“recent remodel; rooms need rework”

Loews Annapolis Hotel
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stay at the Loews everytime I'm in town. Its a corporate hotel. They remodeled the hotel in early 2012 (at least the lobby and restaurant). The remodel and restaurant reboot was a success. The room reboot didnt happen. The last couple of times Ive stayed my rooms have been less then ideal. The first time after the remodel my door was falling off (literally). There was no bottom hinge. This last time (first week of Nov. 2012), my carpet had a huge rip in it, the bathroom fixtures were coming loose and the pipes made horrible noises at night.

Having said all of these things, I like the hotel and staff, but they need to get tighter on the quality of their rooms.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,304)

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Booked this on Priceline with a $100 bid. Very good value for downtown Annapolis. The staff was very friendly. The hotel was clean - just renovated. The modern style of the renovation clashed a little with the history of Annapolis, but I live in Georgia, so who am I to judge style?

The rooms were OK - functional and clean. Nice big towels. The views looked interior to the lobby.

Room Tip: Valet parking was $22. Self parking was $18. I saw $5 public parking close by if you're a chea...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Loews in Annapolis, Md., is conveniently located in the "old city." Our room was perfect, very comfortable. The lobby was a grand meeting place for us and family members who came from several other cities. The concierge, the bellmen, and the "jitney" drivers were absolutely perfect: every request was addressed immediately and met with a smile. The parking lot was a great asset given the crowded nature of the old town area. We did not use the restaurant except for a couple of occasions for appetizers and drinks (which were just right!). However, the menu looked attractive - we just had other places to go and plans to execute!

Room Tip: The HVAC system is quiet. The "negative" was that our room was close to a service elevator...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I recently stayed at Loews for 3 nights on business - in fact for a workshop which was hosted at the hotel itself. The reception was friendly, fast and efficient. The hotel itself is exeptionally clean, well-appointed and comfortable - of course, it's not inexpensive but that comes with the territory. It is well situated being only a short walk to the historic downtown/harbour. It's also an easy walk to the US naval academy which is well-worth seeing (take photo ID).

Downsides? The view from the room of the car park/reception area was a bit noisey and not so spectacular. Paying for WIFI - in this day and age, it's barbaric! When MacDonalds and Starbucks can afford to provide WIFI for the price of a cup of coffee, why can't a hotel at $200/night? If you join their loyalty club, the WIFI charges are wiped from your bill - this is the real carrot and stick model for promoting loyalty!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

As a band, we stay here every year when we play at the Rams Head. This is one of our favorite hotels ever! The hotel is beautiful and comfortable... the staff is amazing... and there is so much to do withing walking distance.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We got very lucky by bidding on Priceline the morning of our stay, and getting an excellent deal here. Definitely would not have paid the regular price, but we ended up paying about 1/3 of the normal price, and we were very impressed. The front desk staff were very nice and upgraded us to a suite. The room was great - very comfy beds and pillows! I wish I had them at home! The Keurig in the room is a nice touch too. Short walk to downtown Annapolis. Overall, very impressed by the hotel and the cute city.

Room Tip: Tell them you're celebrating something! You might get an upgrade if they're not full!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is a good hotel, but it needs improvement in several areas and that's why I didn't give it four stars.

The lobby is very nice and check-in was smooth.

The room is quite complete. It has a work desk with an adjustable office chair, a mini bar, a pretty good coffee machine and a comfy seat. There is Wi-Fi, but it is not for free.

The safe is inside the closet, but it is positioned vertically. It is high, but not deep. At least you can store valuables in it, but you need to stack them. I'm not sure if a 15" laptop fits.

The staff was friendly and helpful.

There are several restaurants nearby and if you don't mind a 15 minute walk, you can easily go to the harbour where you can find several other restaurants. The hotel also offers a transportation service.

So why only 3 stars then? Basically there are several smaller things that need improvement. It all adds up and this hotel is fairly expensive so I expected more.

I was a little disappointed with the room I got. The furniture looked somewhat old and worn. There also wasn't a good place for my suitcase, but by moving the desk a little, I could make it fit. The sliding doors of the closet were not tied to the floor and make it look like they were broken. I'm not sure whether this was on purpose or whether they were broken indeed.

There was an issue getting warm water. It took a very long time for the water to get warm and the water pressure was too low. I was only on the third floor, so I don't think that played a role.

There is only one block with elevators. It was not a big deal for me, but you may need to walk quite a bit to get to them. They are also very slow and several times I had to wait a long time for an elevator to show up.

The parking policy is very annoying. They're way too pushy getting you to take the valet parking. I took the self parking and wasn't even allowed to park my car close to the entrance to unload my luggage and check-in. I was sent away with some lame excuse. Self parking is also outside only and with 18 $US a day way too expensive.

I also think that for a hotel like this, internet access should be for free.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business