“Try the Marriott Waterfront” 3 of 5 bubbles

Loews Annapolis Hotel
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
GreenLeadersGold level
Baltimore
“Try the Marriott Waterfront”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2008

My husband and I decided to stay here to celebrate our wedding anniversary and to have an evening getaway. We picked this hotel over the hotels at the waterfront because it's rated a 4-diamond and we figured the service would be great. I would not rate this higher than a 3-diamond. The elevators were not working properly when we checked in. For a 4-diamond, I expect that the soundproofing in the room would be better- we could hear everything between the connecting door of our room. There was a wedding in the main area of the hotel and the sound drifted completely into our room (heard every Beatles song played at the wedding). We called to complain, and were told that the wedding party was moving into a private room. They didn't. I finally went down to the front desk and another guest agent agreed to move us off the floor to a different room, so they redeemed themselves somewhat, but I just expect more from this class of hotel. Room looked like it needed a fresh coat of paint and carpet was worn.

• Stayed November 2008
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Cape Saint Claire, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

My husband and I needed a night away,so,we decided to stay at Loews Annapolis Hotel. Since it also is nearby and convienent to both of our jobs. We were definitley blown away with the level of customer service. When we arrived that evening after work we decided to check in and eat dinner at Breeze , the hotel restaurant. Everyone from Brandi at check-in, a very nice girl, to the restaurant manager were friendly and sympathetic to our needs during our little get away.We were greeted by a warm smile where ever we seemed to be.I do have to comment on the food in the Breeze, it was so delicious and was served in a timely fashion. My husband loved the rockfish and said it was the best he's ever tasted.The dessert I had was the Chocolate Lava Cake, If you love chocolate I would personally suggest this one. There is soft music playing in the restaurant and lobby area , and it was soothing and helped relax us after a hectic work day.
The local love of sailing and beauty of the Chesapeake Bay permeates this hotel, you know that the moment you walk thru the front doors. They even have a little sailboat in the lobby..very charming. The room was spacious and comfortable and for once I had a much needed restorative sleep.I must say as a local I am happy to know I can send my friends and family somewhere besides my spare room, I feel confidant that they will be comfortable and well taken care of by a sincere team of individuals with great service skills and big smiles all around.
Thank you!!! We had a terrific time and will return.

• Liked — The super comfortable beds.
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fourdiamondtraveller
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2008

Stayed at the Loew's Annapolis for 3 nights during an anniversary celebration weekend. Was a bit nervous due to some of the reviews, but decided to take our chances, and are glad we did! From the wonderful valets to superb dining at Breeze restaurant, the stay was absolutely terrific. Check-in was a snap, very pleasant staff. The king room, overlooking the atrium, was a nice size and exceptionally clean (including the bathroom). Facing the atrium did not bother us at all. The hotel is on the edge of the historic district, short walk to all the great shopping and restaurants on Main Street and to the town dock. There are also several good restaurants right on West Street, 2 minutes from the hotel. Do not hesitate to stay here, we had a wonderful experience at the Loew's Annapolis.

• Liked — Central location to all Annapolis has to offer.
  • Disliked — Cost of parking and internet usage.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Slats62
New Orleans
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2008

The hotel is in a great location but I was expecting the usual quality of Loews and was disappointed. The lobby wasn't really a nice lobby. The few chairs in the lobby were dirty navy chairs with suspicious looking stains on the arm of very single chair. The tiny bar was not conducive to gathering with our many friends who had travelled a long way to spend time together. There was really no where to gather in the hotel.
Many rooms have windows facing the atrium so you look out on a meeting area - not pretty. The room was fine. The bathroom was adequate but not large. The staff was very nice. The front desk personnel were very helpful and the valet service was quite nice. The hotel needs sprucing up all around.
One can walk around the city from the hotel. There is a cute wine bar close by - The Purple Tooth. Got raves from some in our group.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No place to visit with friends - small lobby and bar - dirty chairs and too few chairs in lobby
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mollie57
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2008

My husband and I went to Annapolis for our anniversary, and booked a long weekend with Loews. The hotel is in a great location - walking distance to everything, and the staff and concierge were nice. We ordered room service for one morning for breakfast since we had a food credit, and it was pretty good. I think it's kind of dated that they charge you a fee for internet use, and the valet/self-parking fee is pretty high also. My one "complaint" is that although we received a few caramels and a congrats card for our anniversary, when I filled out the form for a Loews card online, they asked what would you like to receive upon check-in - and they give you various options such as wine, cookies, etc. I selected the cookies and milk, but didn't receive it. Oh well, not a big deal, but why make a big deal over it online if we aren't going to get it?

The Annapolis Day Spa is located at this hotel as well. I went in for a pedicure/manicure and a pre-natal massage. The massage was heavenly, but if I could do it again I would skip the mani/pedi...the spa is in a very small space and they do not have the nice chairs you would expect while getting a pedi in a spa.

So, the hotel overall was nice. I am undecided if we will stay here again, but one positive is that although this is a pet friendly hotel, the hotel/room did not smell like pets at all. Phew.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southwest Harbor, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2008

I don't know how old this hotel is, but our room would suggest that the hotel is at least a few decades old. I think it's time for a refurbishment. The hallways are especially depressing, too, I think.

The beds were comfortable, and the bathroom was average. No view to speak of save for the roof.

The service was always polite and well-meaning, but the housekeeping/room service staff was inept. Room service took our unopened cookies and milk. The housekeeping staff spilled water and ice on my friend's quilted duffel bag, said nothing, and let her stuff linger in the wet. We could not get a laundry price list out of housekeeping, although I will say that maintenance came to fix something in our room (I forget what) rather quickly. The front desk staff was very nice, very helpful, and the valet parking boys were the nicest and most cheery of all.

The location is not central to the "quaint" part of Annapolis, but a little walk, and as we are walkers, we were fine with that.

A word about Annapolis. Besides being very Republican (LOL), it is very (!) congested and sort of pre-fabricated quaint. I wouldn't make a special trip there, but as I was in Baltimore to accompany a friend to Hopkins for eye surgery, we decided to stop by, especially since my son and husband are avid sailors.

What I do think is soooo worthwhile, and it isn't too far from the Annapolis area is GETTYSBURG military park! It is moving and fascinating and should be on everyone's to-do list.

Oh, yes, there is kayaking nearby in Annapolis, which is a lot of relaxing fun.

• Liked — the valet guys and beds but not together
  • Disliked — the inept service, the aged hallways and decor
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Giveypup
Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our anniversary. The hotel was nice and clean and the concierge staff were super nice!! On the downside, we did have a few issues. Our room keys did not work so we had to take them back to the front desk to get them re-activated. My husband ordered a special package for us which should have included champagne and sweets delivered to our room before we returned from dinner. It didn't show up until he called down to the front desk. Once it did show up it was not what he ordered. We waited 45 mins. before he called again and they finally said they didn't have what they ordered and they would give it to us to go the next morning when we checked out. They did give us free breakfast which was nice, but they ended up charging us for it until my husband called back to have it credited back. The food at the restaurant was great and our bed was super comfortable. I don't think we would stay again though just because of the issues we experienced.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple