“what an inspiration!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New Jersey
“what an inspiration!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2008

I just wanted to write a few lines of gratitude after the beautiful discovery of Topia Inn! I was so pleasantly surprised by the warmth, beauty and comfort of the Inn; but most of all, I felt safe in a way you can hardly feel in a room other than your own. This is the most well-taken care Inn I have ever been. It is so nice to know there are people creating these places with such consciousness, with such respect for the wellness of everybody and the planet itself, and so pretty ;-) Thank you! This has been a very inspiring experience!

• Liked — the consciousness and care behind it
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2008

I have stayed in many other bed and breakfasts and in my opinion this one stands out as the best option I have found so far. The whole place is beautiful. The rooms are gorgeously designed, very stylish, each with a different motif and as the rest of the inn, very much oriented towards respecting the environment. Everything pertaining to bedding as well as most of the food, and the self care products, is organic. Even my bathroom was amazing, with a big bathtub with the options of a whirpool type of motor and of turning on a system of lights that will vary the color of the water. I actually got a chance to meet the owners, who live at the Inn during a part of the year. They were always around working along with the rest of the staff and were very friendly and accommodating to me. I felt that they have a great sense of diligence and a genuine hospitalarian spirit. I made special requests and these were met with true interest and great disposition. I would definitely recommend this bed and breakfast to anybody wanting to escape the ordinary and experience a very unique stay.

• Liked — It is a stylish and warm environment
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hartford, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2008

I stayed at the Topia Inn over the weekend for one evening, and it was highly enjoyable! The room was gorgeous, the bed was incredibly comfortable, the spa tub was fantastic. The fixtures in the bathroom were very modern and definitely not what you see everywhere else, I loved the vanity. The products provided for our use were mostly ok, the body wash was amazing but the shampoo/conditioner could have been better, it didn't work that well with my hair. However in comparison to everything else, that's a minor detail and I was pleased overall with everything that was provided to us.

Overall the place was fantastic. However I did have a few small gripes. For starters, we had booked the Moroccan room. When we arrived we were told that the person staying there before us had decided to extend her stay and therefore we were moved to a comparable room and given a small discount for the inconvenience. I don't quite understand why they didn't inform the other guest that the room was already booked and put her in a different room. Maybe that's the norm for B&B's but I felt like we should have received the room that we requested since we booked two weeks in advance. Also, my companion let the rules slip his mind momentarily and used one spray of cologne before dinner. When we returned, his belongings were lined up on the desk counter with a note reminding him he could not use them while he stayed there as he was disturbing other guests. While I understand the need for the reminder and we made sure to review the guidelines for the inn after that, I felt it was intrusive that the owner went into my companions bag and pulled things out to label them as inappropriate. A simple reminder to review the guidelines for what was and was not acceptable would have been more than sufficient.

Overall I would recommend this inn for people who would have an easier time following the guidelines. As my companion and I were not used to the organic nature of the place, we felt a little restricted and "watched" while we were there. I can't say for sure if we would stay here again but if this is the type of lifestyle (for lack of a better word) that you already follow, this is definitely worth checking out!

• Liked — Bathroom, bed
  • Disliked — Intrusive staff, last minute changes to the accomodations
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JeniCue
MusicOfNana, Owners at Topia Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2008
We spent a few years renovating this abandoned lodge in the center of Adams because we built it green whereas most places would have been finished alot sooner. We did the "green" before it became trendy to think that way. It has been quite an adventure. From the architects to the contractors, to the workers themselves. No one wanted to be bothered. It was too much trouble. But once they started using the green materials they commented on how much better it felt to them to be building a non toxic inn.
Once we opened up and we purchased all organic beds and linens, it became a challenge to keep everything pure. We wanted people to experience what a pure night sleep could be. So we researched all the possibilities of products that a person may want or need. From shampoos, shaving creams, deodorants to hairsprays and gels, lotions and conditioners, we stocked all the rooms with chemical free products to make it really simple for our guests. Just leave your products at home so we can keep our linens and beds pure for you and the next person. It has been amazing how many people were into this idea from the start. We turned quite a few guests onto products they had not heard of before as an alternative to ones with chemical fragrances.
The folks who reviewed us, as they mentioned, had not seen our policies and had not read our email explanation so they did not know about the chemical free environment. So we left a note for them in their room when we did the turn down service, asking them to refrain from using the products they brought into the room with them and it seemed as if they were OK with it.
Many of our guests have chemical sensitivities and cannot go to a regular hotel or B&B but they can stay here with us. We are happy to be able to provide an alternative place for people to choose.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adams
The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA
#5 of 13 in Williamstown
Berkshire Hills Country Inn
Berkshire Hills Country Inn
#8 of 13 in Williamstown

Been to Topia Inn? Share your experiences!