“Know what you are looking for”

Buddy's Crabs and Ribs
Ranked #89 of 351 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Denver, Colorado
“Know what you are looking for”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This was our 5th time at Buddy's and I think the key thing is to know what you are looking for....IF you are looking for great cuisine with ambience to match...keep looking. Buddy's is a no frills butcher-paper-on-the -table crab house. Food is good, service depends on the crowd, but if you are okay with this, you'll enjoy your meal. Have a beer, enjoy the view and you won't be disappointed.

Visited September 2013

• Korean first
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
“Worst food I have EVER eaten!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I went here on labor day weekend with my family because I saw a celebrity on tv who went their with his family and said it was amazing. BOY was he wrong...School was starting soon and I thought, "Hey, why not end summer with some delicious crabs!" But boy was I wrong. It is super crowded, first of all. Our waiter came over 3 times to get our order, serve the food, and get the check....He did not even check to see if the food was good and such. But that is NOT the worst part. The food was AWFUL. Here is the thing, I am a person who loves food, even food that most people think is bad. Our day was ruined because of this. The crabs were the driest thing you could imagine, it smells TERRIBLE, and it looks like 2 weeks old.

Do not waste your money here! I hope this place goes out of buisness. It is a disgrace to all restaurants.

As a person who eats at fastfood restauants once a year, I would rather eat McDonalds for the rest of my life then eat this garbage.

Oh yeah and best of all it is way overpriced. Great restaurant eh?

• Visited September 2013
West Bloomfield, Michigan
“skip the buffet”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The buffet sounded like a good idea because we were hungry but we were wrong. Selections were weak and much of the seafood choices were dried out. I would give kudos to the seafood chowder. It had good flavor and a bit of a kick. There are many more choices in Annapolis to choose from.

• Visited August 2013
Thompsonville, Michigan
“Most expensive lunch I've ever had . . . almost.”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were in Annapolis and wanted crab. I asked a gal at the Naval Academy Visitor’s Center where she’d suggest and it was Buddy’s. We were excited by the sign that said Lunch Buffet, but after looking at it before being seated we opted not to get it for the lack of seafood on it.

We knew this would be a splurge meal for us during our vacation, but it really added up fast! Our server was awesome. She had a great personality, taught my hubby how to eat a blue crab, and did a fantastic job. Five stars for her. The location was beautiful as it was upstairs close to the harbor with a view of the water.

She suggested the crab dip ($12), and it was and ooie, gooey treat! It came with the tiniest loaf of bread though to an ample helping of dip. She offered more bread, but it would cost a dollar – really?? Not her fault, but it felt like nickel diming the customer.

My crab cakes were very good; I’m glad I got two as one wouldn’t make a meal ($26). Big chunks of crab with very little filler. Nice sweet meat with a little heat from the seasoning. I spent extra to get hush puppies, but I couldn’t believe you had to pay extra for them compared to fries? They didn’t appear to be extra special by any means. The accompanying salad was also pretty blah. However, the homemade blackberry vinaigrette was a nice touch and made the ordinary salad, a little special.

My husband got one large blue crab to try ($8). It was fun to eat and had a good deal of meat on it. It was odd to us how it was served covered in course salt. Some of the bites were tainted by too much salt. As he didn’t think the crab by itself would make a meal (it would not; maybe 2 or 3 would), he ordered the seafood scampi ($22). It was flavorless. Seafood was sparse, tough, and a big disappointment.

Daughter got a bunch of fried seafood called the Schooner Rig that was our most expensive entrée ($29), but it had everything she wanted to try on it. It had a crab cake, some butterflied shrimp, sea clam strips, tilapia, and rock fish. She ate it all except the tilapia (she was stuffed by that point). She ordered fries with it, but they were never delivered. She was happy with it, but it was a pretty typical presentation of fried seafood.

My son ordered the calamari appetizer for his meal ($11). It wasn’t terribly hot and lost its temperature quickly. It was a good sized portion, but it was over cooked with way too many of the whole octopus instead of the calamari rings.

For the money we paid, I would have wanted to walk away saying it was awesome. It was just m’eh. Crab cakes were definitely worth it, but the rest of it was nothing special to a disappointment.

• Visited August 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“First stop eatery”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

we had a lunch time buffet. food was ok but selection was lacking for salads on the buffet line. Ribs were good and the view from the windows was the harbor which was great!

Visited August 2013