“Wonderful Weekend Away”

Westin Annapolis
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 5, 2009

My wife and I wanted to plan a trip to get out of DC and settled on Annapolis. We looked for hotels and I made a bid on Priceline for a 3.5 star hotel at $115 and ended up with a room at the Westin. I was not so happy at first when I realized that the hotel was not in the immediate downtown harbor area but I was SO happy it wasn't. The Westin is brand new and located at a new commercial and condo development in Annapolis. There is a Morton's Steak House located in the hotel as well as several other restaurants right outside. We are talking a one minute walk for an Irish Pub and an Italian Restaurant. The hotel has a shuttle that will take you downtown but my wife and I opted to drive ourselves since parking in Annapolis is easy. Parking is in an hourly garage which is $1.75 an hour with a $10 a day maximum. This is typical for the city. Since I wanted to make the weekend special I called the concierge at the hotel to inquire about getting a room with a king bed and the concierge on duty, Katie Cohn (whose name I may have mispelled) was extremely helpful. She put us in a room on the top floor with a king size bed and had room service bring in a bottle chiller with ice into the room. She also recommended several restaurants which we enjoyed. The hotel has a small indoor pool and a fitness room. The equipment in the fitness center was in great shape with Precor Cardio machines that include TVs in the display. The hotel has wireless internet but there is a fee. You can also go down to the business center which has two computers with internet for free.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to EVERYONE! The staff is helpful and our stay was outstanding.

There are newer reviews for Westin Annapolis

Reviewed July 27, 2009

Overall this is a nice hotel, but not worth the price. Service was fine. I have read earlier reviews that complained about the service, but I didn't have any problems. Asked for a up-to-date room service menu and additional towels and received both promptly. However a meal for two (hamburger, fries, salad, and a personal-sized pizza) costs over $40. Breakfast wasn't any cheaper. Ended up bringing donuts for our second morning. And at $250 a night I expect an in-room refrigerator and a microwave. The room had a mini-bar fridge, but it was locked and you had to get the key from the desk. It didn't keep our drinks very cold so we had to add Ziplock baggies of ice to it. Not only that, but you have to pay for parking! Either pony up for the $23/day valet parking, or up to $10/day self-parking. Another thing is it is too far from the Annapolis attractions. You either have to walk 30 minutes or drive (and repay for parking). Bed and double showerhead was nice; and there's no way to open a window, so no chance of fresh air. Had a pool, but was only 3ft 6in deep, good for kids I guess.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2009

I stayed at the Westin with my fiance for his birthday. I received a great deal using Hotwire (60% savings) and ended up with a great room. The hotel is fabulous, very modern and extremely clean. The only negatives I can mention were our noisy neighbors in the adjoining room. We called the front desk, and they promptly sent someone to quiet them down. Also, we were on the second floor above some sort of mechanical system, so we would hear a loud bang periodically. A bit disturbing when trying to sleep, but not enough to wake you. Overall, a great stay!!

Reviewed July 19, 2009

This is a new hotel in the Westin chain. The room was large, had a good work area and the staff excellent.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2009

Visited Westin Annapolis from 9-12 July w/ my wife for a quick getaway w/out the kids. Hotel is the farthest hotel of those nearby (Loew's and Callaghan's). Walk into town down West Street was about 15 minutes. Area was a little dicey late at night - walked past a methadone clinic and some deserted store fronts. During the day though its a nice walk - West street is the main entrance into downtown Annapolis so traffic is very heavy. Eventually you hit a renovated area - plenty of restaurants - we at at Lemongrass - wonderful thai restaurant - 10 min walk; El toro bravo - Mexican - just ok. Couple of sushi places and other restaurants on your way into town. Shuttle van though would take you to your location and pick you up when you called for a ride. Very convenient and efficient. We didn't drive our vehicle until we left to return home.

Facilities: Nice lobby, easy parking ($10/day, no in/out privileges), SPG check-in area, coffee shop, lounge/restaurant and Morton's Steakhouse entrance inside the lobby. In the complex is a nice Italian restaurant (Carpacio) that has an excellent take-out area - after one day of touring in the heat we ended up ordering dinner. I walked across the driveway and came back w/ a really excellent meal. Also, Fado's - an Irish chain restaurant is in the same complex. We used the fitness center - one elliptical, two bikes, 6 treadmills, nautilus and free weights. Large screen tv and tvs on the treadmills and elliptical. Pool is really small and the room (basement) is a bit claustrophobic. Glass wall on the fitness center and you are watching those in the pool. Lifeguard there during open hours.

Staff were very competent, professional and helpful. Shuttle driver gave us advice on restaurants, dropped us at the door, even took us to a restaurant that the concierge says the shuttle does not visit.

Room: Nice room, asked for king bed, but our late arrival we had a choice of king bed in a handicap accessible room, or two double beds in a regular room on the SPG floor. Chose the 2 double bed room - very nice AC, great flat screen that swiveled around the room, only one chair, besides the desk chair. Nice to have a mini safe to store the electronics. Closet had ample space - plus a light. Little table w/ a lamp near the door to keep your glasses, keys, etc near the door. Mini fridge was locked - had to order stuff before they would open the fridge. We considered buying a juice just to have access to the fridge to store our water/etc. Seems a bit petty that we would be charged for the use of a fridge that is already on and in our room. Same goes w/ the internet access - only free in the lobby/lounge and $10/day in the room. Bureau had 3 drawers to store clothing and the unusable fridge. Desk had a task light and a power strip that popped out of the desk. Bathroom had odd lighting - very bright, but good for my wife to use for make-up. Nice shower w/ a double-head shower head. Amenities were nice, but instead of a soap bar, you received a bottle of shower soap wash, but this w/out a loofa sponge was not very useful.

Only negatives: fee for wi-fi; fee for fridge; shower soap; lobby store was a bit meager (no sodas, water, magazines, etc), especially when there is are no drug stores nearby - closet is a CVS drugstore in the middle of downtown Annapolis.

Overall, wonderful place. Would stay there again. Though the decor doesn't have anything of Annapolis or Chesapeake, the facility is efficient, professional and well managed. I prefer this then a themed hotel.

2  Thank TravelerofNJ
Reviewed June 29, 2009

My husband and I wanted a quick overnight stay in historic Annapolis. We wanted to be near the water, see a little history and enjoy the calm and comfort that the city has to offer. We booked a room at a fair rate and proceeded on our way. Upon entering the Westin the facility was sleek and clean but had no reminents of Annapolis. I kept saying to myself I bet you pick this hotel up and put it in anytown USA. From my opinion this hotel didn't offer you any spectacular local experience. If it wasn't for the Landmarks book on the desk and the fact that we drove by the Naval Academy who would have known we were here. We frequently travel to Annapolis, the Eastern Shore etc and half of the greatness of places like this is that they aren't as commercialized as their generic city counterparts. This hotel just didn't fit. Annapolis is rich in history and culture and the Westin seems to have missed the memo regarding this. On the plus side I liked the light in the closet. On the down side the walls were super thin. We were awaken by a talkative/crying/screaming child at 5am and this persisted until 830am. Also on the down side it took us forever to get our car. The phone just rang and rang and when someone did answer we were told the valet we really busy BUT when we went to check out there was no one waiting and the valet didn't appear rushed at all...
Overall average. No need to go back. Clearly if you've seen one Westin you've seen them all.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Nice hotel with very nice accomodations and facilities. Not a lot of maps or self serve assistance, which I prefer. Have to pay to park which is a little tough but fairly affordable and easy to do.

Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business