“A mixed rating would better suffice.”

Crowne Plaza Annapolis
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Shenandoah Valley, VA
“A mixed rating would better suffice.”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

If I were just rating the hotel itself, I would give it a very good, almost excellent. Reasons: Clean, quiet well-appointed room with 'fridge, lots of counter space, friendly maid; pool was lovely and exceptionally well done for a hotel, opening to outside patio and lounging; Jacuzzi however really lacked action, sort of like a warm bath; lifeguard was an unusual plus but he smelled unclean even amidst the chlorine; hot buffet breakfast in restaurant was average but room service breakfast with perfect poached eggs was excellent; free parking and perfect location across from mall and within several miles of independent theaters and great grocery; all contributed to what should have been a wonderful anniversary weekend for us. However, our purpose in Annapolis was to purchase a small (15') sailboat and trailer and advance conversation with hotel staff said no problem. Hotel was sold out so we parked it in an end space in the back so no one would get hurt on the mast or hit it with their vehicle. Then the nightmare began: The mast on the boat was vandalized the first of our two nights there, most likely by the contracted long-term group of people the hotel had given a grill and picnic table to in the back close to my boat & trailer. The hotel didn't want them hanging out in front of the hotel and I understood why when I realized that they basically had a drinking party all evening and night and even went so far as to relieve themselves in broad daylight and view the next morning. When we reported it at 11 pm, the front desk said they were guests and don't worry about it! It's bad enough to be vandalized but the real hurt came the next a.m. when the staff quoted legal text, didn't even bother to go see the damage, gave the excuse that the group were guests, that the MOD couldn't act on her own accord, and that we waited for three days for the GM to call us at home. From the moment of vandalism, the weekend was ruined by the lack of immediate action. The delayed action by the GM was fairly pathetic as well. Aside from all this, the front-desk staff is totally lackluster and couldn't answer basic questions such as "is there a charge for local and/or long distance calls," "please credit my account with the $5 you're offering me for not having maid service," pretty much everything we asked during the two nights we were there. All in all, it's a lovely hotel compared to the cookie-cutter chains and well priced compared to the downtown hotels but the GM needs to train his staff and delegate some responsibility to his MOD. Instead of stock answering all the reviews herein perhaps he could train his staff and avoid the criticisms in the first place. And contracted long-term lodgers should not be allowed to do things that occasional guests would not do. Oh, I almost forgot, the pool was lovely but the whole time we were there on Sunday morning, people were decorating the area for a party. Due to the language that was spoken, it may well have been relative to those contracted guests as well. Heck, just give them the hotel up front and I'll go elsewhere since they appear to be more important to you than the occasional overnight guest.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Daryl S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Annapolis, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Tellitkeitis2_12, Thank you so much for all the great comments regarding our lovely hotel I apologize once again for the event taking place and the mod not doing more at the time. As we discussed previously I apologiezed about the delay and gave compensation for the event that took place. We value all our guuest no matter who they are and want everyone to know we are a safe hotel. Thank you again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Korean first
Ballantrae Ontario Canada
Reviewed October 5, 2012

No mini bar. Peeling wallpaper in room 207. Lovely view of the roof. No TV guide. No in room information about the hotel facilities. Front desk was not helpful in gaining internet connection. Finally resolved by the food and beverage manager. High speed internet is .82 mbs. Bathroom door lock was broken. Mold on the bathtub tiles. Comfortable bed. Spacious king room. Good location with multiple restaurants. Excellent shuttle service to the annual boat show downtown. Complimentary tea and coffee in the lobby. Complimentary USA today on each floor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Timberbank26, thank you for the nice comments regarding our location, spacious rooms and Excellent shuttle. With your valued feedback we have addressed the other issues you have encountered. Please accept my apology for the issues but Thank you for bringing this to my attention. We hope that as you travel through our area againg you come back to see the changes we have made.
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I just stayed here for my 20th Naval Academy Class Reunion. I had a great experience as it was close enough to be just a $10 cab ride downtown. They also have a good shuttle service that takes you downtown and to the stadium for tailgating and the home Navy football games. The elevators however are very slow so plan accordingly. I used the fitness room and it was very nice. There is a pool but it is not full size, still is nice to have. I used my AAA discount to book the room.

Room Tip: I chose the Club floor, non-smoking, King bed. It was on the 6th floor and had nice amenities, howev...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear William W, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and sharing your Great Experience. As a USNA Grad we support Navy and appreciate you staying with us. Thank you again and look forward to seeing you at your next class reunion!
Denton, Maryland
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Booked the Sheraton for a group block for a wedding, which started off fine. Getting responses from the sales person wasn't always the easiest, but hey, I am a former Director of Sales for a BWI Airport hotel so I understand times can get busy. But than the responses were never really personable either.

The group block eventually expired which I knew would happen. Unfortunately the hotel sold out without any sort of indication from the sales representative, which seems odd as I had just spoken with her a day or so before one of my guests tried to make a reservation to find out they sold out. To make matters worse, another wedding guest spoke to this representative the SAME day they tried to make reservations and again she made no indication that they were sold out or close to selling out, so when they called the front desk and were told this, they were completely confused.

When I sent the DOS an email to confirm that they had in fact sold out, I never heard anything back, ever...Rude.

We also wanted to present our guests with welcome baskets, which is complimentary if you have them hand the baskets out at the front desk... Want to personalize each basket? It will cost you $3 per basket. Want to personalize it and have it sat in the rooms? That will cost you $5 per. Perhaps I'm expecting too much because I have worked in the industry but essentially you want me to pay you to be organized? To alphabetize something with someone's name on it? I just find such a fee ridiculous.

There are plenty of options in the Annapolis area which I would recommend working with other than this one for events and group blocks... The Extended Stay many of our guests ended up staying at was cheaper, newly remodeled, and accommodating... try there first.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Daryl S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Annapolis, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear leelee2946, thank you for all the feedback. The sales department is working hard daily to take care of all of our customers and I am terribley sorry for the mishandling of your group. This is not typical of the sales department at my hotel and rest assured these things are not tolerated. Please accept my apology for the issues you encountered, but rest assured my sales department is taking this feedback very seriously and stirves daily to exceed our guest expectations.

Travelers are raving about these Annapolis hotels

College Park, Georgia
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Was out of town on Business and this was one of the more reasonably priced hotels. Hotels in the area were $150.00 upward and I was able to get this for $129. It is a decent hotel room, spacious, FREE INTERNET, FREE PARKING, it will do for one night. It's not up to Sheraton standards but it was decent. It's close to a lot of restaurants and the mall is up the street, so if you'rei n the area I would suggest staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Daryl S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Annapolis, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank your for taking the time to give us feed back and suggest everyone to stay with us. I am was happy you pointed out our free parking and internet, that is a true value to our guests as well as our spacious rooms. Thank you again and we look forward to you coming back soon!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed here only one night..after medevil times dinner show (which was excellent)
The location of the hotel is very good, close to hwy, food, shopping and bar..The problem I had was the room itself was not so good..we were given a room on the fourth floor (#440) at then end of the hallway near the stairs and housekeeping attendant storage or something. The entire floor smelled like mildew including the room. I thought maybe because of the room being closed and no air circulating..i figured for sure once the AC came on it would go away..so we left and came back to room later that night..to the same yucky smell. The hotel seemed old and rooms needed updating..the chair had a huge stain, the electrical outlet was a total hazard..the plate was come off the wall. we had two double beds for my husband and my two children..maybe this was my fault for not really researching but the beds were actual double beds (full size)..not good considering my husband is 6'4 and I am 5'8. The pool was ice cold.which it states indoor "heated pool" my son and i decided to try the whirlpool which was just a hot bath water..that even my son was able to get it with no problem. The jets were so light..the jet tub in my home is hotter and stronger than this.

Just not what we expected..but again I guess this is why it's a category 2 :(
served its purpose..we did not want to drive 2 hrs back home after a late show.

Room Tip: Older hotel, needs upgrading..research research
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Daryl S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Annapolis, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback and pointing what a great location we have. I apologize for the issues you encountered. Rest assured we follow up and take corrective action right away. I hope when you come back through the area you visit us again and you will see how we continue to make our property better daily!
California
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I am a Starwood loyalist so selected this hotel for a one night stay. The public areas are fairly nice and conform well to the Sheraton brand. The staff was, without exception, helpful and well trained. Our room was the disappointment. We were in a club room on the top floor. The mattress sagged unbelievably and no doubt had been dead for five years. There is no way it began life as a "sweet sleeper". The furniture was mismatched, the bedside table had cigarette burns, a Home Depot cube refrigerator and microwave were jammed in one corner to create a Days Inn effect. There was only one tiny window in the room. The bathroom vanity was placed at a height for 6 year olds. The bottom line is the hotel did the job, but I have no doubt there are better alternatives. The room was short of the brand standard for a Four Points. On my way out the General Manager stopped me to ask if everything was ok. I gave him an earful. He listened and seemed intent on taking action. I give him credit for that.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tom2592, thank you for the feedback, and noticing all the great staff and how nice the property was. I do remember talking to you and have already taken action on the things we can control from our discussion. I take feedback very seriously good or bad and make corrective changes as needed. I apologize for the hotel not being up to your standards, however we are striving everyday to make our hotel better in everyones eyes. We look forward to you coming back to the area and enjoying a better experience the next time you stay with us.