“Great comfort in a great location”

Historic Inns of Annapolis
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed in the Maryland Inn. Great location in a fantastic old red brick building. Just a short walk from the shops and restuarants of downtown annapolis. Little ways walk to the water. Short drive to the Naval Academy. Room was just a little bare. Lots of space though.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Dear Person333:

Thank you for your feedback. I was glad to read you enjoyed your stay at the Maryland Inn and found the location to be good for you. I was also glad to note that you found the cleanliness and other facets of your stay to be positive.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed there during graduation week. Our room was in the governor Calvert building. It was a bit confusing as there is more than one location but staff is more than helpful. Each room is different. It has the feel of a B&B without the creepy shared space. The rooms are beautiful in the historical sense. The valet parking is very convenient. The location is perfect. Everything is within walking distance: food, museums, the waterfront, etc. If we return, we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Dear Lebowski93:

Thank you for your comments posted above. I was glad to read that our team was very helpful to you, that you found the rooms to be “beautiful” and that you found our valet parking services to be convenient. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

If you like old inns, you can't go wrong here. We stayed at the Maryland Inn at the top of Main Street that leads straight down to the harbor with shops and restaurants along the way. It is a little walk to the water but this location is a great center of operations with proximity to the upper hill circles, the other two Inns and other sites with a simple mini market across the street and a CVS down the street to cover all of the bases. The staff is wonderful and the inns are clean. The rooms were great, again, considering the history of the building. The bathroom was modern with current tile and newer fixtures, very clean. The furniture was fine and the bedding current. Ok, the wall-to-wall carpeting was loose yet clean and this is be tolerated in moderation in places like this and thus did not detract from the stay at all. We will return in future visits to Annapolis.

Room Tip: If you can afford a suite, do it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Dear ScottS:

Thank you for your feedback. I was glad to read you found our location to be excellent, the staff “wonderful” and the Inns to be “clean.” I am delighted your enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Made reservations for the Historic Inns via Hotels.com. Had reserved the Maryland Inn, one of 3 properties under the Historic Inns Of Annapolis. Didnt see the sign at the Maryland Inn entrance- wasnt really looking for it, that the "Main Desk" was at the Calvert property. I asked a hotel employee I saw in the hotel, where or how to get to the Calvert House, he had no idea. Moved the car onto State Circle and finally found a shop keeper who knew where it was. On checking in, found out that my room had been changed to the Robert Johnson Inn, up the street. Decided to Valet my car for $24 a night instead of finding the free parking garage "somewhere". The room was very quaint, well appointed, secure, no open entrance, by key only since there is no front desk, CLEAN and comfortable. The location is superb, easy walk to the dock and market area, around the corner from Main Street with shops and restaurants and bars, plenty of bars- pubs. A few things, the clock had the incorrect time. I tried for 25 minutes to advance and correct the clock, could not do it. Managed to set the alarm time many times during the 25 minutes and change the station numerous times, but could not get the correct time. ANSWER, called for a wake up call. No problem. The A/C unit is loud, hummed all night, while it barely bothered me, my wife was upset by the "motor noise".
Now comes the fun part. Taking a shower. I have stayed at many different hotels, Inns, Motels over the years, i never had to call the front desk for help on turning on the shower. The faucet and regulator did not have a shower lever, turned the water on, turned the water off. On and off. played with the tub. Nothing, By pure accident, maybe frustration, I pulled on the faucet and on the end the shower gizmo the shower went on. Never came across anything like that before, Now I know. the question is, would I return to Historic Inns? If I were to return to Annapolis, I would return and request Robert Johnson Inn. The Maryland Inn looked old and tired and on the end of Main St. and although the Maryland Inn has a Starbucks, it is worth the walk around the corner for the quaint and clean and very private Robert Johnson Inn.

Room Tip: Call and reserve the hotel directly.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Dear itzaCamdenCity_NJ_USA

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize the clock radio was difficult to set; I will try it myself so we can figure out how to make it easier. I’m also sorry one of our employees couldn’t tell you where the check in was for the Maryland Inn; I will share that feedback with my team and we will work to do a better job. I am glad to read that you “persevered”  through a couple of challenges and had an overall enjoyable stay.

We appreciate your business and perhaps I will have a chance to meet you on your next visit to Annapolis.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

At first, the fact that there are three "seperate" Inns under the same name was a little confusing. To be clear, the Robert Johnson House, Calvert House and Maryland Inn are the three Inns of "the Historic Inns of Annapolis.

However, once you realize that they are they same place, and are within quick walking distance the charm and history of the Inns and the area quickly overtake the mild confusion! We stayed in the Maryland Inn, which is the building which also houses the restaurant, tavern and is above the local starbucks. It was absolutely lovely. Even though is is much smaller than something like a Marriott, it is wonderful! Clean and quaint it is a great place for a romantic get away.

The Inns are located right in the middle of anything you would probably want to see in the area, and the water is a short walk down the street. If you are going to visit the Naval Academy it is right there as well! There are wonderful art galleries, museums and shops within walking distance.

Overall, a really great experience.

2  Thank DrNo8909
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear DrNo8909:

Thank you for your feedback on your visit to the Historic Inns. I was delighted to read you found the Maryland Inn to be a clean and quaint getaway for your visit to Annapolis. We will continue to verbally inform our guests who may call and continue to update our email confirmations to help our guests understand the physical structure of the Historic Inns of Annapolis.

We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Three inns on an historical circle make for an interesting venture. Location is tops for walking adventures. Valet is the only way to go! Don't miss excavated floor and discovered artifacts as you register. We stayed at Robert Johnson house which is minimally colonial quaint. Right on the sidewalk so ask for upper story room. Nice.

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Dear GoneAgain02:

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you had a chance to visit each of our Inns and that you found your stay to be pleasant. Please visit Annapolis again; we would be delighted to welcome you back.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We went to Annapolis for the Naval Academy Induction. It is a fun, beautiful town and our stay at the Calvert House was great. We had a corner room so it was a spacious, quiet stay. I plan to return to the Calvert House every time I go to Annapolis to see my niece!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room or a room on the very top floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Dear Peachtravel:

Thank you for staying with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Governor Calvert House and that the room was spacious and quiet. We look forward to your next visit with your Niece and welcoming you back.