“Great Facilities on the Outskirts of Annapolis” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westin Annapolis

Westin Annapolis
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great Facilities on the Outskirts of Annapolis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

Visited Westin Annapolis from 9-12 July w/ my wife for a quick getaway w/out the kids. Hotel is the farthest hotel of those nearby (Loew's and Callaghan's). Walk into town down West Street was about 15 minutes. Area was a little dicey late at night - walked past a methadone clinic and some deserted store fronts. During the day though its a nice walk - West street is the main entrance into downtown Annapolis so traffic is very heavy. Eventually you hit a renovated area - plenty of restaurants - we at at Lemongrass - wonderful thai restaurant - 10 min walk; El toro bravo - Mexican - just ok. Couple of sushi places and other restaurants on your way into town. Shuttle van though would take you to your location and pick you up when you called for a ride. Very convenient and efficient. We didn't drive our vehicle until we left to return home.

Facilities: Nice lobby, easy parking ($10/day, no in/out privileges), SPG check-in area, coffee shop, lounge/restaurant and Morton's Steakhouse entrance inside the lobby. In the complex is a nice Italian restaurant (Carpacio) that has an excellent take-out area - after one day of touring in the heat we ended up ordering dinner. I walked across the driveway and came back w/ a really excellent meal. Also, Fado's - an Irish chain restaurant is in the same complex. We used the fitness center - one elliptical, two bikes, 6 treadmills, nautilus and free weights. Large screen tv and tvs on the treadmills and elliptical. Pool is really small and the room (basement) is a bit claustrophobic. Glass wall on the fitness center and you are watching those in the pool. Lifeguard there during open hours.

Staff were very competent, professional and helpful. Shuttle driver gave us advice on restaurants, dropped us at the door, even took us to a restaurant that the concierge says the shuttle does not visit.

Room: Nice room, asked for king bed, but our late arrival we had a choice of king bed in a handicap accessible room, or two double beds in a regular room on the SPG floor. Chose the 2 double bed room - very nice AC, great flat screen that swiveled around the room, only one chair, besides the desk chair. Nice to have a mini safe to store the electronics. Closet had ample space - plus a light. Little table w/ a lamp near the door to keep your glasses, keys, etc near the door. Mini fridge was locked - had to order stuff before they would open the fridge. We considered buying a juice just to have access to the fridge to store our water/etc. Seems a bit petty that we would be charged for the use of a fridge that is already on and in our room. Same goes w/ the internet access - only free in the lobby/lounge and $10/day in the room. Bureau had 3 drawers to store clothing and the unusable fridge. Desk had a task light and a power strip that popped out of the desk. Bathroom had odd lighting - very bright, but good for my wife to use for make-up. Nice shower w/ a double-head shower head. Amenities were nice, but instead of a soap bar, you received a bottle of shower soap wash, but this w/out a loofa sponge was not very useful.

Only negatives: fee for wi-fi; fee for fridge; shower soap; lobby store was a bit meager (no sodas, water, magazines, etc), especially when there is are no drug stores nearby - closet is a CVS drugstore in the middle of downtown Annapolis.

Overall, wonderful place. Would stay there again. Though the decor doesn't have anything of Annapolis or Chesapeake, the facility is efficient, professional and well managed. I prefer this then a themed hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelerofNJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Bowie, MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2009

My husband and I wanted a quick overnight stay in historic Annapolis. We wanted to be near the water, see a little history and enjoy the calm and comfort that the city has to offer. We booked a room at a fair rate and proceeded on our way. Upon entering the Westin the facility was sleek and clean but had no reminents of Annapolis. I kept saying to myself I bet you pick this hotel up and put it in anytown USA. From my opinion this hotel didn't offer you any spectacular local experience. If it wasn't for the Landmarks book on the desk and the fact that we drove by the Naval Academy who would have known we were here. We frequently travel to Annapolis, the Eastern Shore etc and half of the greatness of places like this is that they aren't as commercialized as their generic city counterparts. This hotel just didn't fit. Annapolis is rich in history and culture and the Westin seems to have missed the memo regarding this. On the plus side I liked the light in the closet. On the down side the walls were super thin. We were awaken by a talkative/crying/screaming child at 5am and this persisted until 830am. Also on the down side it took us forever to get our car. The phone just rang and rang and when someone did answer we were told the valet we really busy BUT when we went to check out there was no one waiting and the valet didn't appear rushed at all...
Overall average. No need to go back. Clearly if you've seen one Westin you've seen them all.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Orlando FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2009

Nice hotel with very nice accomodations and facilities. Not a lot of maps or self serve assistance, which I prefer. Have to pay to park which is a little tough but fairly affordable and easy to do.

Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2009

The moment we walked into our room, we were greeted with a subtle light fresh scent, their signature scent of White Tea products (I love their shampoo, lotion and soap). The chic rooms were luxuriously decorated with grey/taupe colors. The Heavenly beds combined with an array of plump pillows always make staying at the Westin a treat...guaranteed good night sleep!

Also appreciated the Starbucks brand coffee we brewed in our own room.

It was a bit further away from the historical part of town than we preferred, but we easily drove and found parking in town.
Which brings up the parking at the Westin....it's expensive. The choices - $22 for valet parking or $1.25 an hour self park, without in and out priviledges.. We chose to drop off our luggage and park across the street for free (street parking is only 2 hours - 8p.m.-6p.m., but we used the car during the day and only parked in the evening).

We planned to stay at the Westin regardless, but I happen to find a exceptional rate through Hotwire. Westin's rate was about $195.....Hotwire gave me a rate of $81 (it showed a 4 star hotel with Tripadvisor rating, I concluded it must be the Westin, which revealed to be correct). Can't beat that!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank brisfam
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2009

I recently stayed at the Westin Annapolis for a conference, with an extended vacation tagged on, and had a marvelous stay! The Westin exceeded all my expectations, and I would rate it the best hotel in Annapolis. And definitely a nicer option than the Loews down the street, which looks like it's in need of a major renovation. The Westin is only two years old and is located in the upscale Park Place residential and entertainment complex on West St.

Pros:
1) Staff and service - everyone I met was extremely courteous and helpful, especially the valet boys. I was even able to check in early in the morning when I first arrived to the hotel, instead of waiting until the afternoon that is customary of most hotels. The housekeeping and "Express Service" staff was also top-notch, and I received prompt service within minutes of my request.
2) The room was relatively large and included all standard Westin amenities: flat-screen TV, safe, iron and board, etc. The beds were also the trademark Heavenly beds and were very comfortable. The bathroom was quite large, modern and clean, too. The only thing I would add to the room would probably be a lounge chair/chaise.
3) Location - although the Westin is a little further out on West St than other hotels, it's still only a 15 minute walk to the historic district and dock. Plus, there are a ton of great restaurants nearby, including two inside the hotel, as well as the Varuna (Aveda) Spa located across the plaza from the Westin. An added bonus is the free shuttle run by the Westin valet that takes guests into the historic district and Naval Academy area, so if you don't feel like walking, the shuttle is only a phone call away.

Cons:
1) Parking - there are two options for parking: valet and self-park. The valet ran about $22/night, while the self-park was $1.25/hour maxing out at $10/night, so I went with the self-park. However, there are no in-out privileges, so you have to take a new ticket every time you enter the garage!
2) Lack of concierge - surprisingly, there is no real concierge at the Westin. Instead, many of the staff members take turns acting as the concierge. While they tried to be as helpful as possible, many were new, and I had much better luck acting as my own concierge by using the internet.
3) Internet - this is a gripe I have with most high-end hotels. Stop charging for internet! It's free in the lobby, restaurant and lounge, so there is no way I'm going to pay $10/day just to use it in my room!

Overall, I would definitely recommend the Westin Annapolis! The staff really made the trip. And if I visit Annapolis again in the future, this is definitely where I will stay!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank worldtraveler786
richmond, va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2009

This is a beautiful hotel, our room was very nice and I love that they have bicycles for the guest. It is a bit of a hike to the water front and they do run a shuttle but it only goes to the waterfron and we wanted to go to the Eastport yacht club. The bar area was nice and relaxing. There are nice restaurants surrounding the hotel including a Starbucks which suited me well for breakfast. My first choice for the boat show would be Lowes, hoever, this place was very nice also/

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank susan822
Arlington,VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

My wife and I stayed here on a Saturday during Memorial Day weekend. The hotel staff was very friendly and the hotel was very clean. The shuttle service the offer excellent. The staff for the most part was very helpful.

Only issue was with what I would consider room service. My wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and I had asked for a bottle of champagne and strawberries to be in the room when we arrived. I delayed the arrival so that it would give the staff time to put this in our room at the right time. Needless to say the champagne and strawberries never arrived, even when I asked for them to bring them later in the night when we were out to dinner.

Overall though this hotel was the right coach in my opinion. As I said overall the staff was extremely helpful and the hotel was very clean.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple