“Did the trick”

Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Brooklyn, New York
“Did the trick”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed here for one night on a Living Social deal (excellent value). Really wanted to see Annapolis for the first time (despite living so close in the Greater DC area for the last 5 years) so I pounced. The property is about an easy 10 minute drive from historic downtown Annapolis, so if you stay here you should plan on having to drive everywhere and park.

First impression was a very clean, very modern property. Reminded me of a newer and more modern version of most of the Hampton Inns I've stayed at. That's a good thing, as I've yet to have a bad stay at a Hampton.

The desk clerk was friendly and efficient and was able to check us in early (at noon). A large wedding party was also checking in to this hotel (and filled most of the rooms). Unfortunately, they were quite noisy when they returned to the hotel in the wee hours of the morning but that's not the hotel's fault. First impression of the room was that it was clean and modern. Best analogous hotel is a Hyatt Place -- room isn't much larger than a standard hotel room but has a half divider wall in the middle between the bed and a little living area, which has a microwave, fridge, and an extra sink. Only design quibble with the room is that it's difficult to adjust the TV as far as it needs to go for comfortable viewing in the area where they placed the seats. Minor issue.

The one major issue we had (which resulted in the loss of a star) was the AC unit. Like many hotels of this ilk, they have a large unit under the window near the bed. This thing was NOISY, and awoke my fiancee multiple times during the night when it would kick in. It sounded like a chain saw revving when it started up. I also note that it was connected to a digital thermostat on the wall, which is nice, except the temperature was way off. It was utterly freezing (and I like a cold room) until we put it up to around 75, which was way off. Anything that disturbs our sleep loses a hotel at least one star, so there we go.

The complimentary breakfast the next morning was very similar to what you'd expect at a Hampton Inn. They had some hot options (eggs / sausage from a can) and a waffle maker which was a really nice tough. Everything else was similar, the coffee was nice and strong.

In summary:

Rooms are very similar to a Hyatt Place with different design details.

Hotel itself is very similar to a Hampton Inn with different design details.

I recommend this property and would stay at another SpringHill Suites in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DaveM1985

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Korean first
Colorado
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I didn't know what to expect in this property, but was pleasantly surprised. Room needed a bit of repair to be perfect, but overall OK. Bed was comfortable. Room was clean. Towels were a bit thin. PTAC was a little noisy, but an opened window helped that. Breakfast was OK.

Room Tip: I had 233 at the end of the second floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 23, 2012

On a recent stay to the Annapolis area, I stayed at Springhill Suites. I had researched numerous hotels in the area and settled on Springhill Suites. I am so glad I did. The hotel was wonderful. First off, it was unbelievably quite. Not only from outside noise but, inside (adjoining rooms) as well. Second, every aspect of the entire hotel was spotless. From the common areas to the individual rooms, especially the bathrooms. Third, it offered an excellent breakfast with a wide variety of items. If you can't leave the hotel with a belly full in the morning, it is your own fault. The only drawback was the rooms were kinda on the small size. We had a 2 queen/sitting area for myself and my 17 year-old son. It was tight for the two of us. I don't know how a family of four or more could make it. The only thing is we visited DC all day, each day so we only had to deal with it in the morning and for bed so, it worked. I would DEFINITELY stay here again if I was in the area. It was close to US 50 and in 15 minutes you could be at the New Carrolton Metro station for the ride into DC. It is also close to I-97 to Baltimore. It was only about 15 miles from BWI so it was in a perfect location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Brewers1982
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I booked a room at the SpringHill Suites last minute since I had to leave my apartment in Baltimore because the building ran out of water and air conditioning. My stay was overwhelmigly pleasant. The hotel is small but has all the amenities you need. There is free breakfast in the morning, where you can even make yourself waffles. There is a little convenient snack store right by the conceirge desk with cold drinks. The staff is welcoming and extremely helpful and polite. My room was by far one of the CLEANEST and most comfortable rooms I have stayed in. There was a small fridge and kitchenette area, a wonderful living space and the bed was heaven to sleep in. I was so impressed. It was so relaxing that I decided to stay another night. I will definitely stay here again when I return to Annapolis.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be the same.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Smerch112030, General Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Annapolis, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for writng a review about our hotel, I am pleased that you had a great stay and hope you will come back again soon.
Delaware
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and really liked it. The room was clean (the bathroom was really clean--that's one of my requirements for any hotel), water pressure in the shower is great, and comfortable, seemed soundproofed really well... never heard a door slam or running above us or anything like that. All the decor was updated and the wifi was pretty good! :) The air conditioning was great and very responsive to us adjusting it. The closets had enough hangers for my husband and I both--even though I used all of them. :-P

The breakfast was good and plentiful--although the eggs were the consistency of jello. Everything else was awesome--I especially enjoyed the fruit, the coffee (not bad!), and the Yoplait Greek yogurt every morning. The front desk staff was really helpful when we wanted to go touring--giving us a map and letting us know what was open at the time we were going. We left our car in the lot the first day we got there and asked the front desk to call us a cab--took about 10 minutes to get down by the water to the restaurants!

Would definitely stay here again--the accomodations were great!

Room Tip: There is a shopping plaza about a mile or two down the road--shopping and some cool restaurants (P.F...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MagMagoo
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We enjoyed our 3-night stay at this hotel. It was our base as we toured Annapolis. It was roomy for two people. I used the microwave a couple of times, though just to reheat my coffee. We appreciated the coin laundry because we were on a two-week vacation. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PalmTree49
Springfield, Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2012

But I'll try. I have stayed here twice with my girlfriend and we always get the King Suite with the whirlpool. You are only 5 - 10 minutes away from downtown Annapolis and the pricing is excellent. You'd be paying double for less at the Waterfront Marriot. There is a little market in the lobby that has the necessities which is very convenient. I have never used the pool or hot tub but they are there too. The room's are spacious and nice with everything in working order. The beds are to die for. I wanted to stuff it in the trunk and take it with me at the end of the trip. For those who go with the whirlpool room, you will not be disappointed. In fact, I'd go as far to say that it's a must. Nothing beats a long day of walking along the streets and harbor of Annapolis like soaking in the whirlpool with a glass of wine. The staff is very friendly and courteous, and I'm sure if I ever encountered an issue they would resolved it A.S.A.P. The breakfast is the morning is good, but nothing to write home about. In closing, I would rate this as the best hotel I've stayed in at it's price point.

Room Tip: Put in a little more money and get the whirlpool suite. It's worth it.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jesse H
Smerch112030, General Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Annapolis, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
I really appreciate the glowing review and and do hope you will be back again soon!