“Try to get a table in the bar”
Review of Abington Ale House

Abington Ale House
Reserve with OpenTable
Abington Ale House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 47 Restaurants in Abington
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2012

The food is a little better than average, and the menu shows a little creativity. The restaurant side is quite noisy, and because the Birthday celebrant gets a free meal, you will quickly tire of the singing. You can request no singing for your Birthday. We think that the service on the bar side is a little better as well.

There are newer reviews for Abington Ale House

Reviewed October 13, 2011

I have tried so hard to like the Abington Ale House. It's a locally family owned establishment very popular with the locals. The restaurant is always loud, very crowded,
and the food average at best. Be prepared for a long wait even weeknights. The menu is fairly basic, however, the portions are enormous. There are some very good appetizers such as the nachos and onion rings. The fresh baked bread is delicious. Desserts are tasty and ideal for sharing. Their weakness is the entrees which are just bland, even the burgers. There's not really a single entree I would recommend.

The Ale House has potential. They should find a way to separate the bar area from the main dining room as this contributes to a huge source of noise. They could also offer more healthier menu offerings that feature smaller portions. They should also do more to make their waiting area larger and more open as well. There sometimes is a huge bottleneck by the door as people are waiting for tables and there are customers exiting as well, it can be very confusing.

I personally would not recommend the Abington Ale House say for dinner. For appetizers, drinks, and dessert it's just fine.

1  Thank jamesway
Reviewed March 2, 2011

Stopped today on my birthday because of a big sign out front that says you eat free on your birthday. I am not the cheap sort - I was going to spend some time and money on other things at the bar too - including a nice big tip for the bartender. Just to be sure I didn't run afoul of any rules for the free meal i decided to ask before eating vs. waiting till the end.

It was then I was told "well you only can get a free meal if there is another meal on the check" As in, the sign out front is a great big lie!

If they are comfortable with such bait and switch on that level it makes me wonder about the food being as advertised too.

One good thing - she had already poured me a beer that I got to leave on the bar - waste my time, waste your beer. DON't GO!

4  Thank ronnyg89
Reviewed November 27, 2009

I sat in the bar section, and the bar seemed busy. Cheap drinks, and decent food. I recommend for families and young couples.

1  Thank daisykatherine
Reviewed March 29, 2009

the bar tries to overcharge you and tries to add drinks to your tab. At first i thought I was crazy but the second time I knew they were scum. Don't go there, the service sucks and so does the food!

4  Thank fredphilly1