“I won't be going back”
Review of level

level
Reserve with OpenTable
level is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 357 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Calvert
Transit: Annapolis City Transit Bus Stop on corner of 69 West street & calvert street.
Description: Level is an award winning locally sourced small plates restaurant and cocktail bar. Our food is regional modern comfort food that is designed to be shared. We partner with local maryland farms to source our meats, seafoods, and produce. We ensure fresh, local, sustainable efforts in our kitchen and bar. We handcraft all our cocktails using fresh squeezed juices, house made mixers, tonics, sodas, and fine spirits. We invite you to Eat. Drink. Socialize!
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We visited Level on Dec 10 to celebrate my husband's birthday, We booked our reservation on Open Table on Dec 3.
We enjoyed the food very much, however we didn't enjoy being treated poorly by the hostess (Kristin) and the manager.
pros:
Our waitress was nice and attentive (I wish I could remember her name).
Food was very good. We had beet salad (average), Brussel sprouts (excellent), fries (very good), calamari (very good), Pulled shortrib flatbread (average), scallop and bacon flatbread (good).
cons:
Atmoshere. Very simple, sterile room. Not even a candle on the table.
We felt like we were insignificant in the eyes of management. Not a good feeling.
Details:
Our party of three was seated at a table adjacent to a big closet (covered by a curtain; we assume it was a closet). Since there were plenty of empty tables, I asked the hostess if we could sit by the window. There was an open table for four next to an open table for two. She said no because they needed both tables for a reserved party of six. As we were having our meal, we noticed that a party of four came in and 15 minutes later a party of two arrived so in fact there was no party of six. They never spoke to each other so it was obvious that they were not together. We were annoyed because we were lied to.

This situation could have been prevented by saying those tables were reserved. I realize someone has to sit at the awful table that butts up against the closet and although disappointing, it would not have ruined the night. But the misinformation and the reaction of the manager did ruin our night and thus my bad rating. When I mentioned our feelings to the manager, he copped an attitude that reeked of poor customer service. Instead of saying he was sorry it happened (or some measure of understanding), he started defending his hostess! I told him I thought he might want to know about our perspective of the evening and that I would be including my feelings on tripadvisor. He then went on to say that people write things that are not true on tripadvisor, yelp, etc. That may be true, but it has nothing to do with me or the situation I was speaking to him about. You can read my reviews (88 as of this writing) and know that I have never written about a dismissive manager before. I get it - things go wrong sometimes and patrons cannot pick and choose seating. I was hoping that by speaking to the manager, he would acknowledge that a mistake had been made. Instead, the manager made me feel that they were doing us a favor by allowing us to eat there. Never again. There are plenty of good restaurants in the area. I'll stick to El Toro Bravo across the street. Or one of the many other wonderful restaurants in Annapolis.

4  Thank iliketotravel123

Reviewed December 19, 2013

A friend and I decided to stop in before a show this week and what a surprise! Interesting menu selections, friendly atmosphere and all around yummy. Bison sliders were quite tasty, the lamb chops are to die for if you're a lamb lover, amazing garlic fries and a great take on Brussel sprouts. Definitely worth a try. I'll be back the next time I'm in town.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

My spouse and I dined at Level Small Plates Lounge for dinner in late October 2013. We made our reservation online using the Open Table reservation system (although they do NOT award points for actually dining there). When we arrived at the restaurant, the hostess had a problem locating our reservation, but she was still able to seat us despite the restaurant being very crowded on a Friday night. (As it turns out, another party with the same first name as one of our first names was seated under our reservation, so when we checked in, it appeared that our reservation was already seated.) No one from this restaurant called to reconfirm our reservation, which surprised us.
The restaurant covers two floors – the ground/first floor contains tables spread throughout two rooms, one of which contains a bar and semi-open kitchen. Steps lead to the upper floor, where there are additional tables. Tables in the main room near the bar (where we sat) are fairly close together, but there is a good buzz in the atmosphere so that you do not feel as if someone is eavesdropping on you.

Small plates is the concept of the restaurant, and our waiter recommended ordering 3 to 4 plates per person. We settled on 6 plates total. We tried a roasted beet and carrot salad (not enough flavor in the bland buttermilk dressing), sweetbreads with tomatillos (this was a special dish of the evening; we would have preferred that the two large sweetbreads were quartered instead), scallops with potato and bacon (fantastic!), pork ragout with unusual strozzaperti pasta (delicious!), Korean BBQ open-faced duck tacos (a bit spicy), shrimp and grits (too spicy for us). We had planned to order dessert, but service was so terrible by the end of our meal that we did not want to waste any more time. We waited approximately 15 minutes after we finished our last course until someone came to remove the plate, or to fill our empty water glasses, or even to offer to refill our empty alcoholic beverage glasses (which would have earned them more money). Many staff (including food runners and table bussers), as well as our own waiter, continued to pass our table yet not look our way. It was an unfortunate ending to what might have otherwise been a good meal.

Because we liked the atmosphere and the food, we might give it another try, with hopes for better service on our next visit.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

I highly, highly, recommend dining at level. We started with Gimlets (think Margarita w/o salt),and Cuban pork spring rolls. The pork in the rolls melted in our mouths, and the dipping sauce was perfect (not sweet, not too spicy). The Gimlet had a yummy lime foam on the top. I had the scallops and bacon - perfectly cooked scallops with just the right amount of bacon to add flavor and not over-power the flavor of the scallops. My spouse had the shrimp and grits - he won't stop talking about them. Layers of flavor, best ever.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

The hostesses were very helpful in keeping our surprise birthday plans for my sister's BD. The food was great, the drinks good, and a great time was had by all !