“Two Personalities”

Courtyard Annapolis
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I am struggling with this review, because there were a lot of positives to it. The people who work here from the front desk to the Cafe are really nice and personable. My room was very clean and well kept up. However, I was in the older part of the hotel and facing the parking lot. It had a balcony about 2 feet deep and it was dirty with a cigarette butt on it. No chairs out there as they would not fit. Room had a fridge which is a plus and you can but water, soda and snacks in the lobby.
When I say two personalities, there is nicer part of the hotel that had views of the courtyard and pool. The balconies had chairs and a table. I wish my room had been there. The hotel told me to ask for one of those rooms for my next visit.
Although the Cafe can get the job done for a quick dinner if you don't want to drive, there is nothing in the area that you can walk to. Again, not a real negative, just wanted to include it in my review if you don't have a rental car.
It was blistering hot when I was there so I did not even go out to the courtyard but it had a very nice seating area and pool.
I will definitely stay here again when I am traveling on business and ask for a room that faces the courtyard.
My last comment is that there is not a hotel shuttle. I took a cab from BWI and it was a horrible experience. Make sure you pull up your GPS to ensure the cab driver is not taking you the long way. Mine was very deceptive, he barely spoke English and was very argumentative when I spoke up as I realized what he was doing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the interior courtyard.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 143,143
Shenae M, General Manager at Courtyard Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Good Afternoon,

My staff and I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I hope that you will afford us the oppurtunity to serve you in the near future.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

The Marriott chain is usually our first choice, so I was a bit concerned about the previous posts about this hotel which generally stated that this property was aging and not up-to-date. But we decided to stay here based on the manager's comments to the posts indicated that the hotel had been recently refreshed/renovated. It certainly has been.

Because I post regularly on TripAdvisor, I went in with a discerning eye. Our room was spotless. Newly-painted, bedding was in perfect condition and carpets were clean. Aleah greeted us at the front desk and was so friendly and helpful. We requested a quiet room and she assured us that if we found the location too noisy to please give her a call and she'd find a quieter location. We never heard any sounds except for an inconsiderate guest who slammed their door at 7 am. I normally sleep with earplugs because of either outside noise or loud A/C, but I didn't need the earplugs this trip. Our room was on the first floor in the back of the building and it was a perfect location. No outside noise and the A/C was a steady hum. The king-sized bed, pillows and bedding were unbelievably comfortable. I woke up and told my husband that it was the best night of sleep I ever remember having at a hotel.

The pool was the perfect temperature for a very, very hot day. It was cool yet not cold. There were no towels when we first got there, but by the time we got out of the pool, a large bag of clean towels had arrived.

We chose not to eat breakfast at the hotel, but instead found a wonderful breakfast shop, Eggcellence, a short drive away. There are a lot of shopping centers in the area, so there are a lot of restaurants. The location is fantastic if you don't want to stay in the downtown, touristy area of Annapolis - and with that traffic there, I wouldn't want to. The hotel is convenient to the highway and right next to the great shopping area, Annapolis Towne Centre.

Overall, a comfortable stay. Clean, modern and updated hotel. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mom2Boys
Shenae M, General Manager at Courtyard Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

My staff and I greatly appreciate you adding your experience on Tripadvisor.
I cannot wait to share your kind words with the staff & celebrate a job well done!

Thank you again for the wonderful feedback!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed at this Courtyard for one night in June 2013 and thought it was pleasant and clean. It is a 10 minute car ride from Downtown Annapolis and not far from Mike's Crabhouse (which we could not get in to on a Saturday night). The staff is pleasant, bathroom clean, bed comfortable, and the room even has a sleep sofa in it. Best of all, the price is reasonable.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sgkroth

Thank you for your comments.

We are very fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor and I greatly appreciate you adding your experience. I cannot wait to share your kind words with the staff! Thank you again for the wonderful feedback!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed here for two nights (June 16-18) and want to extend our thanks to Allante (I;m sure the spelling is incorrect, sorry). Upon check-in I had asked for queen beds because my grandsons were with us. Not only did she honor my request, she was insightful enough to give us a room on the first floor, a few doors down from the pool. The pool was very clean, no chlorine smell, and a lifeguard on duty. Our room faced the courtyard which was great . Getting up in the morning or in the evening the "boys" were able to enjoy the outdoor space. There were a few tables in front of the pool area and a very nice sitting area where you can relax. The entire area was landscaped beautifully. Our room was very clean - and towels were not thin?? - (thanks housekeeping) and updated. We also had a small frig and coffee maker. The beds were very, very comfortable. I thought the lobby area was neat - tables and chairs and a small bar area facing the courtyard. A good common area. The small food court served Starbucks, sandwiches, salads and desserts. They also had beer and wine. We didn't eat here so I can't comment but I did like the set up. There are a couple of restaurants close by if you go behind the Courtyard. (Vietnamese, Crab and a hamburger place) The mall is close by as well with many restaurants. It's convenient to downtown, also. We stayed in a few other places in the area and I would definitely return here. If you have the pleasure of staying on the courtyard side, it's kinda like being away from the city :). As mentioned, everyone was helpful and pleasant. Thank you all for making our stay pleasant.

1  Thank kenko

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experirence on Tripadvisor.

We are very fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor!
I greatly appreciate you adding your experience. I had a chance to share your kind words with Allante & the staff! She was truly appreciative of your kind words. We took a moment to celebrate and reward her this week for a job well done.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed two nights at this Courtyard for business and had a meeting in their conference room space. Overall, the hotel was updated and efficient. The check in process was quick professional. The cafe and Starbucks was very clean and had a good selection of items.

Upon check-in I was upgraded to a junior suite (I'm a elite member). The room was large and had a mini-frig and microwave.

The meeting room was a nice size. What I missed was coffee and candy. In an 8 hour meeting it's nice to have the choice to get some from a coffee carafe during the session. From what I hear, Marriott has removed this as a choice to increase customers use of the Starbucks at the Cafe. Additionally, hotels typically provide a mix of hard candy. The non-name single type I found lacking.

Overall, I found it a good choice for my needs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second or third floor. Rooms on the 1st floor have direct access from the deck...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 3mantic
Shenae M, General Manager at Courtyard Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you for your comments.

I cannot wait to share your kind words with the staff!

Thank you again for the wonderful feedback!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights while my daughter was attending a camp at the Naval Academy. This is by far the worse Marriott property. It's old and dated--not well kept. The room was not very clean. Corners of floors and bathroom were grimey. The towels were literally see through--yup I checked--See through! So thread bare they wouldn't even rate as rags at my home. The plus side was everyone was very nice--however I'll stick to another property while in the area. I've stayed at the Doubletree and the SpringHill Suites in the last 3 mos...both were much nicer properties. Very disappointing for a Marriott property.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review on June 27, 2013.

I deeply regret the experience you had at my property and I offer my sincere apology.
After receiving your review, I have taken action to investigate the linen. Any linen that we found with issues will be replaced. In addition, we have completed our rooms renovation as of June to update the hotel. I hope that you accept my apology.

Please contact myself directly If I can be of more assistnace.

You can reach me at cy.bwian.gm@marriott.com

Sincerly,

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed only 1 night. The front desk was very quick and efficient. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The rooms, as usual, were very clean. Will always try and stay at a Marriott! Thank you for a pleasant
night stay!

2  Thank ny2pa
Shenae M, General Manager at Courtyard Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to rate my hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Annapolis and choose to stay with Courtyard by Marriott, Annapolis.

I hope that you will allow us to serve you in the future

Shenae Moulden