“so sad to leave...”

Historic Inns of Annapolis
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a birthday celebration weekend this pre-Christmas weekend. We stayed in a king room on the 4th floor of the Robert Johnson House. Lots of natural light filled our room. Our view of the water over the roof-tops of Annapolis was like a postcard. Our alternate view was of the beautiful state house directly across the street.
Extremely comfortable bed with about a million comfortable pillows.
We did not encounter any other guests at all over our 2 night stay. Needless to say, it was very quiet.
The temperature was slightly uneven; a little too hot when the heat kicked on, but a little drafty with some old windows.
We will absolutely return.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank djvdw
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2012

Dear Djvdw:

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Historic Inns this past weekend on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to read that you generated some great memories and enjoyed your stay with us. I’ll have our engineering team inspect the heat and windows in that room. It’s nice to know we did a good job for a Senior Reviewer. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed in a King sized suite at the Governor Calvert House over the Thanksgiving weekend and we loved our time there. The room was elegant, clean, and very comfortable. The front desk staff and valet services at the Governor's House were attentive and helpful. One of the best things about the House is it is beautifully located across from the State House and just around corner from an abundance of shopping and dining choices. We were able to leave our car with the valet and never felt the need to go anywhere else because everything was so close. We are looking forward to returning to the Governor's House.

Room Tip: When booking, ask for a room at the front of the house - these will give you a delightful view of th...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Dear Kimesd:

Thank you for the feedback you posted on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to read that you found the room to be clean and that our team was attentive and helpful. We appreciate your business, hope you have a great Holiday Season, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

The location was great, which ws the Governor Calvert's house in the State Circle. Everyone was very helpful and offered great recommendations for breakfast and helped transport our large group to our resturant. We stayed in the king size suite which was lovely. I was able to capture a photo of the sunrising over the water with my phone. Our wedding party stayed in the hotel with us as well. The double and queen size rooms were smaller. But for the price and location it was more than a fair market price. Because of the great downtown location we were able to go out and enjoy the Annapolis night life. We live in the area so it is nice to be able to pass by the hotel and reflect fondily on our memories made there.

Room Tip: Go for the best and stay in the king size suite. For a few bucks more you will have a better experi...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2012

Dear BandBFan4ever:
Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. Thank you for choosing us to stay with after your wedding. I was very pleased to read that you felt we provided a great value and that we will be a part of some great memories for you and your Spouse. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Thank you.

Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in Governor Calvert's house in a double room. Whilst the hotel is a historic inn, there are modern extensions and our room was in one of these, so if the character of the room is important to you then it is worth checking first.

Our rate included valet parking and breakfast, both of which were to the standard expected. The restaurant was not open for dinner as it was Thanksgiving day, but breakfast was excellent.

Annapolis is compact and the hotel is in the centre opposite the state Capitol.

Nice hotel with friendly staff, this is a solid choice.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Jacqueline J
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Dear Jacqueline J:

Thank you for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor. I was glad to read you enjoyed your stay, that our staff was friendly, and that you found breakfast to be excellent. As you so noted, our excellent location helped to make your stay more enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed our anniversary weekend at the Maryland Inn. The room and bathroom were both very clean, and the reproduction antiques add charm. Check-in and check-out were a breeze, and staff were helpful and prompt with all requests. Our package included breakfast at the Treaty of Paris, and those meals were superb. The location right off Church circle was convenient to the trolley, shops, restaurants, waterfront, and the Naval Academy.

Two nearby restaurants (just a block or so away) we highly recommend are the Piccolo Roma and the Cafe Normandie.

The reason I don't rate the property 5 stars were the following small inconveniences:

The bathroom of our queen room was tiny, which wouldn't have been an issue if there had been any shelf space. But the only wall shelf was full of supplies, tissue, rolled-up towels, etc.. The elegant pedestal sink, single hook on the back of the door and teensy tiny corner shelf inside the shower itself left no space to put any products other than the floor.

The towels and sheets were okay, above budget chain quality, but not by much. The mattress had a slight depression in the middle and clearly needs to be replaced.

OTOH, there were quite a few pillows on the bed, and the bedroom had several chairs, desk, plenty of hangers in the closet, luggage rack, large flatscreen TV and adjustable heat. And we had a great view of the capitol dome.

Despite the inconviences, I would stay there again, but I'd be sure to pack some over-the-door storage for toiletries, and maybe bring my own pillowcases.

Room Tip: Breakfast is served in the Treaty of Paris at the Maryland Inn, so I'd request a room there if p...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DebN860
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear Deb N:

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to read that you found the hotel to be very clean and that our service and quality of food was friendly and “superb.” We have heard the feedback on shelves in the bathrooms and have included those items in selected bathrooms for our 2013 capital plan.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Very nice clean and comfortable hotel in the literal heart of the capitol. The only inconvenience is parking. Best advice, park and walk everywhere.
A few nice perks are full size quality towels, big TVs, top flight linens and firm but very comfy mattresses.
Would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear PaoloStatiUnti:

Thank you for your feedback. I was delighted to read you found our hotel to be very nice and clean. As is the case with many of our guests I noted you felt our location was an asset to your stay. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

After reading all the reviews for this hotel I was excited to book it for our 10 year Anniversary weekend in Annapolis. I am very sorry to say that this was a very big let down. First, we arrived at around 3pm on Friday afternnoon only to have to drive around State circle for 20 minutes until there was enough room for us to park and give our keys to the valet. When we arrived in our room (In the Robert Johnson House) it was so hot that we could barely breathe. I tried to open the window but it was nailed shut. We realized that the A/C was not working and that it was blowing only very hot air into the room. I will say that once we called the front desk they were prompt in sending maintenance to investigate and fix the problem. While waiting for them I looked in the vents and the filters and the vents themselves were disgustingly filthy and the filter looked as if it hadn't been cleaned or changed in a very long time. The fan vent in the bathroom (which didn't work) was even more disgusting and full of what looked like mold. There was mold in the shower as well. I do not know where the rooms that are pictured on the website are because our room was extremely small and stuffy. (we booked a queen room and it was less than half the size of a normal hotel room I would guess) The second day while I was in the shower I found 2 bugs crawling up the shower curtain, and then found another one on the floor later on. No need to elaborate on that...gross.
The only positive thing I can say is that the location was fantastic and that is clearly what we paid for, because the room itself was no where near worth what we paid.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Laurie W
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear LaurieW:

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. Your experience is not typical of most of our guests and I apologize. I am appreciative that you took the time to write and let us know of these opportunities for improvement. I have shared your feedback with my Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer. We will discuss with our teams how we can pay better attention to our daily efforts and ensure that we are being diligent in less frequent but more in depth efforts of general cleaning and preventive maintenance.

We value the patronage of all our guests; should you ever have the need to visit Annapolis in the future I would be pleased to personally assist. Sincerely,