“NIce but too Expensive”

GreenLeadersGold level
San Jose, CA
“NIce but too Expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I loved the location because it was close to the USNA. I went to the east coast for a SJSU v USNA football game on 9/29. I got their extended weekend rate and it was really no bargain. I chose Loews because of its location. The room itself is laid out nicely; and it faced the atrium. I stayed Thursday through Monday.

However, the blackout drapes did not meet in the middle and I had to use my bag to hold them closed. The main drape was ripped away from the curtain grommet down about 8 inches. The bathroom was nice except for the fact that people forget to clean behind the faucet and it was grimy and black. Little things yes, but when I'm paying that much for a room, I expect more. The one thing I appreciated was how soon housekeeping had my room tidied up and sheets and towels replaced. I never had to wait for anything to be done. I would leave my room for breakfast and a quick walk and by the time I would come back to get ready for the day by around 9:30 my room was completely refreshed. I also appreciated the fact that the bed was very comfortable.

The staff at the front desk were polite. I loved using their complimentary shuttle (tips for the driver) all over town. They even took us to the game and dropped us off at the front gate and then another shuttle inside the stadium took us to our tailgate area. Really nice for all of us. On the other hand, I had requested a wake-up call on Friday and they also asked if I wanted a reminder call 15 minutes later. They forgot both of them. Now, had I been dependant upon them in order to make a meeting I would have been upset. Mine was just to make sure that I was going to be on time for the tour of the Naval Academy. The rest of the days they did call me on time.

The food in the restaurant was ok for dinner; I understand that "West" has only been open for a couple of months. Maybe they are still working out the kinks. The drinks were not excessively priced but but then again there was very little Capt. Morgan in my drink. I do think that their breakfast menu was way over priced for what I got. $22 for a muffin, 3 strips of transparent bacon, glass of OJ, a diet coke and 2 cups of coffee for my guests was a little steep for me. I went down the street for breakfast from then on. There is a starbucks nearby as well as other small restaurants serving full breakfasts so it was not a big decision to change places for that meal.

The hotel is within walking distance of almost anything you want to do in downtown and in fact I was very comfortable walking by myself at night.

I did valet my car for the entire stay at $22/day plus tip. I did not use it for 2 days but needed it for the 3rd day and for transportation to-and-from the airport. Their self-park is $18. At my age, I really didn't care about the extra $12. They did seem to have some trouble on Thursday night because their was a very large event and I heard grumbling from people about how long it was taking to get their cars out of the garage. Personally, I had no trouble.

Would I stay there again? Probably yes. It was not a cheap place to stay but I felt very safe in my room; it was close to everything I wanted to do and visit. On the other hand, I've stayed in chain motels that offered exactly the same amenities but at a much cheaper price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank QwnTut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Severna Park
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

The Loews hotel in Annapolis, Maryland is a wonderful stay! Rooms and facilities are clean, staff is friendly and helpful and the new restaurant and bar was excellent - we love the outdoor patio! The bed is very comfortable. Conveniently located to downtown Annapolis. We woke up to the sunrise over the state capital building - stay on the 4th floor in the corner if possible.

Room Tip: Fourth floor corner facing east.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

It was almost three times expensive as a good highway motel. The expected luxury decor in the room was a major disappointment. There was no color scheme apparent. Nothing matched and the bedding was mediocre with a stain on the cover. However, the bed turned out to be a very comfortable. The bathroom counter top was cracked and had a burn hole. The Keurig coffee set up and the bathrobes provided did not make up for the lack of ambiance. The phone system is antiquated. It took a trip to the front desk to retrieve messages because the button marked messages did not work nor did the instructions in the hotel's welcome book. You might want to consider valet parking which is available 24 hours a day. The self park is on a narrow back ally way behind the hotel. If you can walk, it is not more than a mile to anyplace you would want to go. There is also an electric car service available for the fee of a tip to get you to your destination. $5 was considered adequate for the ride into town.

Room Tip: Ask for the 2nd floor so you can walk to your room. It is much quicker than waiting for the elevator...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Serra62
Annapolis, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

We are local Annapolitans and stayed at the Loews Annapolis back in July when a storm left us without power in the middle of a terrible heat wave. We chose Loews because we knew they took dogs, which was perfect for us. They gave us a little gift bag for our dog and were overall very accommodating to all of the locals who needed a place for themselves and their pets.

Our room overlooked a courtyard, which for me, was a letdown. I'm not sure how many rooms have a view of the actual outdoors, but if we were ever to stay there again, I would definitely try to get one. The courtyard not only provides little "view", but it can also be a little loud at times with kids running around, etc. The service was fine, but I definitely felt like they were doing us a favor. When we decided to extend our stay indefinitely, we were told we could cancel as late as the day of. We really appreciated this, given the situation, but the girl at the desk made sure we knew what a favor they were doing for us. ("I don't know how we're making any money here!") We were there for three nights and the bill was close to $1000 (for three nights), so I can guarantee they were making money. I read that they were only charging $99/night, but we were never told about this rate and, if it is true, I feel like I was cheated of that money. (We payed upwards of $200/night...an unexpected expense in our summer.)

Overall, it was a good experience. It wouldn't be my first recommendation for friends and family coming into Annapolis, but it is definitely a good option. The location is within walking distance of everything in downtown, including the beautiful neighborhood of Murray Hill. We enjoyed the "city living" for a few days, and I admit I was a little sad to move a few miles further out of town when our power came back on (finally!)

Make sure to join their rewards program, which costs nothing. This got us free internet. There is valet parking, but we parked a little further down in the lot and paid nothing (well worth a <5 min walk to hotel.)

And, of course, welcome to Annapolis and enjoy our quaint hometown!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

The hotel was clean and close by all the shops and restaurants. I enjoyed the fact that I could bring my 80 pound lab and it only cost 25 dollars for the whole weekend stay. If i would of stayed 2 weeks it still was only 25 dollars.....much cheaper than a kennel and they give you a bowl and toy!!!! And the rooms don't smell like they allow pets! I don't think I would stay here for a week but for a weekend it was fine!

Room Tip: We got a King...not facing the ballroom.....it could get loud if there is a wedding......
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed here two nights and used this hotel as a start to a coastal community tour. The room was very nice and comfortable and was very well appointed with an exceptionally comfortable bed. The first night was perfect and very quiet, which is how I like a hotel. The second night is a different story, and more on that in a minute. The food at the restaurant is out of this world -- it is a scratch kitchen, and it shows -- everything is as fresh as can be and prepared perfectly. The service throughout the hotel is also top of the line. Everyone from the front desk to the valet were professional, cordial and offered great service. Additionally, breakfast was included in our room at the upstairs Commodore room, and it is the best breakfast buffet I have had anywhere. It was simply fabulous! I want to give this hotel five stars, but have to downgrade it a bit because of this incident, which I know is an isolated one. The second night also started off quiet, but then about 1:45 AM that all changed. Several young and very drunk men emerged from the elevator and were talking loudly in the hallway all the way to their room, which unfortunately was next to ours. There was slamming of doors, loud laughter, crude talk, music and more loud noises. We waited for it to settle down, but it was clear they were there to party. I called the front desk to complain and they sent up security immediately and were told to quiet down. They didn't. I called again 30 or so minutes later, and still nothing was done that solved the problem for more than 30 seconds. I called again about another 40 minutes later -- eventually about 3:40 things settled down. At 5:15AM it started all over again for about 35 minutes with the men in the room wrestling and banging against the walls, and again speaking in a crude manner. I didn't even bother to call down at that point because I knew it would be pointless. I feel the men should have been thrown out after the second call, but they weren't. I think the hotel failed miserably there. The hotel did adjust a little off our room rate, but it didn't make up for the lost night of sleep when we had a long drive the next day. Overall, I still give this hotel high marks, except for not being able to solve the noise problem as these men should have been told to leave. I understand that this is an isolated incident, but nevertheless, it did tarnish our stay. Other than that, I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: An upper room will diminish the street and valet parking traffic noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerAnnapolis, Manager at Loews Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for the great review. We certainly appreciate your recognition of the WEST Kitchen & Tavern and the service levels experienced throughout the hotel. I sincerely regret the noise issue and frankly it's inexcusable. We have a strict policy concerning noise and the room in question should have been monitored by our security staff and handled in a more proactive and appropriate manner. Thank you for the balanced review and for recommending our hotel.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed for a couple od nights on a business trip. Really convenient location close to many restaurants and the food at the hotel was excellent. The staff were very friendly and helpfull and the room was clean and the bed was awesome.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
ManagerAnnapolis, Manager at Loews Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and taking to time to post your review. Brief and to the point!! Thank you for complimenting the hotel staff and our efforts to hit the most important elements of the guest experience.