“Lunch on the deck” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Red Raven Gastropub
Ranked #9 of 60 Restaurants in Acton
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Boston area
“Lunch on the deck”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

Had a lunch with 4 of us at Red Raven today and I have to say everything was excellent! We sat out on the deck in the shade of the overhang, looking out across the pond. The waitress was quite prompt in bringing us waters. We ordered some drinks and I had a Hoponius Union, which is a local from Jacks abbey brewing that they had on tap. It was delicious at $7. The prices on the menu were a little uneven with $14 burgers and $11 for fish-n-chips. The haddock in the fish-n-chips was very fresh and the coating was crisp. It included onion rings and fries, without my even needing to ask, which is how I prefer it. Two people got The Godfather sandwich and one got the Poe's Revenge. Everyone enjoyed their meals and thought the food was very good.

The service was excellent, although the place was nearly deserted. Definitely recommend as a lunch spot on a nice summer afternoon.

1 Thank px64

Boston, Massachusetts, USA
“We should have listened!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

My husband and I have been wanting to try Red Raven so we went for dinner last night. I did some research yesterday and was surprised by the poor reviews both for food and service but we decided to try it anyway. We arrived about 8:00pm to a mostly empty restaurant. Our server Sam was very sweet but seemed untrained. We ordered the Peppers and Rings, fried calamari on a bed of sauteed sweet and spicy peppers. It was just okay, kind of lukewarm. My husband ordered the fish and chips for dinner and I ordered the raven flatbread. My husband is very particular about his fish hating when fish tastes "fishy" but he thought it was very good except for the coating which was falling off almost as though it had been fried then left to sit so the residual heat from the fish steamed off the coating. Fries and a couple of onion rings were lukewarm. My raven flatbread sounded delicious containing all the elements that I tend to love, confit chicken, roasted figs, bacon, goat cheese, arugula and pickled red onion. The flatbread was bland and limp, the confit chicken had a strange taste, not bad but off putting. The rest of the ingredients were fine so I just ate them off the flatbread. Needless to say, we won't go back unless maybe for a drink. It's too bad because it's a great space and if done well would be a much needed addition to the area.

1 Thank Mary K
Brooklyn, New York
“Good Food, Service Could be Better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

I've had dinner here twice. The menu has interesting/unique items and the food tastes good so no complaints there. Everything is fresh which I love!They also have a good selection of beer.

The only reason I gave this place a rating of 3 is because of the service. Nobody has been rude, just a bit out of touch. The first time I ate here the server was really forgetful. The second time I ate here the server (by accident of course) spilled an entire glass of water all over my back and lap. I honestly could care less about the spill, it was water and life's too short to get upset... what threw me off is that he didn't really apologize or try to resurrect the situation. It was just a little strange. All of this could be a fluke... maybe I happened to get people two servers who were both just having off nights, happens to the best of us.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank amsaysam
Boston
“A lovely surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

This was our first time at the Red Raven, and we had no idea what to expect. We just knew they had outdoor seating with a water view, which was just what we wanted. When we arrived, we were told it would be a half hour wait for the patio, or we could be seated inside immediately. We opted for inside, but then were pleasantly surprised to find that there was a large screened porch with room for six or eight tables, each one looking out over the pond. No bugs, nice breeze, perfect! That set the tone for a perfect evening with great food, great service, and great music that started at 9:00pm. The cuisine was creative, the portions large (next time I would share my entree), and I had a blueberry mojito (called the Bluebird) that was incredible. Our server, Jonathan, was personable, attentive, and knowledgeable about the menu. His recommendations were spot-on, and he made a lovely evening even better.

2 Thank LoveToTravel8
“Not for everyone”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

The menus. Imply some imagination but the dishes rely on butter to carry the day. The dishes we tried were not inspiring. The service was good the food was edible, the ambiance was quiet as the place was almost empty.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Irwin A

Been to The Red Raven Gastropub? Share your experiences!