“Off to a good start, service still a little erratic”
Review of Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets
Ranked #44 of 61 Restaurants in Acton
Cuisines: American
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a new restaurant in the old Friendly's space. I've eaten there 3 times in the last 3 weeks. In each case the service is what kept my rating down.
The Pros: Food is good, and the shakes are very much so. Expect to spend about $30 for two, if you get big burgers, fries, and shakes. Cute 50's style decor.
The cons: the staff is still learning-- very inefficient at times. It can be amusing (or aggravating, depending on your patience level) to sit at the counter and watch the staff in action. The shake station especially seems like a free-for-all-- multiple servers all trying to make shakes at the same time-- one or two succeeding , while others are watching and awaiting their turn. (If you can't find your server to get a water or your check, he's probably in line at the shake machine!)

Getting all the food to the table at the same time is a challenge-- but I have to assume they'll get better as time goes on.

One thing that is confusing to new customers, and needs to be fixed: There seems to be no rhyme or reason to handling seating when you walk in the door-- especially when it is busy. Do I ask someone for a table? or am I supposed to look for an opening,and try to figure out how many of the half dozen or more people in the waiting area are ahead of me or just waiting for takeout?
I've been there three times, seen three different ways it is handled.

There are newer reviews for Johnny Rockets

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I am competely blown away with this restaurant. I've been here multiple times including this past sunday. The decor and atmosphere provide a fast, fun, yet quality theme to the restaurant. Best burgers I have had in a while. . And a quality shake that doesn't come out of a machine! Also I don't know why the other reviewer was talking about the owners attire... For me it was nice to see an owner working like he does. Bussing tables talking to guests. . Etc. The only problem is the staff is new, but that comes with time. I'm someone who works in the restaurant industry and as long as the food stays where it's at, me and my children will continue to go!

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I saw a lot of angry customers at this restaurant. Typical picky Acton locals who are used to having everything handed to them. Personally I think this restaurant is off to an amazing start and although a bit disorganized with the new staff, I think they will do very well. I was very pleased with my service and the food was worth the wait. My advice to the owner would be to be more picky about who they hire. I had a tiny little highschool girl as my server who kept my family entertained and our stomachs happy. She even got us balloons and spelled my daughters name with our ketchup! however the table behind me got metiocure service. Other than that, AMAZING place!

1  Thank Tom R
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We went to the new Johney Rockets which has just opened up in the Roche Brothers Plaza in Acton. At 7:30 there was about a 10 minute wait on a Wednesday. They nailed the frappes just like Johney Rocket's ones should taste like. Hamburger was great as well. Still some service issues mbut they are trying. Our french fries came after the meal was done but they didn't charge us for them so no big deal. The new owner (maybe manager?) was all over the place and asked us how everything was doing. I said great but was thinking perhaps he should have used a few of the bucks to buy himself a new outfit (new black polo and black trousers no sneakers). He also needs to spend some time training his staff. There was no one clearly assigned to capture names of people waiting (the owner was occassionally coming up and asking people) Problem was the some of his staff trying to be helpful were telling other new customers to just sit anywhere which was really pissing off other people who had been waiting longer. That complaint aside a much better addition to the area than the Friendly's that was there and I am sure they will get the kinks out.

1  Thank PekingDuck
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was excited to see that Johnny Rockets had finally opened in the old Friendly's location. They were busy so we decided to get a vanilla shake to go. We waited over 10 minutes to place our order since there wasn't anyone on the register. Then it took 20 minutes to have the shake made. They seemed very disorganized and it is unfortunate since the theme and menu were great.

Been to Johnny Rockets? Share your experiences!