“Below Average "Historic" place”

Historic Inns of Annapolis
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed in the "Maryland Inn" part of this three hotel historic establishment. It was odd having to check in at a hotel about 1/3 of a mile away from the hotel I was actually staying at. I then had to walk my luggage to the actual hotel I was in. With that being said, I was hoping the room would be better, it wasn't. The room was basically a small 1700's bedroom with an odd mixture of old and new furniture, complete with very squeaky floor. The room had a window AC/Heating unit which was quite loud when it cycled on/off. The bathroom was tiny. The tub drained extremely slow leaving me in ankle deep water. The carpeting looked very 1940's, and was a gold color that had the appearance that is was dirty. The closet had a chair jammed right next to it (because there wasn't really any other place to put it) which limited the opening of the door. The door to the room looked very easy for an intruder to get in. At night light from the hallway was visible all the way around it. The door frame on the inside seriously had 20 coats of paint over wood that had various gouges in it over the years. It had a flop house quality to it. There was nothing good to say about this room. There are absolutely no vending machines in the hotel and my floor didn't even have an ice machine. The hotel is located in a good area to go walk around, but other than its location, I can't say anything good.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank DesertCreatures
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Desert Creatures:

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am so sorry that the nature of the hotels did not appeal to you. I will share your feedback with my team and we will work to address the items you have noted. I appreciate your comments and we will work to do a better job for all our guests.

If your travels to bring you back to Annapolis I would be pleased to assist in any way that I can.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

This was our third stay at Maryland Inn. The last time were were here, we had a small but reasonably sized room. This one, unfortunately, was tiny. Had to walk into the bathroom, lean in to the shower, then close the door. The beds are comfy albeit smallish. The room was very hot when we arrived but we were able to get it cooler with the a/c.

Room Tip: Book in advance and ask for a larger room. The smallest one is terribly uncomfortable, especially f...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear LMC331:

Thank you for continuing to choose us for your visits to Annapolis. You are absolutely correct in noting that we have various room sizes, much of which is due to the building’s historic nature. We strive to provide a clean room with great service and it looks like we were able to achieve those goals based on your review. We appreciate your ongoing patronage and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

This is my fourth time staying at the Inns and I can't say enough about them. I wish I could bring the beds home, they are like sleeping on a cloud. I love how easy check-in is & they are so welcoming & accommodating. No negatives about the inns. I travel several times throughout the year & this is my favorite place to visit & stay. My favorite is the Maryland inn, I love the balcony & location of the Inn.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Jamerianmama:

Thank you for your feedback about the Historic Inns. I was so delighted to read that you enjoyed several different aspects of your stay and of the hotel. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Where to begin? Stayed at the Maryland House, one of 3 physical locations for the historic inns at Annapolis. Rooms are tiny. Bathrooms about the size of a toilet on a plane. No room to put cosmetics or toiletries in the bathroom. Only mirror in room was a small one above the bathroom sink. Shower head lacked pressure, and the water stream was a thin trickle. The TV was the largest item in the room. The closet was about the size of the bathroom. The entire floor sloped downward from the door, leaving a 3 inch gap at the far end of the door -- my head was below my feet in bed. The floor creaked. There was a combination A/C Heater window unit....it cycled on for about 30 seconds, then about 60 seconds of silence, rinse and repeat for the whole night....no room thermostat. You had a choice of broiling or freezing. No chair in room (no space). The dresser drawers were sized for a child -- insufficient depth. The only window in the room was occupied by the A/C Heater. IN SHORT, MOTEL 6 would have been a better option.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank ekestler

Dear ekestler:

Thank you for your feedback and for the detail of your comments. I apologize your stay did not go well. I appreciate that you have given us a great list to work on and I will follow up on these items to ensure that what you have noted has been addressed. I hope you were able to give us some feedback during your stay so that we could have worked to address the items.

Regardless, we will work on them now. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay but hope you will give us another opportunity should your travels bring you back to Annapolis.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Our daughter was celebrating her 12 birthday. She asked for a stay at Maryland Inn on account of ghost stories surrounding the hotel. We experienced average level of service, adequate but rather impersonal. We loved valet service, but otherwise we felt it was below our expectation. I am a Diamond member with Hilton and I am used to excellent and very professional service.
My expectations were not met at Maryland Inn, Annapolis.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear TravelerFr0mMaryland:

Thank you for your review and for your comments. I apologize that your visit with us for your daughter’s 12th birthday party was not as pleasant as I would have wished it to be. Our drive is to ensure each of our guests enjoy their stay and as a number of previous reviews indicate we have generally done well.

Regardless, my team and I recognize that each guest is an individual and each stay a new opportunity to do well. I appreciate you taking the time to write. We will do better.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

From the moment I arrived at the Calvert House my stay was wonderful. The front desk staff as well as the valet staff welcomed me. The room was very spacious with new television and the bathroom seemed to be updated with a bigger counter top. The ONLY downfall was I heard the television of the room next store in the morning as I was getting ready. Location is wonderful! Walking distance to so many wonderful things in historic Annapolis. Would recommend to anyone!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear Lauren M

Thank you for you comments about your recent stay with us. I am so glad to hear that our staff provided such a pleasant reception and service during the course of your stay. I am sorry that you encountered some noise issues.

We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you.

Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

You can almost touch the Statehouse! Pros; location and charm, Walt to Rams Head, the Dock or cute Starbucks,
Cons: tough to unload your car, expensive parking, rooms are small. No staff in some buildings. No breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank SRSvacation

Dear SRSvacation:

Thanks for the feedback on your stay; I am delighted you found our location to be excellent and appreciate the observations on other aspects of your stay. We would have been happy to unload your car for you and I absolutely agree some of our rooms are smaller, due in part to what you may have booked and to the historic nature of the hotel.

We work hard to list in several places on our website that we have 3 buildings with one front desk, and also disclose that there is a charge for parking; you will find that is part of being in beautiful downtown Annapolis.

We appreciate your feedback, and your patronage, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.