“Better Than Expected”

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Annapolis
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Reviewed April 25, 2010

We stayed the Springhill Suites in Annapolis and I must admit it exceeded our expectations. The hotel is very well maintained and the staff at check-in was professional and courteous. The room was spacious, separate sitting area, small kitchenette. Breakfast in the morning was very nice, eggs, sausage, yogurt, muffins. I would definitely recommend this property to anyone staying in Annapolis.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites by Marriott Annapolis

Reviewed April 5, 2010

This hotel seems to be rather new - simple, contemporary decor, nice amounts of natural light in common areas, etc. Rooms have sitting area with additional sofa, flat screen tv, sink, fridge, microwave, etc. Everything was clean, staff was courteous and came quickly when there was a problem with the toilet flushing. Workout room is about average for a hotel, with 24 hour access, and the same is true of the business room (2 computers, printers, staplers, paper clips, etc.). Free breakfast was typical, but staff kept it well stocked and tidy. Market area where you can buy snacks 24 hours. Absolutely no complaints. Best thing is the location - easy highway access, plenty of shopping/restaurants nearby, easy to get to downtown Annapolis, but the hotel itself is secluded in a business park so it's quiet, with plenty of parking.

This is not a special hotel - it is very typical for family/business travel, it is not trying to be luxurious or anything, but it does what it does well.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2010

This hotel is very nice. It is clean and has the modern style that hotels have been adopting over the past few years. I liked the candy at the check-in counter.

We paid $120 plus tax for a two queen "suite" with a pull-out bed, which was more than we were paying for comparable (and in one case, far superior) accommodations on the rest of our trip. It was also slightly higher than other hotels that had decent reviews on Tripadvisor, but we were willing to pay extra based on the rave reviews here. I wouldn't say we were blown away, but it was very nice.

I agree with an earlier reviewer that the attempt to make this a "suite" (just a wall separator) with a separate sitting area and "kitchen" (microwave, small fridge, and a sink) results in an awkward room, and creates a somewhat claustrophobic effect where the beds are. The layout might really work well for some people, however. I definitely don't prefer the toilet/shower "room" being separate from the sink. I do like how they use the washable duvet instead of an (let's face it) unwashed bedspread and think this feature might become one of my top priorities in future hotels.

One big disappointment was the pool hours, which are very restrictive. I assumed, correctly, that this is because a lifeguard is required (by Maryland law?). The pool is my kids' favorite part of the trip, and it's a great chance for us parents to relax, so I usually make sure the hotel has one. Most hotels have been greatly expanding their hotel pool hours in recent years. This one closed at 8:00 on the Sunday we were there and didn't open until the evening after we left the next day.

Another reason I don't like having lifeguards at hotel pools is that it's usually just some bored teenager awkwardly sitting there while we're trying to relax and have a good time. HOWEVER, the gentleman who was the lifeguard at this pool was so laid back and friendly (he gave us goggles to use, turned the spa on for us, etc.) that, as much as I hate to admit it, I was really happy to have him there, especially when I started to read the newspaper and was able to forget about my kids. The pool itself was very nice. It's the pretty standard small indoor size, and the hot tub was the perfect temperature.

The breakfast dining area seemed small, but we had no problem with it since it was not busy when we were there in March. The breakfast bar was very well maintained and I believe I saw the manager overseeing it. I did not like the television droning on for 24 hours, including during breakfast. Give it a rest.

Other than the excellent lifeguard, we didn't have many dealings with the staff, which I wouldn't describe as being overly enthusiastic. I think I'm getting spoiled because I had just been to a Holiday Inn Express in Wilmington-Newark, DE, and also Busch Gardens, VA, where everyone went out of their way to greet you, ask how everything is, etc. Believe me, it's not something I'd like to do in my job either, but this treating-the-customer-like-royalty is just another small thing that pays off in big ways and it's something consumers get used to and wonder about when it's missing.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 19, 2010

Very nice space in these "suites". It was great to have microwave and mini-fridge. Extremely clean, pleasant accomodations. Every staff member I dealt with was professional. There was a couple of inches of snow on cars in the morning and the front desk had scrapers/brushes available if your rental company had not provided them in your car. Extremely good value. You can tell the management cares about the guests.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 27, 2009

While planning our last-minute wedding my husband and I chose Marriott SpringHill Suites in Annapolis for our overnight accommodations. We had a large group of family members arriving from surrounding states, and wanted to make sure we could all be together in a comfortable atmosphere. SpringHill Suites treated us with respect and kindness, and took care of our every need. We got married during a blizzard, and many people were stranded at the hotel. They always provide a free breakfast (which is very good - lots of choices) but because of the storm they also provided the hotel guests with lunch and dinner brought in during the storm! They were unbelievable! They have a roomy area off the lobby with comfy chairs, tables, a big screen t.v. and cozy fireplace. We spent a lot of time there socializing with the family. This room is also where the breakfast buffet is served. Steve (GM) and Mike (another manager) were totally accessible and extremely accommodating. It seemed like one or the other was there 24 hours a day! The remainder of the staff (housekeeping, desk, etc.) were very courteous and helpful, also. We asked, and they provided! We had a large group so we got a great deal on the rooms, which were very clean and large enough for comfort. We had a walk-in closet in ours (the king suite with whirlpool which was VERY nice!) Did I mention we got married in the conference room?

We were extremely impressed with the professionalism as well as the personal treatment we were afforded. The staff (especially Steve) were very friendly and did everything they could to make sure we were comfortable and happy! We noticed that the hotel has awards for customer service. Believe me, they are well-deserved! When we were all leaving after the blizzard they made sure we were plowed out and provided shovels, assistance, etc. Above and beyond the call of duty! Thanks to Steve, Mike, and the entire staff for a wonderful experience during a stressful time!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 15, 2009

could hear the conversations of the people in the rooms next too us. walls were too thin.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2009

My fiance and I stayed here for the night when we visited the Boat Show. We wanted to have a whirlpool room because he has been having some back problems and I thought it might be nice to have some relaxation.

We were told that there was a shuttle that would take us to the local boat show (which was a reason for our decision to stay at this hotel and I think the shuttle might have been a boat show only offering) that would leave at 3:40. We were in the lobby at 3:35, waited until 3:45 and asked one of the ladies at the front desk about the shuttle. She said that it must be running late, then we found out that it was already gone. Since the shuttle only runs once an hour (or two) we complained and she arranged for us to have a cab ride. Marriott paid for the cab ride, but we lost time, had to complain and pay a tip. We also did not know where the shuttle would pick up to take people back to the hotel since we didn't take it down to the dock, so we had to take a cab back to the hotel as well, at our own expense. So the whole shuttle benefit was nearly worthless.
We also booked a whirlpool suite, one of the jets was not working (on the side where the faucet is not sticking into your back). Since it is a whirlpool, there are not many jets, (not a jacuzzi so every jet matters!) and there was a light bulb out in the room. The conditioner is also the worst I have ever used, so bring your own if you can.
I did not bring my laptop because we were only going to be staying for one night and I figured that I would be able to quickly use one of the desktop computers in the business center. Both the computers were not working and were not fixed while I was there.

The breakfast was ok, the eggs were powdered, but the waffles were good and so were the blueberry muffins!

The hotel was very clean, it smelled nice, the bed was pretty comfortable and the 1/4 wine and beer prices were pretty good ($3.00 each).

I might stay here again, but I would keep my options open. A clean hotel is always important and this is a very clean hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ilovechris4eva
Smerch112030, General Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2009

Dear Guest, I apologize for the problems you encountered at our hotel. We did have an issue with the company we hired to run our shuttle. I will be issuing you a credit to reimburse you for the cab ride that you paid for. I am pleased that you recognized that our hotel was very clean we have won awards for our cleanliness. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to accommodate you te next time you are in the Annapolis area.