“Perfect hotel for Annapolis”

Historic Inns of Annapolis
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Perfect hotel for Annapolis”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We chose the Historic Inns of Annapolis for a four-night excursion to Annapolis. My wife and I were very pleased with the choice and our experience. We reserved a king room in The Maryland Inn. Our third floor room allowed us a view of the harbor which made the stay exceptional.
For those expecting a contemporary hotel with the respective amenities they may be disappointed. If you are searching for an elegant historic property with a terrific location this hotel works perfectly.

The check-in process was smooth and the staff exhibited concern for our enjoyment of our stay. The room was a generous size for a hotel from this vintage. The bathroom is quite small with a very small stall shower. If you are above average in width this may not work for you. We considered the small bathroom a reasonable trade off for the location and character of The Maryland Inn. This building houses the HIA restaurant and bar. We had breakfast as our only meal at the hotel. Our breakfast and the service were very good. The bar and restaurant is open for limited days and hours.

I imagine some people may find the quirks of an old inn inconvenient we thought it best to experience a historic city in a historic property. Among the quirks; you valet your vehicle at the Governor Calvert House and return to The Maryland Inn via a short walk or the valet will drive you there. The Maryland Inn does not have a front desk or concierge on duty. Those functions are housed at the Governor Calvert House. We did not find this to be a problem for our stay.

For those needing on the room had a large flat screen television and most satisfactory wireless access.

All in all we will return here on our next visit to Annapolis. It was a great experience.

Room Tip: Request an upper floor for a water view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Marshall D:

Thank you for giving us your feedback about your recent stay. It certainly seems like you enjoyed yourself and recognized several of the unique features of our Hotel. I was very happy to read that our staff had some positive interaction with you and that our location worked well too.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you.

Mike Radike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My wife and I made a spur of the moment decision to visit Annapolis for a weekend and booked the HIA that morning. We hopped in the car and 4 hours later checked in to a very nice room that they upgraded for us in the Robert Johnson building. I didn't explore the other two buildings as I had enough to do exploring the town, the Naval Academy and of course two of their finer pubs!
All in all a nice stay, quiet room and great location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear mc423:

Thank you for posting your feedback about your recent stay with us. I was happy to read that we were your “spontaneous” choice for a getaway weekend and that we were able to provide you with an upgrade at check in. I’m glad you found your room to be quiet and our location to be conducive to your exploration of Annapolis.

We appreciate your business and will continue to strive for a ranking of “5” on all of our TripAdvisor reviews. We hope to see you again soon.

Washington, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I spent the weekend at the Robert Johnson house for a wedding at the Governor Calvert. The rooms were what you would expect from the location; they fit beautifully with the outside décor and were a decent size. I would recommend the Governor Calvert, but not the Robert Johnson.

Pros:

The Décor: The hotel’s common spaces and rooms were beautifully decorated in the décor you would expect given the historic feel. Although definitely not for everyone, it complements the architecture and feel of Annapolis perfectly.

The Staff: From the valets outside to the desk staff to the bartenders at the reception, every employee I encountered onsite was amazing. One particular experience that I won’t soon forget was in regards to the valet staff. When I arrived I was extremely frazzled due to the conditions outside (see below in cons), and although I’m sure it was showing on my face, the valets were the most courteous and helpful people I could have imagined. He even offered not only to help me with my bags as is typical, but drive my car with me in it to the Robert Johnson so I wouldn’t have to stress.

The Location (as a whole): You could not ask for a better location within Annapolis to be staying. We had a very short walk to anything and everything we could ever ask to see.
The Wedding Venue: The wedding that I attended at the Governor Calvert was in one of the most beautiful venues I have ever seen. It was absolutely magical to hold both the ceremony and reception in, and worked perfectly and smoothly for everyone involved.

Cons:

The Location: when initially booking months before the wedding (September 21), I was informed that there were no rooms remaining at the Governor Calvert but that there were rooms at the Robert Johnson. We booked a room there in order to be included in the block; however, I was surprised to find people who booked in the months after ourselves still included in the block, who managed to get rooms at the Governor Calvert. Although the distance is not far, it does seem like a thousand miles away when you leave your key in your room (first night, completely my own fault), or the key demagnetizes from being near your phone at one in the morning.
To be fair, we were aware that we were in a separate building; however, the lack of any personnel that late at night and having to run back and forth between buildings in the middle of the night on slippery cobblestone sidewalks was an unwelcome surprise.

The Temperature: Our door had large gaps between the frame and door itself, which I believe led to the problems we had with temperature. With only a sheet and duvet, the beds were extremely comfortable but I would wake up one hour sweating and the next in chills. The same problems seemed consistent in the Governor Calvert as the atrium where the wedding was held was freezing to the point of needing a sweater, but then the lobby and other rooms were hot.

Driving and Parking:
Driving in Annapolis when it is busy is not for the faint of heart! By the time I made it to the Governor Calvert to check in I had gone down a number of wrong turn roads and around the circle which the hotels are located on—wherein parking on either side of the circle leaves very tight spaces, and a very uncomfortable drive. Even when I pulled up to the hotel I was asked to circle around again as the space in front of the hotel was too small to fit into. Despite being a guest at the hotel there was a charge of $24 per day to park at the hotel—which I hadn’t been planning on paying, but by the time I arrived and couldn’t find anywhere to park to even check in, I had no choice but to accept. Admittedly it made the trip much smoother, but the steep price coupled with the hectic driving conditions was definitely hard to get used to!

Room Tip: Make sure to know which hotel you are booking in!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear SCTestor:

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write and note the many very positive aspects of your stay. I appreciate as well the opportunities you point out for us to improve, especially as it relates to the air conditioning issues you encountered, both in your room and in the atrium at the Governor Calvert.

I was pleased to read how beautiful you felt our venue was and that our team demonstrated such a great service focus. We value your business and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I have always wanted to stay in Annapolis but had only ever stopped on my way to and from the Eastern Shore while on vacation. Thankfully this time we were able to spend the night and were lucky enough to land an ocean-view room at the Robert Johnson House. I had hoped to stay in either of the other 2 inns that are part of this property, but I was told this one was quietest. Not only did our room (#408) have a corner view of both the State House and the water, but it was clean and very quiet. Walking distance to everything, and check in and out was a breeze. Just FYI, this was also my first time using Priceline, and I was able to get to get it requesting a 3-star property in the center city at a great price. We look forward to staying here again!

Room Tip: Robert Johnson House is a great quiet location that is only a couple blocks from all the action. Roo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear JessieViolet:

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to hear that you were pleased with your room and that several different aspects came together to make your stay very enjoyable.

We will definitely work to ensure future “total” ratings from you are a “5” to reflect the individual rating ratings area where you graded us a “5” in each category.

Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Our stay was short, but our experience in Annapolis was disappointing in a couple of ways. First off when we found the Inn, we found out we were not in the building where we signed in, but were sent to another location. The Maryland Inn was located just a few short blocks away, but had no staff there to speak of. We also found the parking in the area to be very high demand. The only option given was to pay for the valet parking at an additional $24 a day - on street parking was nonexistent while we were there. We learned from the Visitors Information office where to find a couple of parking garages which charged $20 for overnight parking. Our room was lovely and clean, but very small and the bathroom was very compact.

Room Tip: Ask about what building your room is located - there are more than one location.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear HaveBagsPacked:

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that you were in a different building. I would need additional information in order to properly comment on this situation but I can tell you we have three separate buildings. A person making a reservation chooses a room associated with a specific building and email confirmations include verbiage that all guests check in at the Governor Calvert House, regardless of which building they may have reserved. Likewise, we provide similar disclosures about valet parking.

I was more pleased to read you found our room to be “lovely” and clean. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I or my daughter, or both of us, have been staying at the Historic Inns of Annapolis during our several visits to this city for over a year now. Every stay has been marked by exceptional customer service, clean and unique rooms in fascinating buildings in a great location. Special requests, such as extra towels and pillows, are met with a smile. The inns are located in the thick of Annapolis, right next to great shops, boutiques and restaurants as well as the Naval Academy. Valet your car at Governor Calvert House or taxi to the Inns; you can walk to everything. The staff is a great source for dining suggestions, and don't miss the Treaty of Paris by the Maryland Inn; it's absolutely amazing!

Of course the buildings are older, and if modern and new is the only thing that will make you happy, the Historic Inns might not be for you. However, I'm a lover of contemporary architecture and modern design, yet I love a little travel back in time when I visit Annapolis and stay in the Historic Inns. The service, thoughtfulness of staff, location, cleanliness, charm, and historical significance are wonderful reasons to stay at these Inns.

Room Tip: Let the staff know your needs at booking, and they'll do everything possible to accommodate.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lovesthebeach1989
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear lovesthebeach1989:

Thank you for your feedback. I am so proud of the quality of your stays over time has been consistent. That consistency of experience over time is important to any business, and especially to one such as ours.

We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. We are pleased to be your hotel of choice when you visit Annapolis.

Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited several months ago and decided to come back again.

As before the staff was professional and efficient.

This time we wanted to stay in the Robert Johnson House. We were upgraded to a fantastic two level suite. Everything was clean. Plenty of nice towels. A ton of space. Except in the bathrooms which lack some counter space.

The furniture is amazing. Our room, actually two rooms, had two really nice wardrobes instead of closets. The feel and character is really great.

We got to visit the Drummers Lot Pub. A vey nice period pub. The barman was very good.

Use the valet parking. It's convenient and easy to use. All of the Inn's are within an easy walk of all Annapolis attractions.

The next time we visit Annapolis we will stay here again!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom F
Dear Tom F:

Thank you for posting your feedback. I was very happy to read how pleased you were with your stay and that many aspects of your stay went so well.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.