“Great location, disappointing experience.”

Crowne Plaza Annapolis
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Alexandria, VA
“Great location, disappointing experience.”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here and had a disappointing experience. Unfortunately we arrived very late, around 11 pm, and were given a 2nd floor room near to the elevators. Turns out that the door to the hallway allows all noises to enter the room, so we spent the night listening to the elevators open and close, as well as the voices of everyone who carried on a conversation in the hallway all night long. The second day we asked to be moved and the front desk kindly complied. We picked up all our belongings and moved to the 5th floor, but this room had a door to an adjoining room, so not only could we hear everything going on in the hallway, but could also hear everything said in the adjoining room. This was worse than before. The front desk felt bad and were kind enough to give us a Club Level room on the 6th floor. These rooms were really no different than the other rooms. This was a much quieter location though so we settled in and as we were about to hit the hay, we noticed a urine stain on the fitted sheet. We were exasperated at this, and Housekeeping was no longer in the building. The front desk sent up a new fitted sheet and my wife and I ended up re-making the bed when we were already exhausted. The front desk felt even worse and gave us two complimentary breakfast coupons to eat in the hotel. In addition to the noise issues, there were several other things that drove us crazy. The wireless internet was ungodly slow, the business center printer and computers were as well. One of the two elevators was out of service and resulted in horribly slow elevator wait times. Last but not least was that all of the showers had the same issue with the water going from hot to cool and back again every minute or so. Other than those problems, this was a nice convenient location, good food, nice interior appearance, nice eat-in bar/bistro combo area with inviting fireplace and TV viewing, and plenty of convenient accessible parking.

Room Tip: Get a room farthest from the elevators and preferably on the Club Level.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LongballBB
Daryl S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Annapolis, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear LongballBB, thank you for taking the time to give us such valuable feedback on how we can get better. We take feedback very seriously and use it to make us better with our service and hotel. I am sorry about all the noise and am embarrased about the sheets. I was happy to hear the desk went out fo their way to try and make things right wiht your stay. We are working on many aspects of the hotel to make us better and that includes fast elevator and internet! I hope that you give us another try when you travle plans have you coming back through the area so you can see the imporvements we make every day. We look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I agree with a previous reviewer...this place just made me feel sad. I'm considering a relocation to Annapolis, and staying in this area did not help convince me. It's surrounded by chain restaurants and a mall. The hotel is a bit dirty, the room a bit dingy. Would be much nicer if it was located near town.

Also, when I was there there was an electrical fire in the elevator at 4:30 in the morning. Handled extremely disorganized. No one had any idea what was going on for at least 30 minutes. Also, the alarms stopped ringing and I almost went back to bed. Before I did I called to check if something was awry, to which I was told to immediately leave. When I walked down the stairwell, there was no emergency personell or staff to help guide patrons, even though the stairwell went through a kitchen and back of house locations.

Additionally, I asked for my room to be situated near an elevator as a woman travelling alone. I went to my room, and realized that I was actually put at the other end of the hallway. I also found out when I evacuated that my door simply did not lock. This probably scared me more than the fire itself. Locks on hotel doors are imperative. I reported this multiple times, once on the phone when I got back to the room and once in person. I waited about 45 minutes for them to deal with it until I decided to just go back to my room and sleep as it was 5:30 am.

If you can stay elsewhere in the area I suggest you do.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Caitlin Z
Dear Tempranill0, I am terribly sorry about your recent stay and the incident at our hotel. There are always things to be learned in emergency situations and we are better now for this. The elevator is fixed as well as any lock issues. We take pride in delivering great customer service and I am sorry we failed you. I sincerely hope you can understand these incidents as isolated ones and that you give us another opportunity to make it up to you. Please reach out to me direcly and I am happy to personally make your next comp stay for your reservation. We look forward to your next stay being perfect! GM Daryl
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Great value for a stay in Annapolis. Front Desk and Housekeeping staff very friendly.
Rooms are well-kept and Staff in the Club Lounge especially pleasant. Conveniently located amidst several restaurants and the mall is across the street for convenience.
We have stayed several times and really enjoy overselves each time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank yourwdgplanner
Daryl S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Annapolis, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear yourwdgplanner, thank you so much for the nice review and sharing your comments. We take pride in being the cleanest and friendliest hotel in town and I am glad you noticed! We apprecaite you contining to stay with us and look forward to your next visit!
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Would never stay at this hotel again. The doors leading to the connecting room had mold growing. The room has fleas jumping everywhere. The Heating unit made sound all night like it could not keep up raming up and down. The hall carpet is torn and looks like dogs urine all over it. Going down the elevator it jumps up and down when it's on the floor(drops really scary and someone can get hurt, asked the guy who works on the building and he said it always does that really!!) Also don't tell you what floor your on so gotta guess if your on the right floor. Really Sad place and should be a junk yard and not a hotel. A Sheraton by a hospital that will send you there from the problems wrong with this place.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Wmatt
Daryl S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Annapolis, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
New and Improved Sheraton !! Dear Wmatt, I was terribly sorry about your experience and you have my sincere apology. Please note that we are updateing our hotel often and as of a few months ago the elevators were fixed and we now have brand new cabs as well. As for the rooms we are striving every day to have the cleanest in town. We have even freshly painted some and continue to update them. We have not seen any evidence of mold or fleas in our hotel, however we take feeback very seriously and will investigare. We hope you come back to see our new and improved hotel!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel was excellent! The rooms are spacious and clean. The food in the Club Lounge was good and the staff was friendly and accomodating. It's located across the street from shopping and the mall which made it the ideal location. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Annapolis, MD

Room Tip: Don't stay on the freeway side...Kind of noisy but tolerable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sbwilliams5370
Daryl S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Annapolis, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear sbwilliams5370, thank you for letting everyone know about our Excellent hotel. I apprecaite you taking the time out of your busy day to let everyone know we are the place to stay when visiting the area. We take great pride in our hotel and we are glad you noticed. We look forward to you coming back soon!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed for a night early December and had a great stay. The front desk was courteous and accommodating, even though they didn't inform me at the time of check-in that they would add a temporary charge on my card. It would have been appropriate to notify me ahead of time since most hotels will take a credit card upon check-in but they won't make any charges even if it was temporary. The room was clean and spacious and conveniently located right across from the mall and many shops. Overall it was a nice experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank KittyW15
Daryl S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Annapolis, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear puddwick, thank you for letting everyone know you had an Excellent Stay. Thank you for pointing our the clean and spacious rooms we have. We look forward to you coming back soon to stay with us!
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed overnight for New Year's Eve 2012, and it turned out to be a good choice. Expedia messed up our reservation, but the desk clerk was patient while I straightened it out, and was as helpful as she could be, given the problem was not with Sheraton. Though we were initially given a room by the elevator, our request to be moved farther away from it was quickly accommodated.

The room was clean and relatively spacious. The bed was quite comfortable. The bathroom was clean and adequate to the task. The compactness of Annapolis and the availability of inexpensive parking coupled with a free trolley makes the extra money not really worth staying in closer. They also have a free shuttle that we did not try due to the fact it stopped running at 10:00pm, and we planned on staying out until after the midnight fireworks.

Though we could see US50, noise from the highway was not a problem.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jmuskratt
Dear Jmuskratt, thank you for taking time to give us feedback regarding your stay and that we are a solid choice to stay. We take pride in our cleanliness, service and having our guests enjoy their stay. We look forward to you coming back to visit us soon!