“Nice location”

Loews Annapolis Hotel
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Got a great deal on hotwire for a Fourth of July weekend stay for my family. Hotel is a 10 minute walk through decent neighborhood to all attractions and restaurants. Valet parking is $22/night. Customer service was friendly and outstanding. We had two rooms on 2nd floor overlooking their inner atrium which hosted a wedding that weekend. Only negative of stay was our rooms were right over ballroom so wedding reception music was quite loud until 11:30 PM. (I wonder if they put hotwire customers there on purpose?) If you are allergic to dogs, beware that hotel and all of Annapolis are very dog-friendly. We enjoyed Fourth of July parade that went right by our hotel and fireworks at harborside. The walking tour of the Naval Academy and church services at the Naval Chapel are not to be missed. The concierge made reservations for us one night at the ChartHouse and we were given the VIP treatment there including a personalized menu! It was fun.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,304)

Reviewed July 8, 2008

Wife and I visited in mid-week for a quick romantic one night stay in June. I got a great rate (109) on Priceline and everything was ready when we arrived. While it is true they nab you with the $20 required valet parking, their service in retrieving the car and parking was worth it. The location is what you are truly paying for here...you can walk to everywhere downtown and the collection of restaurants and bars right there on West St. is awesome. The only downside is that coming off the elevator, we got a whiff of something very stale and damp but the area by our room and the room itself was fine. They do allow pets so I am sure that a certain amount of odors will be present depending on who stayed in room before you. We only stayed the night but I would definitely return especially with Priceline pricing.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed June 23, 2008

If you're visiting the downtown Annapolis or the United States Naval Academy, this is a good bet. The hotel has a very nice staff, is quite clean, and has a fairly new interior. The walls, on the other hand, are a bit thin.

I stayed in the hotel during a summer weekend. As such, there were plenty of folks in the hotel for Naval Academy graduates' weddings. While it made for a nice looking crowd in the hotel lobby, it also gave me an opportunity to hear the trials and tribulations of three twenty-something ladies trials and tribulations dating young sailors... through the wall of my room. While this wasn't the best, I suspect it's not par for the course at the hotel.

The bed was very comfortable and my room was spotless. There was a nice television and reasonably priced internet service. I can't remember if there was wifi but I think there was. There was an in room refrigerator. While some people might appreciate that, I was less than impressed with the noise the compressor made.

The bathroom had a nice beach house theme to it. The shower had good water pressure and plenty of adequate towels.

The staff at the hotel was excellent. While I waited for the valet to bring my car around they offered me a complimentary bottled water. (Though I suppose the $20 parking free probably covered that). The front desk staff was also quite nice.

While there was a bit of noise in the hotel, on the whole I had a nice experience.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 2, 2008

My wife took me to Annapolis for my birthday. Stayed at the Westin the first night and at Loews the second night (Saturday May 31st). My wife arranged for a King bed and courtyard view room. When we arrived, we were told our room was not ready. No problem, we said we would be downtown. The young woman that we spoke with said she would call us when our room was ready. We walked down town and in a short while she called and said that the room still was not ready but she had one that faced the main street which she said had a very nice view, so we said OK. Well the skies opened up and it rained cats and dogs so we called for the shuttle to pick us up at a designated location. After about 15 minutes we see the shuttle so we run out from under a store awning and try to flag down the shuttle and it does not stop. We end up walking back in the rain. We get back to the hotel tired and wet to check into our room and we wait for a young man behind the desk to finish his buisiness with an older gentleman. The older gentleman is clearly upset with the Loews employee and he finally leaves disgusted. The young man then proceeds to check us into "our room." We get the keys and go to our room to find out that it is not the room we agreed to take when we were contacted by the other Loews employee by phone. When we opened the curtains, outside the window was the rooftop and several large airconditioners... no view of West street. My wife called down to the desk and talked to the man that checked us in and he basically lied to us saying that the person we spoke with earlier had left for the day and there was nothing he could do. It appears he gave our room to someone else but was not going to own up to it or try to make us happy. We came down to the front desk and we saw the woman we had originally dealt with, so we waited for her. We told her what had happened and she looked in the computer and said that should not have happened and she upgaded us. The upgraded room was great, but dealing with the other desk clerk stressed us out. Parking is very expensive ($20/day) and the Commadore room package, that is to provide breakfast and snacks is not worth the extra money. Hotel was clean. The 5th and 6th floors had a medicinal like odor in the hallways. The vallet guys were very nice and helpful. You can't beat the location if you want to walk to town. I liked the Westin up the road much more.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KCK4
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Top notch hotel worth the price-- service from the moment we drove up was impeccable, valet, bell service, room service, concierge, etc., all great! Location is very good also. Did not eat in any of the restaurants so cannot comment on that; but overall great recommendation.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2008

Stayed one night at the Loews Annapolis. Overall, we liked it and will consider staying again. Positives: Room is a nice size, bed was confortable, bathroom good size as well, pet friendly, walking distance to waterfront and Naval Academy. Areas to to improve: Belldesk was slow to bring up bags to room. They appeared to be understaffed. Same slow experience with getting car from valet. Air Conditioning would not cool room properly. Hopefully, it was just our room for the air and the slowness of the staff might be explained due to wedding party at hotel.

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed May 25, 2008

My family and I drove in on Saturday and spent the night here. My son is 11 and daughter is 9. Here are what we liked and didn't like:

Likes:
Rooms were comfortable -- beds very comfortable. Rooms were clean and well kept.
Hotel was close to town -- 5 - 10 minute walk to Main Street and loads of shops and restaurants.
Free shuttle (which we didn't use because we walked)
Prompt and polite service.
Quiet Room.

Dislikes:
No swimming pool.
The hotel is pet friendly, so there is a lingering of pet dander.

If you are in town, you must go to the Naval Academy and take the tour. We were fortunate that we arrived the day after graduation. The city was buzzing with excitement.
We ate at Chick and Ruths for lunch. This is a pretty good deli. I ordered the collossus Reuben and it was delicious (and very large). They make their own corned beef and it was excellent.
We took a very quick tour of the Hammond-Harwood house. Unless you are very much into architecture and the local history, I would skip it.
We ate at Tsunami (right up the street) for dinner. The Japanese food there was very good and I would highly recommend it.
Unfortunately, the state house was closed for repair. So, we have a reason to go back to Annapolis.

If you want a good place to stay, the Loews is very nice. You will pay a pretty penny. But if you want to splurge, it's worth it.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family