“Good choice for tourist trip”
Review of Westin Annapolis

Westin Annapolis
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in April 2012 and we had never been to Annapolis. We didn't have a car but that was no problem; there is a free shuttle bus that takes you to downtown Annapolis. You can walk in to town from the hotel but the shuttle bus was ideal. The hotel is modern, friendly, with large rooms and good facilities. There are local restaurants nearby if you don't want to go downtown. We would be happy to go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Westin Annapolis

Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is a very nice hotel and pet friendly! They do a great job of accommodating travelers with dogs, which is much appreciated. We had a terrific new year's eve stay here. The rooms are modern and comfortable with great beds. The bathroom nice, with the classic Westin double shower head for a great shower. I didn't try the breakfast food since we had other plans, but they were accommodating at the buffet, bringing us each a nice personal pot of coffee at our table. Friends gave high marks to the bloody marys.
While I do prefer to be on the water, this is hard in Annapolis and the Westin makes up for it by being the first/last stop for the free trolley-shuttle bus that runs down Maine Street to Ego Alley.

This was a busy night for the hotel, but the service was responsive and excellent. Our room overlooked the Historic cemetery, which was peaceful & kind of fun. It was easy to take the dog out for a walk. Self-parking is a value at $10. The bar has a pleasant double-sided fireplace & is well situated. It's a very good, well-priced, nice hotel - especially for dog owners.

Room Tip: I liked the back side, overlooking the cemetery. The offers that include breakfast are an especiall...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Priesing1, General Manager at Westin Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear nkdp
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are extremely pleased that we met your expectations and we look forward to being your host again in the very near future! Please know that we work very hard to ensure that every stay at our hotel is memorable.
Again, thank you for your response and please know that we value your business and we look forward to being of service to you in the very near future.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

My wife and I took my little brother to visit the Naval Academy, and stayed at the Westin. The hotel architecture was very modern traditional, and the rooms were nice and clean. A very special extra feature to our trip, was that the hotel offered shuttle service to town. This saved us from having to drive anywhere, and gave us the freedom to really enjoy ourselves.The only thing I was a little shocked at, was that the hotel did not offer complimentary breakfast. All in all, this was a very nice hotel, and we would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Westin in Annapolis for 1 night (Jan. 20-Jan. 21):

Hotel: Beautiful, new, and modern. It is located within a lifestyle community (restaurants, apartments, offices, etc...).

Location: About a 25 minute walk into the downtown area. While the walk is a bit far, there is a free trolley that literatly stops right outside the hotel.

Room: We stayed in room 209. It was very well appointed, clean, and modern. Bed was great. Shower was great. HD Flat screen TV was great to watch the football games.

Pet Friendly: This is a pet friendly hotel. This was the first hotel that I have ever found that was both nice and pet friendly. My wife and I loved traveling with our dog, Rocky (40 lb. mix lab)

Staff: I didn't deal with the staff that often but check in and check out was superb. They were very nice and helpful.

Overall great place!!!

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms are pet friendly, but the view isn't that great.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John A
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I gave the hotel 4 stars since this is a hotel review. However, the food service or lack thereof certainly influenced our 2 day stay. I seriously considered a 3 star rating.
The hotel: The room was warm, inviting, clean, fairly priced and quite quiet. The shower was fabulous! The hotel is outside of downtown by about a mile but there are 2 free conveyances to take you there. There are a couple of okay restaurants across the street. In nice weather, the walk to downtown would be easy and interesting.
The food service: The main restaurant wasn't open yet. The bar and 'cafe' portion were available - so to speak. The service ranged from non-existent to confused to surly especially in the bar. After a day of walking and sightseeing, we really wanted a drink at the bar. We sat down and waited, and waited and waited. Finally, my husband went up and asked for drinks from the bar tender. She was just standing there looking at people. It took way too long to get our order, but it did eventually come....with no napkins, apologies or smile. The next day we were waited on but definitely got the impression that it was a great imposition. At the cafe, confusion ruled. The food however was good and the chef very friendly.
Hopefully, this hotel can get a good restaurant manager and elevate the the food service portion to match the hotel.

Room Tip: Top floor is best. It's a 6 story hotel.
2  Thank madaddie
Priesing1, General Manager at Westin Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear madaddie
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience and observtions. We are extremely pleased that we met your expectations in most regards and we look forward to being your host again in the very near future! Your comments indicate that you had an issue with the restaurant and bar for which I sincerely apologize. I have forwarded your comments to our Food and Beverage Director who is certain to take the corrective steps needed to improve in this area.
Regards

Reviewed January 3, 2013

First off, Kudos to the staff for handling an impossible situation with class and grace. We checked in on the night of 12/20 when there was a blackout for a bout 3 hours. The staff recognized we had spent the last 8 hours traveling and just wanted to get in bed. They checked us in by candlelight and had to follow us up to the room to let us in. They went above and beyond and I highly commend them for their hard work.

Great rooms,great location, pet friendly!!, The trolley was a great way to get downtown for some bar hopping and restaurant tasting. This is one of the best Westin properties I've stayed in and I'm familiar with their fees. However, I have to dock a star for this location as the fees just pile up and make the value a little less than five star. Overall, I'd stay here again with no problem, knowing I'll be paying $40-$50 more than the nightly room rat.e

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Priesing1, General Manager at Westin Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Dear topherashley
Thank You for taking the time to review the Westin Annapolis. We are very happy that we met most of your expectations and were able to get you to your room during the blackout. It is very unusual for the hotel to lose it's power. In the past we were one of the few businesses which did not lose power during a weather event.

Again, Thank you for staying at the Westin. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

My boyfriend surprised me with an overnight trip to Annapolis for the 2013 New Year. The Westin was conveniently situated on the way into town, a few blocks from the true downtown. It was on a corner in front of a traffic circle, semi-attached to high end condos and across the street from a cemetery. The hotel was striking as we pulled up, clearly new, with the front facade curved around a circular drive. Valets await, or you can keep driving around the building for convenient access to daily parking, inexpensive at $10/day. From there, we took the elevator up to the hotel, and were greeted with short check-in lines and a friendly concierge. Check in was quick and painless. The lobby was beautifully decorated for the holidays, and the lounge area was bustling. The room itself was chic and spotless. Our view was of an empty lot across the street, but we made last minute reservations for a major holiday, so we were lucky to get a room. The bathroom was modern and sleek, with a black granite sinktop and a double showerhead. The shower felt great. I thought the "Heavenly" bed was comfortable, though my boyfriend didn't agree. My only complaint about the room is that the desk and bedside table lamps have convenient outlets built into their bases, for phone and camera chargers I presume, but they didn't really work, which was disappointing.
The staff was helpful and friendly. My boyfriend grabbed a drink downstairs while I got ready for dinner, and the bartender let him know about the New Year's fireworks over the harbor. On the way back in from dinner, we asked one of the check-in agents to take our photo, and they happily obliged. Ditto the next morning, we asked a valet to take our photo in front of the hotel, and he was very nice about it.
The local free trolley does stop outside the hotel, and my boyfriend and I took that downtown, so even though the location is a few blocks from downtown, the trolley gives quick, free access from the hotel. Had it been warmer, I would've enjoyed the walk.
Spotless, chic, friendly and great value at $167 for New Year's Eve!

Room Tip: Only five floors, so go for the fifth if you can, and ask to face the front of hotel or the traffic...

Dear kem232
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience and observations. We are extremely pleased that we met your expectations and we look forward to being your host again in the very near future! Please know that we work very hard to ensure that every stay at our hotel is memorable.