“Nice place to stay”

Historic Inns of Annapolis
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Reviewed June 7, 2013

After reading the previous reviews on tripadvisor, I requested a Historic Queen room in the Governer Calvert house. Both the Governer Calvert house and the Robert Johnson house are behind the State house on a very quiet street. The Maryland Inn is at the intersection of two extremely busy roads so I would have to think it was noisy inside. Go with the other recommendations and request the 3rd floor- I was in room 316 and it was very spacious. The room was also very clean. The bed wasn't too bad but it squeaked a bit. The walls in the hotel seemed pretty thin (we could hear the person next store sneeze), but it did quiet down at night. The Governer Calvery house is located off the beaten path a bit- within walking distance to the bars in town but not close- this could be considered good and bad. The neighborhood was very safe and the valet parking was very conveinent. I would stay here again if I went back to the area. The staff was always very helpful in offering recommendations for dinner, shopping, etc.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank karen53a
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Dear Karen53a:

Thank you for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor. I was glad to read you enjoyed your stay in one of our Historic Queen Rooms at the Governor Calvert House and that you found our team to be very helpful. It was great that you felt the room was very clean and the valet parking was convenient; I will share that as well.

We appreciate your patronage and do look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Annapolis.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed at the Maryland Inn recently, and for the most part was happy. The location is excellent, and everyone was very friendly. The television was new and had an amazing selection of channels and the wireless internet was free and very, very good. I echo some of the comments from others about things being dated and in need of updating. The housekeeping staff was also excellent, leaving fresh towels, toiletries and cleaning the room every day. The carpeting in my room smelled somewhat moldy and there was a large gap between the wall floorboards and the carpet. I realize that the hotel is old, and it is charming but the old part does have a downside. My last morning there I saw a huge cockroach running across the carpet. I know there are bugs in humid environments, but I think if the floorboards and carpeting were replaced there wouldn't be anyplace for them to get in. I think they do their best, but I don't think I would stay there again unless I had heard they had updated it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank wolfes5
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear Wolfes5:

Thank you for your feedback and for pointing out issues we can address. I certainly apologize for the insect you saw; I have reached out to our pest control company and we will have the Maryland Inn inspected. We will also have our housekeeping team report any gaps in carpet against the floorboard so those can be addressed.

I was more pleased to hear that so many other aspects of your stay were noted as being much more positive. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you on your next visit to Annapolis.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I attended a small confernce/meeting held at the Governor Calvert House and really enjoyed it. Would like to go back and try it for pleasure sometime. The House is nicely renovated, quiet, and had great service. From the front desk staff to the food service, it was well run, friendly and a quality experience. The food was good, the room restful and overall a great experience in an interesting area I'd love to visit again and expore more. I'd definitely go back! (Room 410 has a terrace outside it that would be a nice feature if only I'd been there a bit longer to enjoy it more.) I didn't visit the fitness room, as it seemed to be in one of the neighboring hotels not in the building.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear CGUrbanaIllinois:

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. It was great to hear that so many different aspects of your stay went well. We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon and appreciate that you chose us for your stay in Annapolis.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

My family and I have stayed at the Maryland Inn and the Robert Johnson House several times over the past year. We first stayed here because the location is wonderful. It is in the center of downtown and convenient to the waterfront, main street and the Naval Academy. We could really walk to most anything we wanted to do and the hotel even offers a shuttle around the downtown area so that was very nice for dinner at night! The rooms are traditional and very comfortable. Some rooms are bigger than others but they all have been lovely. This past visit, we found a nice front porch at the Maryland Inn which was nice for afternoon visiting and a great meeting place. But, probably the best quality is the service you will receive from the front dest, valet drivers, and housekeeping. I look forward to our next visit back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa2016
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Lisa2016:

Thank you for your ongoing patronage of the buildings of the Historic Inns of Annapolis. I am so pleased to read that you have enjoyed the various rooms you have had a chance to experience over the last year and that the quality of our service has been something you can give an “exclamation point” to!

We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Annapolis.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Upon check-in, wonderful valet service took me and my bags to my room in the Maryland Inn. I had one of the quieter rooms, i.e., not facing out on busy Main Street, which suited me well. My small room and bath were very clean and comfortable, perfect for this solo traveler. Without exception, service all along the line was outstanding--prompt, good-humored, knowledgeable, and helpful. The window air-conditioning unit worked very well on those very hot days. The bed was quite comfortable and I slept well. (Though those desiring an extra-firm mattress might want to make further inquiries.) Located at the convergence of Main Street and Duke of Gloucester Street at Church Circle, the location is terrific--very close to the State House and the Ram's Head Tavern, and a short walk to the waterfront, too. A great "base camp" for adventures around town. Express check-out enabled me to depart without having to stop at the front desk: The valet brought around my car, came to my room, brought my bags to my vehicle and loaded them in the trunk...and off I went. A most pleasant stay!

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from busy Main Street are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Dear LeslieR:

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor! I was so pleased to read about the overall quality of service you received from our Team and that you found the Maryland Inn to be, as you say, a great “base camp” from which to explore all the Annapolis has to offer.

We appreciate your business and your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Governor Calvert House, Historic Inns on our last visit to Annapolis. The rooms were a traditional style hotel room but the furniture was very charming and the beds were wonderful, (one of our top priorities in sleeping quarters!) The rooms have window into the interior courtyard. The Hotel itself is peppered with historical pictures and information about the hotel and its surroundings. One room off the lobby is really very interesting; it has a glass floor that exposes the heating system used in the greenhouse of the original buildings, (you don’t see that at every hotel!) The absolute highpoint of this hotel is its staff. They are professional, friendly and they literally do everything they can to accommodate your needs. I had left a bag of souvenirs at the hotel (I think I left it out front when I was getting in the car) and they retrieved it and held it for my daughter to pick up. Overall I would rate them “A” in terms of a Hospitality team. (Special thanks to Kaitlin who really hooked us up with a good room during the trying times of “Commissioning Week” for the Annapolis Naval Academy!) Next time we need a room in Annapolis we will definitely go to Historic Inns of Annapolis.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear MariettaA:

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us in the Governor Calvert House. I am so delighted to read about and so proud of the efforts made by our team in helping to ensure your stay went well. I was also glad to see that you enjoyed the physical attributes of the hotel and some of the unique features, such as the Hypocaust Room.

We value your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Annapolis.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed at the Robert Johnson House for 2 nights over commissioning week. Fantastic location. The room was lovely and clean. Our guests loved the inn. It is an old Inn, the furniture was appropriate, old style but in very good condition. If you are looking for a pool and room service, this is not your hotel, but if you want an old style, historic hotel convenient to downtown this is your place! I would stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear thehockeymumoslo:

Thank you for posting your feedback about your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you had a great time and that you so enjoyed the Robert Johnson House. As a Military “Brat” myself I’d like to extend my personal congratulations on your Child’s Graduation from the United States Naval Academy.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!