WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Annapolis

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Annapolis
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Great customer service overshadowed problems”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

We had several things happen during our stay that made it less than ideal, some within the hotel's control and others not. But with each incidence, the hotel staff very promptly acknowledged and tried their best to make it right. So here is what happened during our stay:
Incidents 1 & 2:
We called on our way to see if a double room had opened up and it had, which kept us from having to get a rollaway. Great! However, after check-in, we stumbled into our room after an 8 hour drive at midnight to find it smelling of deodorizer spray in an attempt to cover up smoke (in a non-smoking room). As I was contemplating whether or not this was a battle worth fighting, I started to put my bags down but saw a roach scurry across one of the beds! Not under the bed or around it, but on the bright white linens! I screamed loud enough that I probably woke up the occupants nearby. We immediately left the room and the manager on duty profusely apologized and put us in a King suite with a pullout sofa. We arrived to a bug-free room that smelled and looked very clean, until we pulled out the sofa bed. It was a very stained mattress and the only thing in the closet was a blanket and pillow. I went downstairs to get some linens, as there was no way my daughter was sleeping on that. The manager apologized again and gave me some clean sheets. Unfortunately, my daughter was paranoid of bugs for the rest of the visit. :(

Incident 3:
After using the in-room safe several times without problems, it suddenly refused to open and gave me an error code. My wallet, checkbook, and my daughter's medicine was inside. I called the manager and she immediately came up and worked on it. It worked for a few trials but then when we were ready to leave and tried to lock it, it stopped working again. I let the manager know again on our way out, but basically couldn't risk using it again during the visit.

Incident 4:
We returned home that night and as soon as we got off the elevators, we could smell smoke (which turned out to be marijuana). We were next door to the offenders. I talked to housekeeping and security the next morning and learned they were already aware and had tried to get into the room unsuccessfully. Basically the hallway near our room smelled of pot the rest of the stay.

All that being said, the housekeeping staff did a very good job cleaning our room, the managers were very responsive each time we had a problem, the (complimentary) breakfast was very good each morning, and the lobby was very nice with a beautiful aquarium. Without the responsiveness of the staff, I would have given them 2 or 3 stars. But the friendliness and attitude of the staff helped me forget the issues we had. Also, the bed was very comfortable and I got a good night's sleep each of the three nights we stayed. As a bonus, the hotel is located near some fabulous restaurants like The Melting Pot and PF Chang's.

Room Tip: Get on the second floor to avoid bugs? The King suite was very nice and spacious with a Jacuzzi tub...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Golfing_Girl076

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We found ourselves here at 4am after a poor experience with a nearby Baltimore hotel. Weary from a long day of travel, this hotel was a gem of a find.

The office staff are all incredibly friendly and helpful - the front desk felt so bad for our late travel and bad experience at the other hotel that we were upgraded to a King Suite. The room was clean and spacious and had all the amenities you know you will find at an HI Express.

The location is a true 5 - you're walking distance to several restaurants and minutes away from all of the amazing activities Annapolis has to offer. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2013
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

It's an older hotel and you can see the age, but the room was comfortable. The bathroom was tiny. We took a short walk past the graveyard behind the hotel to a very nice shopping and dining area, which was a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Venice, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed at this Holiday Inn because the price for the location was excellent. I was pleasantly surprised to find the facilities just perfect but it is the staff that I found most noteworthy. Ashley checked us in and was so hospitable I felt as if we were friends. I found the same quality in Jai who manned the front desk in the morning. Enjoy your stay. You can't go wrong!

• Stayed June 2013
pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Location was easy to find. Rooms were tiny, even by hotel room standards. Disappointed that the pancake maker was not working during our visit, I was looking forward to trying it. The breakfast was otherwise adequate and well stocked. Would have liked to see some fruit options other than bananas and my husband was disappointed to find the oatmeal packets over near the coffee after he had finished eating. Staff was pleasant. Elevator was out of commission but at check-in, they made an effort to get everybody on the first floor so it wasn't an issue. Rooms were clean and attractive and a definite value for the price. Very comfortable beds. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Oyster Bay, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

We booked rooms on what turned out to be a very busy weekend in Annapolis. The hotel was fine except for some problems with the WiFi. We kept getting network busy messages.
Free breakfast was fine. We were only 6 miles from the race site and about the same to downtown.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper get a room away from the highway.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
trenton, nj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

The Holiday Inn met all our needs -- it was centrally located, with a Towne Center next door and close to downtown; the room was spotless and comfortable; two types of pillows; nice amenities in a modern bathroom; flat screen TV; plentiful hot breakfast; helpful staff. My only complaint was the guests on our floor. The UCF women's rugby team was in the 3 rooms on our floor. They returned to their rooms at some wee hour of the morning and proceeded to be as loud and as foul as possible. I was shocked that student athletes were permitted to stay out until those hours and then that they represented their school and their sport in such a terrible manner. The hotel was sold out so nothing we could do. My advice would be to call ahead and see if the hotel has any such room block for your stay, and if yes, then stay away. To the Holiday Inn, I'd suggest that you put this kind of group as far away from your other guests as possible.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends