“Unreversed decline”

Tsunami - Annapolis
Reserve with OpenTable
Tsunami - Annapolis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #112 of 351 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cross street: Calvert/Cathedral
Annapolis, Maryland
“Unreversed decline”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

In our effort to give the place yet another chance (and our hope that it will pull up and be the delicious sushi place it once was), we did our every-six-months check-back at Tsunami. It's just as loud as ever (that will never change), and, unfortunately, the sushi was bad. Not just mediocre-- it was downright bad. We left 1/3 of 4 rolls-- unheard of. At one point during the meal I mentioned that it made supermarket sushi look good.
We started with avocado salads, which were, as always, very good (love that honey / peanut / miso dressing). Then came the sushi. We got three of their signature rolls (tsunami, dragon, kamikaze) and a crunchy roll. The tempura shrimp in the tsunami roll were soggy and tasted of ammonia-- ugh. (This had happened before, on a week night, when the waiter explained that since business was slow, it was probably made the day before-- not acceptable then, nor on the weekend night that was our last visit, when trade would have suggested fresher offerings). The kamikaze and dragon rolls were just blah-- none of the zip and exciting flavors that they once had. Only the crunchy roll (which was the one we expected least of) was at all acceptable. Did we send it back? No. Why? Because we had each eaten a piece of each roll before discussing it, and that was half the meal. We just left the rest (no questions by our waiter-- interesting). The service was fine, but we're giving up on giving them additional chances, when there are other sushi options in Annapolis that are great (Joss) and good (Matsu sushi on Cherry Grove-- good sushi but not much atmosphere). Don't waste your time and money at Tsunami.

• Visited March 2013

Claremont, California
“Better Than Joss”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I lived in Annapolis for 3 years and this was my go-to spot for sushi. We like Joss too, but it was always sooo packed since it is located on Main Street. Tsunami is on West Street, so the location is great, and it never seemed overly crowded or that diners were smushed up against each other (as it felt at Joss). The ambiance is sort-of moody and romantic, and the cocktails are wonderful. The sushi is really fresh and they have a nice selection on the menu.

Visited March 2012
Annapolis, Maryland, United States
“Our first-date place!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I'm a little biased because my husband and I met here for our first date, but I really liked it before, and love it now! Both their sushi and dinner menu are really good and consistent. I've been there many times for drinks, dinner, apps and/or late night, and have never been disappointed. The owners are really invested in our community and have a knack for achieving a great balance of food, price and cool factor. Try it!

Visited December 2012
“Awful Service detracts from Good food”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Yes, the food is pretty good but the service we received here was so bad I will never return, nor can I recommend it.

My wife and I dined here with friends for a post-Valentine's date. Reservations were easy to come by--that is probably telling in itself. We arrived early, and had a drink at the bar. For some reason, they were unwilling (or unable) to transfer our bar tap to our table, so we had to settle up before we were seated. This was not a big deal at the time, but in light of the rest of the night I think it points to serious customer service issues at Tsunami's.

After we were seated, we ordered drinks, and then a bit later some appetizers: Ahi Tuna Lolipops, which were rare tuna cubes on stakes with chili oil, and beef tataki. The tuna was very good, the tataki just ok.

Now is when the confusion starts. The special was a sea bass--none of us were interested in this. Two of us ordered salmon and two of us ordered sea scallops with a corn-crab salsa. However, when the food arrived, it was two sea bass dishes and two scallop dishes; the server had evidently pushed the wrong button. Ok, mistakes happen-but I've never been to a place where they ask "Do you want this instead?" Since the answer was no, we had to wait 10 minutes for the other dishes--by this time the other dishes were cold. The food was good despite this--although one of the salmon dishes was a little charred (I suppose they were rushing it).

After this, the server apparently gave up. We didn't see him for another 30 minutes or so. We ordered coffee and dessert. We were hoping to make a movie, but it took almost 10 minutes for the coffee to come out, and which was served lukewarm and was noticeably old without creamer. Ten minutes after this, the desserts started to show up, but only two were ready to we had to wait longer for the other two. They were large desserts: the chocolate napoleon was very good, although the chocolate torte and the creme brulee left something to be desired.

Finally, we got the check and settled up and left. I'm not sure if our experience was typical of this or if it were unusual, but I do not think I will be returning.

• Visited February 2013
Annapolis, Maryland
“Interesting Options”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Creative cuisine. Usually find something there I like. Music was too loud last time though and the manager didn't really try to assist, either by turning it down or moving us.

Visited October 2012