quick bite. I've been there well over 10 times, so I've watched their growing pains. They now have some great specials -- a $5 menu up to 5 p.m. (or maybe 5:30?) all week, and all day Tues. and Saturday. You have to purchase a beverage to get the $5 meal, but it's still a great price. They also have $2 draft beer specials all day.

Other specials are featured on a regular basis, and they look like good deals. I haven't tried either the all-you-can-eat prime rib (which is around $11) or the surf and turf (I think under $15), so I can't review the food but the price is certainly right.

Some of the dishes I'd recommend include: the pulled pork sandwich, broiled scrod, chicken sandwich, spring rolls, and stew (there are more that are good, but I just can't think of them at the moment). Dishes to avoid would include the monte christo sandwich, chili, and nachos. I have not ordered many of the entrees, so I can't rate those. I did have the stuffed shrimp when the restaurant was under its former name, and that was horrible (like something you'd buy frozen at Costco, but much more expensive). I'm not sure if they kept the same stuffed shrimp once the restaurant changed names.

The servers are usually friendly and efficient but don't read customers very well. They seem to perpetually interrupt conversations. Instead of waiting for a break in the conversation, they just barge in, and it's really annoying. Some of the servers try to be a bit too friendly, and hang around to talk your ears off. There's also an older man (is this Kaptain Jimmy?) who wanders through the restaurant trying to shake hands with patrons. Does this guy not know about the flu and other viruses going around? The last thing I want to do at a restaurant is shake hands with someone.

Overall, it's a nice atmosphere for an inexpensive meal and drinks. The waitstaff and management need some polishing, but the restaurant is slowly improving.

agawam
“Service was good food was very poor.. Manager was worse”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

took my wife there for her birthday. It took 1.5 hrs for food and we were getting ready to leave. The food arrived and was inedible. The waitress was so embarrassed that her manager wouldn't come talk to us. Our waitress was great and a professional and should be the manger. The manager walked by us several times and we were told she was too busy. We aren't kids and wont be treated like dirt at any restaurant. We are their demographic target- mid 40s and professional but this manager didn't care. She was checking her cell phone and too busy for customers.
Spend your hard earned money somewhere that can cook well and appreciate customers. I should have gone to the Federal they are consistently the best in all of western mass. I wont stray from the Federal again. Opa Opa owners shame on you for allowing this to happen in the community. You need to change your management and announce it. I will continue to host my staff retirement parties somewhere else. No way will I give you guys my money again.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have been here about 6 or 7 times now and LOVE this restaurant! The service is always well beyond expectations, along with a large menu selection, of which all food I have tried is excellent. They also have many specials such as unlimited prime rib a few days a week for $12 and many $5 specials daily. Would highly reccomend this restaurant.