“Nice Hotel”

Loews Annapolis Hotel
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 6, 2012

My son and I stayed for one night during a short trip to Annapolis to look at St. John's College. We arrived later in the evening, were greeted by the parking attendant, who explained the difference in price for valet parking vs self park, and shortly after that someone came to get our bags. The front desk attendant was friendly and helpful. Our room was pleasant and clean, with comfortable beds. The bathroom was spotless and the shower-head was great with good pressure (really dislike some hotels' shower-heads that give up barely a trickle). Since it was late we opted for room service. Room service was very speedy, and the food arrived within a half an hour as stated, was hot and quite tasty. The hotel was walking distance to the college, which was a plus, and we enjoyed the pleasant walk through a pretty part of Annapolis. The hotel stored our bags the next morning and very quickly retrieved our car and bags when we returned later in the day.

Complaints are that someone was smoking in a room nearby and/or the ventilation system wasn't working properly because at a few different times there was definitely a tobacco smoke odor in the room (this was really annoying and I almost dropped another point in the rating despite the hotels positives), and that the internet connection in the room was a $10 charge for each of our computers. Even though I knew it was coming, that extra $20 and the valet parking charge of $25, added substantially to the bill. After reading some of the other comments, I realized that I should have been looking for a rate that include one or both of these.

Room Tip: Some rooms have windows that look onto an indoor courtyard. If that is not your thing, it would be g...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,309)

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Found a super rate for a Sunday night stay, which included breakfast and free internet access. Hotel is located right near Visitor's Center and the beginning of the endless street of food choices, and leads down to City Docks for shopping and people watching.

Room was clean, quiet and well appointed. Very quick check-in, the desk personnel were professional and courteous. Our room wasn't ready, so they suggested parking and walking around, and they called us when a room was ready.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the atrium or facing the back parking lot.
1  Thank teachbeach72
Reviewed March 15, 2012

We stayed at Loew's when we were in town to see a show at The Ram's Head Tavern. The hotel is spotless from top to bottom. At present, it is undergoing a rennovation to it's bar and restaurant, but that didn't affect our stay at all. The service is topnotch and the location is the best --- within walking distance to almost anything in downtown Annapolis. All in all, Loew's has spoiled us , we would not think of staying anywhere else when visiting the beautiful and historic Annapolis.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

My husband and I had never been to this city and spent this past Saturday night at the Loews in Annapolis and really loved it there. Annapolis itself is a charming city with a beautiful waterfront.
The hotel was in a good location, a short walk to the cute shopping area near the waterfront and best of all if the walk was too much, there was a free shuttle available to drive you to or from or both. I had purchased a package and it include free valet parking and 2 free breakfasts at the hotel, restaurant, Breeze so I was very happy with both those extras. The service I have to say was wonderful, everyone was very friendly and polite, and our bed was turned down- a perk I didn't know we had.

Room Tip: I think the rooms above the atrium would have been noisy due to a reception being held there. My roo...
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Normally I don't take the time to write reviews after staying at a hotel, as I believe we are wired to expect a certain level of service based upon the star rating. In general, I don't find much difference from one hotel to the next in this category; however, Loews Annapolis is the exception.

First, the hotel is going through renovations to its lobby and restaurant (perfect time of year, before the summer rush). The make shift lobby suited our needs just fine. We were able to get a late-night cocktail at the hotel bar - Breeze - and we were very surprised by the service and the attitude of the staff! One thing to note was the amount of staff located at the valet and front door. The level of service was more like a full 4-star hotel, rather than the 3 and a half stars on the various websites (Priceline, etc.). The room was standard, clean, and the king bed was very comfortable (close to a Westin bed, but without all of the pillows).

I would not have written a review if it wasn't for the extra level of service we received from Ihab Kherati. I have stayed at 4-stars all over the country/world and use the concierge service a lot for recommendations. I have always been pleased with their choices and their ability to get reservations. Ihab went the extra mile. I needed a recommendation for brunch with my parents, and he chose the Chart House (Great views and Food). I don't want to give away his secrets, but it seems like they have a great relationship with restaurant. I wanted to personally thank Ihab for making the end of my Dad's retirement party weekend memorable. Thanks Ihab!

Room Tip: The corner King rooms are nice X22...Quiet too.
1  Thank Brian123430242
Reviewed March 2, 2012

We got a special price package through Living Social, which they are probably pushing because the restaurant and lobby are under construction and they want some business. Our stay was great. The staff were very friendly and helpful. In our package, we got free valet parking as well as breakfast in their smaller restaurant. The breakfast was wonderful, served by a charming waiter. Crab eggs benedict, and crab omelette made it a really Maryland breakfast. Even offer take out coffee at the end.
Rooms are small, but very clean; terry robes in the closet. Fun to have a Keurig coffee maker in the room with a nice selection of coffees and teas. Close enough to walk to many restaurants and shops on church and state house circles, as well as the inner harbor. Apparently they have a free shuttle to the harbor as well. A very good deal.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I find it difficult to rate this hotel, because the customer service made up for what I would consider "flaws" in other areas. I am torn between 3 and 4 stars. Here is the good, bad, and the ugly:
Husband and I went to stay for Friday through Sunday recently, and while we don't frequent 4-star hotels, we've occasionally stayed at a few very nice hotels on the generosity of friends or for a special government rate.
First impressions: rooms were small (they look much bigger online) but adequate. Everything was clean and mostly well-maintained. Food was fairly good, our room include a coffee maker, t.v., microwave (which was stored in the closet??), mini fridge, and the basic toiletries and such.
Gym was okay, better than some I have been to. 24-hours with key card, included three ellipticals, three treadmills, one recumbent bike, one upright bike, a few basic weight machines (leg press, etc.), hand weights, medicine balls, one bosu ball, several mats, towels, and ridiculously tiny water bottles. Apples and cold towels were also available. Strangely, there is no water fountain. I had to go back and get a bottle of water from our room a few times because there were no tiny ones left and obviously without a water fountain I was bound to get dehydrated.
Staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Everyone was gracious and kind, and a newspaper was left outside our door each day. Because we were on the 5th floor (more expensive rooms), we received a complimentary breakfast each morning (moderately good hotel food - very fresh fruit and a fair amount of choices) and could use the special lounge, which had internet, computer, printer, and a large t.v. with some comfortable couches and a dining area. Fresh pears, apples, and bananas were left in the dining area each day.

Specific pros/cons:

On the positive side, when we were informed that the room we had booked (a Deluxe) contained two beds, and not one, and asked for a room with one bed, we were upgraded to a suite on the 5th floor (which is why we received the complimentary breakfast and use of the lounge) which had a king bed. This room normally would've been about 50 dollars more per night.

Staff were incredibly gracious and helpful, very quick to point us in the right direction. Valet parking (which I found hilarious considering they parked my husband's old ford ranger pickup truck) was nice, and they even asked if we needed directions anywhere. The staff made up for any other concerns, generally. Without their customer service I would've ranked this hotel at 3 stars.

On the negative side, considering what these rooms normally cost, this is not a four-star hotel. While the staff is very courteous and friendly, there were a few little issues that should've been covered.

First, upon entering the room i found the fridge had not yet been plugged in, which required my 5.5-month pregnant self crawling under the desk to plug it in. Secondly, the fridge had no temperature control and consequently froze half of the food we put in.
Third, because it was windy (not hurricane winds, mind you... just windy!) the first night, I hardly slept - there was a loud (LOUD!) sound of metal scraping on metal every 10 minutes or so on the roof above us. Eventually this got to be too much for me, and I called down - they offered to move us, but it was to a floor three below ours, at 2 in the morning, and I decided to tough it out. While the customer service meant that they were very gracious in offering to move us, this shouldn't be an issue anyone has to deal with, wind or no wind. I was exhausted after that first night.
Fourth, the rooms are not very quiet - I could hear our neighbor's phone ringing in the morning, and it woke me.
Fifth, those tiny water bottles in the gym really were silly, and they ran out regularly, despite there hardly ever being anyone in the gym. Lack of a water fountain and NO EQUIPMENT TO SPRAY DOWN/DISINFECT THE MACHINES were also major oversights. There was NOTHING in the gym with which to clean the equipment. Several of the t.v.s also worked on the cardio equipment, but several did not.
Sixth, it would've been helpful to be informed that bathrobes were kept in the closet, as was the microwave.
The caulking in the bathtub was also not secure - I am pretty sure water could go through the little holes in the caulking. Less of a concern for me, but again a small detail you would assume a 4-star hotel might be on top of.
One of the strangest things about this hotel was the fact that although we paid a little extra each night so that we could have complimentary parking and 20 dollars of beverage credit, my husband got one drink - an 8 dollar jack and coke - and yet we still had to pay tax and gratuity on that drink out of pocket - 1.87 (?), despite the fact that we technically still had 12 dollars in beverage credit. Isn't that strange??
In general, good hotel, not four star, but the customer service is what pushed it to four stars in my opinion.
Also, beds are VERY comfortable - if I hadn't heard everything through the walls and from the roof, I am sure I would've slept very well.

Room Tip: book the deluxe, but see if they will upgrade you to the premium package (5th floor)
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple