Bascom Lodge
Topia Inn(Adams)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsappalachian trailbathrooms and showersmount greylockcakesqueen bedbooked a private roompotatoesfree coffee and muffinsmountain topnight stayrecommend it to anyonenorth adamshikerssunsettowercloudsdinner
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This historic wood and stone lodge built by the Civilian Conservation Corp is perfectly situated among fields of wildflowers and stands of fir trees at the summit of Mount Greylock, the highest mountain in Massachusetts. The Appalachian Trail runs beside the lodge at mile 1583 from Springer Mt. GA and mile 602 from Katahdin ME. Even though we've hiked 2/3 of the Trail, nothing could compare with the setting, the peace and simplicity of this place. The views are spectacular, the weather ranging from cool fog in the morning to clear and sunny in the afternoon with a constant cooling breeze easily appreciated through a large covered porch and the Lodge's open windows. We stayed with friends in a clean and neat bunk room that had access to clean and neat bathrooms and showers. Happy Hour on the porch with local beer and good wine selections was fun but the prix fixe 3 course dinner in a spacious, yet cozy dining room was superb! We had salad of bibb lettuce, avocado, walnuts, pickled beets, entree of beef tenderloin with creamy risotto, spinach, kale, and caramelized onion gratin, and dessert of homemade lemon ginger ice cream and sugar cookie. Breakfast started the next morning with self serve coffee and the absolute best blueberry muffin I've ever eaten - right out of the oven. Breakfast and lunch entrees were substantial and excellently prepared. The owners are hiker and cycler friendly and very helpful in storing belongings to enable day hikes and rides. Our entire group wants to return and to bring family and other friends although we made friends with many hikers and even towns people while we were there. I would never tire of this place and its beauty, serenity, and special spirit. I love Bascom Lodge!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Deblizbrady
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The remodeled rooms are beautifully furnished.We had the "suite" which included Robert Morris wallpaper, rich woods, and a remodeled bathroom too. This place is a mix of great things and falling-apart bits. The managers have taken on the task of undoing generations of neglect and should be given some slack and encouragement where they have more to do - as it is clear that they have made personal financial commitments to renew this property. Amazingly excellent food and wine. Wi-Fi worked great even on the mountain top. Views are fantastic, though we did get fogged in for part of each day. The lighthouse tower is impressive by day and surreal by night. Note that you do need to give at least 3 hours notice for dinner. The staff do not always answer the phone and we were unable to make a dinner reservation for our second night, and were of course disappointed. All of the staff are friendly and knowledgeable about local history as well as current events. However, Peter needs to improve his appearance and hygiene. The dark common room/den was fun and the dining and picnic areas made for a nice contrast. I intend to come back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank traveltode
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Bascom lodge was built in the 30s atop the highest peak in Massachusetts - Mount Greylock. We stayed overnight in a family lodge. There are pros to staying here - it is a historic building built in the Arts and Crafts Style, it has a lot of history and it is on top of the peak so you can easily take in beautiful views, sunrises and sunsets. The staff was actually quite nice and accommodating (and that is the only reason this is two stars and not one star). Plus, the lodge was very clean.

The cons are quite long to list. The rooms are very bare. We had a "family" room with a full size bed plus a bunk bed. The only furniture in the room was one tall dresser. There were no nightstands. There wasn't even a mirror and considering that there was one shared bathroom for 6 rooms including a bunk room, it was annoying to have to walk down the hall to brush my hair. There is no A/C. I'm not sure if there is heat - at least it isn't controlled in the individual rooms. Because the lodge is at the top of a peak, it gets quite windy. Someone left the window open in the ladies' room and the halls were quite cold by midnight. There are shared bathrooms. The men's room has a shower but the woman's room does not. There is a hall shower for woman to use which consists of one stall and no toilet.

My biggest complaint was that the lodge was LOUD. The building carries sound from everywhere in the lodge to your room. Our room (Room 6) was at the top of the stairs. We heard everyone come up the stairs into the lodge. We could hear other people talking in their rooms. We could hear kids running up and down the hall. We also were across from the shared men's room so we had the music of the men's room all night long since all six rooms shared the men's room. Our window overlooked the entrance to the lodge so we heard everyone coming and going until 11pm even though the window was closed. The noise didn't really settle down until close to midnight. Then at 5am, we heard hooting and hollering outside as hikers and runners began to arrive at the peak. If that didn't get us up, we also heard our neighbor's alarm go off at 6 am, 6:15 am and 6:30 am. We got no sleep.

We also didn't take showers. We are hikers so we were looking forward to hot showers. The hotel provides soap but no shampoo or conditioner. Worse, we were urged to take the fastest possible shower and told that the showers only get warm. We heard other guests complaining about cold showers and decided not to bother (yuck).

Based on how noisy and spartan the lodge is, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It's pretty basic to expect a good night's sleep in reasonable quiet and a hot shower. Plus, we paid $150 for the room which was utterly not worth it.

Room Tip: We didn't enjoy room 6 but I'm not sure if any other rooms were better.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank oceanblue1
Reviewed June 11, 2013

On a clear day, you can see for miles. Our room was small but comfortable and clean. Great hot shower! Cozy fireplace room. Supper menu is limited to two prix fixe choices, but apparently you must give prior notice if you want the vegetarian selection. We were not made aware of this, and so the vegetarian option was not available since no one else knew to reserve it either! The dinner was delicious. There is homemade ice cream available to purchase anytime from a little freezer and it is yummy. The place is a little quirky in its operations, and kind of minimalist, but nicer than a hostel. The single room pricing is kind of steep ($135). We stayed 2 nights and were not given fresh towels and continental breakfast is only coffee/tea and muffins. But we liked the friendly hikers and amazing surroundings and proximity to some great hiking trails.

Room Tip: We stayed in a first floor room and it was quiet. No problem sharing the large bathroom.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa B
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I booked a private room for two nights and was given the key and escorted to room #8 located on the 1st floor which was nicer than I thought. On Saturday when I returned from a very strenuous hike, I was told by Reyna the receptionist that she had moved my belongings to another room #3 on the second floor because they had made a mistake. I was surprised that our property which consisted of iPads and iPods were moved along with our personal belongings without our prior consent or permission. I was surprised since Reyna was the one who checked us in on Friday and never mentioned a room change during our stay. I voiced my concern of the move without my consent. It fell on deaf ears. I am an avid hiker and will not recommend the Bascom lodge at all. The bathrooms and showers on the second floor are in need of upgrading especially when the water temperature cannot be controlled once your in the shower. Best to stay in one of the many accommodations located in the towns below the summit.

Room Tip: Ask if you have the same room for your entire stay.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple