“Great Location in Annapolis”

Loews Annapolis Hotel
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
GreenLeadersGold level
Annapolis, MD
“Great Location in Annapolis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

We are local Annapolitans and stayed at the Loews Annapolis back in July when a storm left us without power in the middle of a terrible heat wave. We chose Loews because we knew they took dogs, which was perfect for us. They gave us a little gift bag for our dog and were overall very accommodating to all of the locals who needed a place for themselves and their pets.

Our room overlooked a courtyard, which for me, was a letdown. I'm not sure how many rooms have a view of the actual outdoors, but if we were ever to stay there again, I would definitely try to get one. The courtyard not only provides little "view", but it can also be a little loud at times with kids running around, etc. The service was fine, but I definitely felt like they were doing us a favor. When we decided to extend our stay indefinitely, we were told we could cancel as late as the day of. We really appreciated this, given the situation, but the girl at the desk made sure we knew what a favor they were doing for us. ("I don't know how we're making any money here!") We were there for three nights and the bill was close to $1000 (for three nights), so I can guarantee they were making money. I read that they were only charging $99/night, but we were never told about this rate and, if it is true, I feel like I was cheated of that money. (We payed upwards of $200/night...an unexpected expense in our summer.)

Overall, it was a good experience. It wouldn't be my first recommendation for friends and family coming into Annapolis, but it is definitely a good option. The location is within walking distance of everything in downtown, including the beautiful neighborhood of Murray Hill. We enjoyed the "city living" for a few days, and I admit I was a little sad to move a few miles further out of town when our power came back on (finally!)

Make sure to join their rewards program, which costs nothing. This got us free internet. There is valet parking, but we parked a little further down in the lot and paid nothing (well worth a <5 min walk to hotel.)

And, of course, welcome to Annapolis and enjoy our quaint hometown!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

The hotel was clean and close by all the shops and restaurants. I enjoyed the fact that I could bring my 80 pound lab and it only cost 25 dollars for the whole weekend stay. If i would of stayed 2 weeks it still was only 25 dollars.....much cheaper than a kennel and they give you a bowl and toy!!!! And the rooms don't smell like they allow pets! I don't think I would stay here for a week but for a weekend it was fine!

Room Tip: We got a King...not facing the ballroom.....it could get loud if there is a wedding......
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed here two nights and used this hotel as a start to a coastal community tour. The room was very nice and comfortable and was very well appointed with an exceptionally comfortable bed. The first night was perfect and very quiet, which is how I like a hotel. The second night is a different story, and more on that in a minute. The food at the restaurant is out of this world -- it is a scratch kitchen, and it shows -- everything is as fresh as can be and prepared perfectly. The service throughout the hotel is also top of the line. Everyone from the front desk to the valet were professional, cordial and offered great service. Additionally, breakfast was included in our room at the upstairs Commodore room, and it is the best breakfast buffet I have had anywhere. It was simply fabulous! I want to give this hotel five stars, but have to downgrade it a bit because of this incident, which I know is an isolated one. The second night also started off quiet, but then about 1:45 AM that all changed. Several young and very drunk men emerged from the elevator and were talking loudly in the hallway all the way to their room, which unfortunately was next to ours. There was slamming of doors, loud laughter, crude talk, music and more loud noises. We waited for it to settle down, but it was clear they were there to party. I called the front desk to complain and they sent up security immediately and were told to quiet down. They didn't. I called again 30 or so minutes later, and still nothing was done that solved the problem for more than 30 seconds. I called again about another 40 minutes later -- eventually about 3:40 things settled down. At 5:15AM it started all over again for about 35 minutes with the men in the room wrestling and banging against the walls, and again speaking in a crude manner. I didn't even bother to call down at that point because I knew it would be pointless. I feel the men should have been thrown out after the second call, but they weren't. I think the hotel failed miserably there. The hotel did adjust a little off our room rate, but it didn't make up for the lost night of sleep when we had a long drive the next day. Overall, I still give this hotel high marks, except for not being able to solve the noise problem as these men should have been told to leave. I understand that this is an isolated incident, but nevertheless, it did tarnish our stay. Other than that, I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: An upper room will diminish the street and valet parking traffic noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerAnnapolis, Manager at Loews Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for the great review. We certainly appreciate your recognition of the WEST Kitchen & Tavern and the service levels experienced throughout the hotel. I sincerely regret the noise issue and frankly it's inexcusable. We have a strict policy concerning noise and the room in question should have been monitored by our security staff and handled in a more proactive and appropriate manner. Thank you for the balanced review and for recommending our hotel.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed for a couple od nights on a business trip. Really convenient location close to many restaurants and the food at the hotel was excellent. The staff were very friendly and helpfull and the room was clean and the bed was awesome.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
ManagerAnnapolis, Manager at Loews Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and taking to time to post your review. Brief and to the point!! Thank you for complimenting the hotel staff and our efforts to hit the most important elements of the guest experience.
Sanibel Island, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

While planning atrip to Annapolis we were looking for a hotel that would accomodate our small Jack russel Terrier. We found that Loews took pets. Not only do they, but they can provide everything your dog would need. Although we don't pamper our dog, you could if you wanted to. Outside of accomodating our dog the hotel was amazing. The room was very confortable as well as the restaurant which I will review later. Overall a great stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Yes, Loews Loves Pets!! Thank you for visiting and we will look forward to your review of WEST Kitchen & Tavern! @WestKTAnnapolis has been a great new addition to Annapolis and Loews Hotels.
Vineland, Nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

The hotel room was spacious, clean, comfortable, and everything worked well. I had some problems with my room key(probably my fault, as I always have alot....keys/etc. in my pocket) but they always replaced them politely. Hotel staff was friendly. Restaurant was a bit pricey and a bit more gourmet than I like, and there really are not many more basic choices within walking distance, but that's not a motel issue and also just a matter of personal preference. Another reviewer suggested a vending area and I agree that would be nice. They do have refrigerators, and I was able to get a few things at the seven eleven across the street. The bottom line is that it is an excellent hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for visiting and trying our new restaurant! Fall menus will be coming out in October and I think you will find pricing a little more approachable. We have been using predominantly local ingredients which tends to drive up the price a bit, but we will continue to fine tune to ensure we find the right balance!!
NY-VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

When travelling I usually would prefer a B&B or Inn, but this time around decided to go with the Loews Hotel, due to a great rate and locatioin. We drove straight to the hotel parking and the woman parking attendant greeted us with a smile and was so nice. She gave us a card with the hotel phone number for shuttle service and also advised they had little jitney's that worked soley on gratuities. We took the elevator to the lobby and checked in. Brittany was wonderful. Check in was fast AND accurate. I requested early check in and a room in a quiet area and everything was in order (we arrived about 1:30pm). Brittany gave us a map of Annapolis and advised us of their shuttle service and jittney service as well. There is also a Free Trolley running up and down the streets. She mentioned the hotel restaurant, West, as well as several others and circled them on the map.
We were on the fourth floor and the room was a Deluxe Double. I'd swear those beds were queen size! Everything was immaculate. It was perfect. The bed was so wonderfully comfortable (I slept 45 minutes longer than usual!). Even though our room faced the street, there was no noise of any kind.
My husband and I decided to have a late lunch and started walking up the street to one of the suggested restaurants. Then we decided to go back to the hotel and try their restaurant, West. OMG!! It was the right choice.
To sum it up....EAT THERE! Don't miss out! We each had the Rockfish...to die for. This Chef....ROCKS! My only regret was NOT taking the advice of our great waitress, Lynn. She suggested splitting one entree and trying a couple appetizers. That's what you should do.
Dessert...I had the Zeppoles and asked if they had half portions. Lynn said no problem. WOW! When do you ever hear that in a restaurant?? And if you are wondering...we were only charged half!!! What planet are we on? Such excellent service and customer service.
After lunch, we took a jittney to downtown and walked around there for a couple hours.
We caught the early show at the Rams Head Tavern (who suggested the Loews hotel to us).
After the show, though we were not hungry, it was just such a beautiful night, we decided to go back to the hotel restaurant WEST and have a drink and try a couple of Tastes/Appetizers. We sat outside and I had the Lobster Sliders and my husband had the Crabcakes. OMG!!! AGAIN!! The food is way too special to pass up. YOU MUST DINE AT WEST.
This morning upon checking out, a lovely Michelle handed me my receipt. Everything was correct....not a glitch.
This was a great overnight stay. I will definately stay at another Loews hotel next time we travel and see if it comes any where near how wonderful this stay was.
If anyone experiences something bad or negative at this hotel, it's the guest...not this hotel.
This is now our hotel of choice for all future visits back to Annapolis.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank fastidious1
ManagerAnnapolis, Manager at Loews Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Wow!! Thank you!

When we remodeled our hotel, we decided we really needed to transform it! We needed to take advantage of the great presence on West Street and create a restaurant concept that was more of a community gathering place rather than a hotel restaurant. We wanted to have a cool environment, with excellent food sourced locally and "intelligent service". We've been open for 28 days and by all accounts have nailed it! There's always work to be done and we will continue to fine tune things...but, it makes us really happy to hear the vision coming to life through our guests!!

Thank you!