“Slow Start but Good Recovery”

Historic Inns of Annapolis
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We were staying at the Maryland Inn. The very first night our bed sagged very badly. We like togetherness, but my wife and I rolled together in the valley formed in the middle of the bed. It turned out that the bed had broken boards in the box spring. After a sleepless night I registered a concern with the manager, who promptly had the bed fixed and offered to comp our first night. The Inn is superbly located in Historic Annapolis. The Inn's main lobby (in a separate building) they offer iced tea and cold lemonaide in beautiful glass containers. In our building they offered complimentary coffee in the mornings. Also, there was a Starbucks in the basement. There are dozens of good restaurants/pubs within easy walking distance, and it's an easy walk to the waterfront and the US Naval Academy.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank NewAdventurer2
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear NewAdventurer2:

Thank you for posting your feedback on your recent stay with us. I apologize that you encountered issues with your bed but was glad to read that Steve, our Manager on Duty, responded promptly to your concerns. I was pleased to see that you did find a number of other features of your stay that went well.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you.

Mike Radike

Write a ReviewReviews (1,186)

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Literally just left the Calvert House after an amazing four days. Our room was wonderful and homey. All staff members were beyond helpful and friendly. They offer a free shuttle service which I highly recommend-thanks Jamie! Close to everything downtown has to offer. A very charming town and staff. Thank you for making the Big 30 a great time!

• Stayed: September 2013
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Scholleruno:

Thank you for posting your feedback about your recent stay with us. I was so happy to read that our team provided exceptional service and will personally thank Jamie for the efforts she made on your behalf. I am delighted we contributed to some great memories.

We will see you back again soon. Thank you.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We have once again had a wonderful experience!!! Just love the charm & location!!! Linens so nice and air conditioning works well. We were easy walking distance to everything downtown Annapolis has to offer

Room Tip: The rooms are small and resemble the1800's when it was built. But so beautiful and charming and...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Dear Breakeven:

Thank you for your feedback about your recent visit. I am delighted that we continue to provide you with a great experience and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Have a great week and see you soon. Thanks.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Spent three great nights with the Mrs. in the Robert Johnson house over Labor Day weekend, for an annual event that's been in Annapolis the last two years (Unfortunately, next two years are Rochester, NY. Ugh).
Great location right on State Circle, walk to everything in town (including a couple great restaurants I'll review seperately, Harry Browne's & Osteria 177), literally four minute drive to our reason for being in town at Navy - Marine Corps Stadium, great view out our three big windows of the Maryland State House dome. Room was super clean, fairly large, even if the bathroom was on the smaller side. Bed very comfortable, entire property realy quiet. Almost felt we had our own house in town, with the first floor sitting room and the private patio off of it.
Nearly all of the staff was super nice, especially the young lady who checked us in Friday afternoon and all of the valet folks (Who were also very quick to retrieve our car when we called) .The valet who helped us at check-in had was waiting out front for us before we finished driving around the circle, and had our bags upstairs before we got there. Only less-than-nice one was the gentleman at the front desk Sunday night. I joked with him about a small backup at valet, handing him my keys, and he practically reacted like I called him a name or something!
I could live with one person seeming to have a bad night for a minute or so, but what really kept me from issuing a top rating was the huge gap at the bottom of our door that constantly let the 80-plus degree air from the apparently not air conditioned hallway into our room. We could not get the room temp below 75 all weekend because of this. So fix your doors, guys, and I'll rate you a five!
So in spite of that issue, as big as it as, if our travels bring us back to Annapolis, because of the great location, the generally great staff, and the excellent condition of the rooms and public areas, Historic Inns of Annapolis would for sure be our first choice!

Room Tip: Per my review, the upper floor hallways ted to get REALLY hot. If your door doesn't go all the w...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear BermudaBum:

Thank you for the detail of your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am very pleased that so many things went right. I apologize for the reaction of our valet on Sunday night and will follow up with our Account Manager on this. I do know we have some gaps at the bottom of some of our doors and will discuss with our Chief Engineer how we might be able to address this issue. Thank you for letting me know about both of these items.

We appreciate your business and hope you enjoyed the Drum Corp competition this year and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

After missing my connecting flight, I arrived a bit after 11:00 PM to a cheerful employee at the desk who informed me that I had been upgraded in my room at the Robert Johnson House. An equally helpful valet drove me around the circle from the Calvert House where you check in. The suite was very clean, roomy, and comfortable and a welcome sight after a long day.

This was my first stay in the Historic Inns of Annapolis. I was in town for an evening event at the Naval Academy and chose the hotel largely for it's location on State Circle. Everything in downtown Annapolis and the Naval Academy is in walking distance which allowed me to use a shuttle from and to BWI airport avoiding the expense of a rental car and the expense and hassle of dealing with parking in Annapolis. If you have no need to go anywhere but the downtown Annapolis area, this will more than offset the lower costs of the hotels several miles out. I will use this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Dear bxdiver65:

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. I was so happy to read that you were warmly welcomed and that we provided great service to you during your recent sty with us. I was equally pleased to read you found the location of the Historic Inns of Annapolis to be very good and that you will choose us on your next visit to Annapolis.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if you need personal assistance. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Booked 2 nights and was looking forward to staying at the Maryland House based on the amenities and reviews. Upon arrival we were told we were "upgraded" to the Johnson House which we were told offered a larger bed. The reality was the room felt smaller and frankly the HVAC was terrible. I believe we were bumped to make room for a wedding that was booked that same weekend. I would have preferred to stay in the location we were booked or at least given the option.

That's really the only negative.

Annapolis has amazing charm and character. The location of our hotel did not compromise in anyway our ability to walk to harbor area. All of the hotel buildings are within a 5 min walk of each other and the location is perfect for walking to the marina area, naval academy and the restaurant and bars.

Little hint- parking at the Municipal Lot on St. John Street is free on weekends. If you don't plan on driving your car much during your stay, take advantage of the free parking.

Room Tip: Don't let them bump you to the Johnson House.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear JSK405:

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. I apologize that you did not enjoy your room at the Robert Johnson House and am also sorry that you were not given an option to remain in the Maryland Inn. When we move a reservation from one building to another we typically verbalize to guests at check in that we have done so; we do this in an effort to ensure proper distribution of rooms by building. However, our protocol is that we also let the guest decline this, giving you a chance to say “No.” I appreciate your feedback on this and will follow up with my team to make sure this is in fact happening.

I hope you will visit Annapolis again and if so consider choosing the Historic Inns for that future visit.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Staff very helpful, made dinner reservation for me and it was excellent. The room was spectacular, king bed very comfortable, and there were 9 pillows. Hot water very hot, room very clean. Within walking distance of dock and center of city.

Room Tip: Gov Calvert house with king bed exceptional
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Barbarabliss:

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to read that you so very much enjoyed your stay and found us to be deserving of a “5” Ranking.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.