“Decent hotel, but premium rooms aren't premium”

Loews Annapolis Hotel
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
GreenLeadersGold level
pittsburgh
“Decent hotel, but premium rooms aren't premium”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The location is great for anything you would like to do in downtown Annapolis. We also stayed here for the Pitt/Navy game. We opted for an upgrade to have access to the Commodore Room. I was fine with the premium price because I know the Loews name is synonymous with high end. Unfortunately, my perception of this hotel is virtually identical to the one 'decent lodging' below. The beds are comfortable, the rooms are clean and the staff is friendly. The rooms are about as large as rooms in other medium level chains. However, I expected a higher end experience for the Commodore room, something other than pre-packaged pastries and sodas in a refrigerator. I also thought there might be afternoon refreshments provided in this room, as often is provided in other situations like this, but there wasn't, other than a basket of cereal bars. Our toiletries were not refreshed at all, perhaps because we were only staying the weekend. This I did not mind so much because they do give you larger size toiletries. My biggest surprise is when I was informed by the front desk that though my room was in the premium category, wi fi was not included for those who booked through Expedia! (On Loews' website, wi fi is included in premium rooms.) I find that obnoxious.

Again, as the reviewer below stated, it's not in any way a bad hotel, but I expected a lot more for the price, especially the Loews brand.

1 Thank daBurgh59
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear terripgh,
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback about your stay. We appreciate your confidence in Loews Hotels, and while we are glad you enjoyed our convenient location and found the rooms comfortable and staff friendly, we are very disappointed to hear we fell short of exceeding your expectations. Regarding your experience with the Commodore Lounge, we appreciate your opinion and are currently reevaluating our offerings to ensure we exceed our guests’ expectations. We apologize for any miscommunication concerning the wifi. Our website highlights that complimentary Internet is available within the Commodore Lounge. Unfortunately, it is not available in guest rooms at this time. We’re pleased to let you know once our guest room renovations are complete in 2014, we will offer complimentary wifi in all of our brand new guest rooms. We do sincerely appreciate your feedback as we seek to continually elevate our establishment. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally about your visit to learn how we can regain your confidence in Loews Annapolis.

Barbara McMahon from Highland Park 15206
410-295-3295

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Annapolis for the Pitt/Navy game this weekend and decided to stay at the Loews hotel because it was so convenient to all the attractions. We weren't disappointed by any aspect of our stay (except the score of the game!) From the minute we arrived, we were treated beautifully. There wasn't anyone on staff who didn't go the extra mile to offer assistance or just greet us with a smile. Kudos especially to Ashli at the front desk who couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. She is the poster girl for great customer service. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We booked the room through Trivago and got a great deal.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear PittFan68,
We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay, and we're absolutely delighted to learn about your wonderful experience. We are fortunate to be in a great location to enjoy Annapolis' attractions. We're very happy to hear you experienced the top notch, personal service we pride ourselves on. Ashley at the front desk is wonderful example of this, and we can't wait to tell her about your note. We look forward to welcoming you again to Loews Annapolis, hopefully before too long!

Barbara McMahon
Broomfield, Colorado
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed at Loews as part of a reunion class from the Academy -Patrick was fabulous in arranging a dinner reservation at one of the local restaurants. His help made a reservation of first 8-ending with 14 effortless . Thank you Patrick! Both he and Loews are to be congratulated on AMAZING customer service!

Room Tip: Whatever it is that you need -just let the front desk know!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
GMLoews, Director of Sales at Loews Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear KGibb123,
Wow, we are honored by your positive feedback! Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your review. It it always a joy and a pleasure for us to welcome United States Naval Academy alumni, family and fans to our hotel. Patrick will be so happy to know his top notch customer service with the dinner reservation made for a great experience -we can't wait to tell him! Thank you very much for choosing Loews Annapolis, and we'd love to welcome you again anytime.

Jennifer Howie
Monument, CO
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I had many problems, first with obtaining the desired reservation, and then I was incorrectly charged for the room. I was attending a multi-day meeting held at the hotel, and I was unable to make my reservations at the website. So I had to make several phone calls to obtain the desired reservation. Eventually, I was successful.

My reservation confirmation(s) were received by e-mail. The confirmations correctly listed the room price. But when I received the bill for the 4-day stay, again via e-mail, it showed a different rate! I tried unsuccessfully several times to get this corrected, but without success. I believe it is a very poor business practice to charge a room rate different from the one listed on the reservation, and to not correct it when asked to do so. As of this date, the issues have not been resolved

Finally, I was also incorrectly charged an "Early Departure Charge" even though we did not depart early.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear aerotech1, Thank you for providing us with this feedback. I am extremely disappointed and sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced. I would like the opportunity to speak with you about these experiences and work toward a resolution as immediately as possible. I will be reaching out to you directly to determine when and how best we can connect.

Barbara McMahon, General Manager
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Great location, really great rooms and staff were so friendly and helpful.Would recommend using the valet parking for the extra few dollars. Only spent one night there and wished that we had spent at least another night there so we could use all the facilities

1 Thank adeled32
GMLoews, Director of Sales & Marketing at Loews Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear adeled32, We really appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us. We’re very happy you enjoyed our great location in Annapolis, and our accommodations and dedicated staff. We’ll share your compliments with the team. We wish you’d had more time too – but we would love to welcome you again to Loews Annapolis the next time you plan a trip to the area!

Jennifer Howie
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

When it comes to loews hotels I always think of ultra premium. This property is very nice but nothing special. It is nicely decorated in a nautical theme. The rooms are nice, clean and have plenty if space. It is conveniently located in Annapolis with everything within a walking distance. The staff is great. I think it's probably the best hotel in Annapolis but the bar isn't set that high.

• Stayed November 2012
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Agrouzis, Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay. We're very glad you enjoyed our accommodations, the spaciousness of rooms, and also our great location in Annapolis for taking in all the city has to offer. We appreciate you positively noting our staff who works very hard to provide quality service. Lastly, we are thrilled to let you know we begin room renovations late this year and into 2014 and look forward to unveiling our new, updated rooms! We'd love to have the chance to welcome you again at Loews Annapolis, especially to enjoy completed updates and new amenities next year. Thank you again for choosing Loews.

Barbara McMahon, GM
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I arrived around 9:30 Saturday night ready to relax in a room we'd previously reserved. Upon check in we learned that we had actually booked at the Loews hotel in Washington DC (Apparently when I booked through Trip Advisor it took me to the sister site for the Loews hotel) and that due to the boat show there were no rooms available. Exhausted and befuddled we explained to the front desk staff that we were really looking forward to staying in Annapolis as it was a our five year anniversary. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. First, they suggested we head to the hotel restaurant and have a round of drinks on them while they canceled the hotel in DC. Then the manager (Jason I believe was his name) said that he would do his best to book us a room elsewhere.
We decided to have dinner in the restaurant since we had planned on walking the few blocks to downtown to eat after checking in. We received superb service and had a wonderful meal (the round of drinks didn't hurt either). I spent the better part of the meal calling neighboring hotels but had no luck getting a room in Annapolis-I had a feeling that the hotel manager likely wouldn't be able to get us a room given that everything was booked solid.
I jokingly said to my husband, " maybe we'll get lucky and someone will cancel at the last minute." He replied that at 10:30 at night it was unlikely. About 20 minutes later the manager rushes over to inform us that he'd gotten a last minute cancellation! We couldn't believe how our luck had turned around! They happily checked us in and shared in our excitement that we'd get to spend our anniversary in the place that we were married!
We headed up to our room, all the while proclaiming how helpful and courteous the staff had been thus far. Upon entering we saw a bottle of champagne and chocolates with a Happy Anniversary note attached. Our room was very comfortable and we felt very well taken care of. I only wish the staff were there the next day so we could thank them for their superb customer service.

Room Tip: i've also had a massage and pedicure at the spa prior to this stay and both exceeded my expectat...
1 Thank sduncan2
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear sduncan2, Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay. We are absolutely thrilled you experienced our commitment to exceptional customer service, and that you were able to stay with us for you anniversary, returning to the place you married 5 years ago! We will share your very positive experience with our staff – they are a superb team who indeed go above and beyond every day for our guests to ensure they feel taken care of. Thanks for letting us know what a great meal you had at WEST! We’re so happy our team and our hotel could help make your anniversary special. Loews Annapolis would love to welcome you back, especially when our room updates are completed in early Spring 2014, and for many more anniversaries thereafter!