“Sushi Didn't Live Up to Word of Mouth :(”

Joss Cafe & Sushi Bar
Ranked #47 of 357 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed July 22, 2009

I have been to this restaurant three times. The first two times I had never eaten the raw fish sushi, only the vegetarian sushi, which was great here. The first two times I also got the shrimp terriyaki, which was excellent. I hadn't been there in a couple years - I am now a loyal fan of Tsunami, up the street. Someone recently raved about the sushi at Joss's and said that it was better than Tsunami, so my friend (also a Tsunami regular) and I decided to give it a try now that I eat the raw fish sushi. We were greatly disappointed. First of all, the restaurant is very small and crammed and does not take reservations. We were there around 8 on a Friday night, so we waited outside for about 45 minutes. The appetizer we got was fantastic - it was an avocado with raw tuna inside, drizzled with a creamy wasabi sauce. We ordered four sushi rolls - spicy tuna, one with crab, one with smoked salmon, and a shrimp tempura. All the rolls were bland except the one with smoked salmon - EVEN THE SPICY TUNA roll! We had to ask for a side of the creamy wasabi sauce we enjoyed from the appetizer so that we could dip all the rolls in it b/c they were SO bland. We put ginger on all of them, which we typically do not do. The only one I enjoyed was the one with smoked tuna, which had a marbelized wrap - that looked pretty cool and tasted okay compared to the rest. I think the flavor of the smoked salmon salvaged it. We were so disappointed. Needless to say if we're going to Annapolis for sushi, we will not be straying from Tsunami.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Fantastic sushi.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed June 11, 2009

This restaurant gave us all food poisoning (everyone in our group got sick). When asked, they stated that it wasn't their fault, all their food is clean. We've been going to Tsunami on West St and have never looked back.

Reviewed June 2, 2009

This tiny restaurant is always busy and there's a reason-- the sushi is great. The selection of offerings is wide and wonderful. No reservations, but with Main Street to wander if you don't want to crowd the ramp, it's worth the wait.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook