“History and Location”

Historic Inns of Annapolis
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Annapolis
Reviewed August 30, 2013

After missing my connecting flight, I arrived a bit after 11:00 PM to a cheerful employee at the desk who informed me that I had been upgraded in my room at the Robert Johnson House. An equally helpful valet drove me around the circle from the Calvert House where you check in. The suite was very clean, roomy, and comfortable and a welcome sight after a long day.

This was my first stay in the Historic Inns of Annapolis. I was in town for an evening event at the Naval Academy and chose the hotel largely for it's location on State Circle. Everything in downtown Annapolis and the Naval Academy is in walking distance which allowed me to use a shuttle from and to BWI airport avoiding the expense of a rental car and the expense and hassle of dealing with parking in Annapolis. If you have no need to go anywhere but the downtown Annapolis area, this will more than offset the lower costs of the hotels several miles out. I will use this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Dear bxdiver65:

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. I was so happy to read that you were warmly welcomed and that we provided great service to you during your recent sty with us. I was equally pleased to read you found the location of the Historic Inns of Annapolis to be very good and that you will choose us on your next visit to Annapolis.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if you need personal assistance. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Mike Radike

Write a ReviewReviews (1,165)

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Booked 2 nights and was looking forward to staying at the Maryland House based on the amenities and reviews. Upon arrival we were told we were "upgraded" to the Johnson House which we were told offered a larger bed. The reality was the room felt smaller and frankly the HVAC was terrible. I believe we were bumped to make room for a wedding that was booked that same weekend. I would have preferred to stay in the location we were booked or at least given the option.

That's really the only negative.

Annapolis has amazing charm and character. The location of our hotel did not compromise in anyway our ability to walk to harbor area. All of the hotel buildings are within a 5 min walk of each other and the location is perfect for walking to the marina area, naval academy and the restaurant and bars.

Little hint- parking at the Municipal Lot on St. John Street is free on weekends. If you don't plan on driving your car much during your stay, take advantage of the free parking.

Room Tip: Don't let them bump you to the Johnson House.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear JSK405:

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. I apologize that you did not enjoy your room at the Robert Johnson House and am also sorry that you were not given an option to remain in the Maryland Inn. When we move a reservation from one building to another we typically verbalize to guests at check in that we have done so; we do this in an effort to ensure proper distribution of rooms by building. However, our protocol is that we also let the guest decline this, giving you a chance to say “No.” I appreciate your feedback on this and will follow up with my team to make sure this is in fact happening.

I hope you will visit Annapolis again and if so consider choosing the Historic Inns for that future visit.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Staff very helpful, made dinner reservation for me and it was excellent. The room was spectacular, king bed very comfortable, and there were 9 pillows. Hot water very hot, room very clean. Within walking distance of dock and center of city.

Room Tip: Gov Calvert house with king bed exceptional
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Barbarabliss:

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to read that you so very much enjoyed your stay and found us to be deserving of a “5” Ranking.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

This was an overnight stay on the way home from a meeting in Pennsylvania. Annapolis is a destination for many people (far too many) for various reasons. It is a historic city in itself, it is the site of the U.S. Naval Academy and it is the Maryland state capitol. In our case, it was a break from a long ride in an interesting location.

We chose the Historic Inns of Annapolis and were assigned to the Maryland House. The room was a little tight, say about European city hotel standards. It was however, clean and the location was unbeatable, right at the head of Main Street. It was an easy stroll to the waterfront with shopping and a plethora of restaurants. This visit was on a Sunday and after one walk to the waterfront for lunch, fighting through crowds of people, we bought a bottle of wine and returned to the hotel. We spent a pleasant couple of hours sitting at a table on the porch playing cards, sipping wine and watching the crowds. The mob cleared eventually and we went back to the waterfront to Pusser's for dinner.

We enjoyed our stay at the Maryland House for it's historic significance but for an extended stay the room may seem cramped to some. The cost was lower than we expected, especially for a historic building in the center of the city. There does not appear to be 24 hour staff at this location. We did not need anything but I suppose if you need something after hours, one would call the main number (at a different location) and help would be on the way.

We received a nice surprise by being comped by the parking attendant without cost for overnight parking. This had nothing to do with the hotel, just a nice gesture by a city employee for no discernible reason.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Pete S

Dear Pete S:

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. I was glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location to be convenient and the stay to be pleasant.

We are glad you decided to stop over and appreciate your business. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed at the Maryland Inn for a wedding this July and my boyfriend and I really enjoyed our time there. Our room on the 4th floor was tiny, but it didn't really matter since we weren't there to hang out in the room! The old-school ambiance, complete with artifacts from the Lincoln era, really made this place feel special. I'm definitely considering coming back in the fall.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear Durbinni:

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to see that your “Stay and Play” performed exactly as we like it to – provide a clean, comfortable home base for you to explore and enjoy the downtown Historic District.

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We arrived at the Calvert House and believed our booked stay was there for two nights. To our surprise, we were told our room was at The Maryland Inn. We made thel trip to Annapolis to experience the Historic Inns, but were not informed of its three separate sites. Having experienced stays at other historic Victorian Inns in VA and NJ, our room at The Maryland Inn fell short of expectations. The positives are polite staff members and its central location in town.

Room Tip: Avoid a dark room because it makes the room feel smaller and closed in.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear ChakChef:

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am sorry you did not know we have three physically separate buildings that comprise the Historic Inns. This is prominently noted on our website and we make note of the central check in location on the confirmation emails that our guests receive. I am sorry that this was not made more clear to you prior to your arrival; we will continue to be very open in both our written notices and our verbal discussions with guests.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to having a future opportunity to be of service.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

For our "Girls Weekend" we stayed at the Governor Calvert House in Annapolis MD. It's a lovely, charming, historic place with great service oriented staff and the most comfy beds ever! It's within walking distance of the cute shops, seafood restaurants and the waterfront dock area. The valet parking is so convenient and they allowed us to check in 2 hours early so we could get started having fun.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Dear Suzbonjour:

Thank you for posting your feedback about your recent. I was glad to read you enjoyed your stay and found so many different aspects of it that came together to make such a pleasant visit.

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to your next weekend getaway – don’t wait too long for another great visit!