“Perfect every time ”
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 368 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: American, Swiss
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: There's just something about a fondue pot that invites conversation. Invites laughter. Invites coming together. At The Melting Pot Restaurant, we offer a dining experience like no other. A unique, interactive dining experience creating memorable moments with family and friends. From the time the first piece of bread is dipped and the last piece of dessert is savored, you'll be graced with the time to discover new things about people you thought you knew. And, those you're getting to know. We are the premier fondue restaurant where guests can enjoy a choice of fondue cooking styles and a variety of unique entrees, salads and indulgent desserts. It's up to you. Tailor your visit with a four-course dining experience including cheese fondue, salad, entree and dessert. Or, come by for fondue cheese paired with that perfect glass of wine from our extensive selection. That's not to say, we haven't had more than a few stop by to satisfy that chocolate craving after a movie. Whether you're celebrating romance, a birthday or anniversary - or just a night out while the babysitter is in charge - we offer something truly unique. An opportunity to interact and connect while experiencing all fondue has to offer. We look forward to your visit.
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

No matter how many times they rework the menu it does not matter this place is always a great place to go. We celebrate our 16th anniversary (probably our 5th at this location) a little late and could not even make it through the four courses because there is so much to food to enjoy.

Wife and I were so full off the fiesta cheese, salad and steak lovers/pacific rim entrees that we had to take our cookies and cream/ marshmallow dream home.

Great location right if the highway. They stay busy so recommend you make a reservation but even if you walk up they will find a way to get you in.

ChrisDavis311, Manager at The Melting Pot, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2015

Dear Ddb2422,

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete a survey for our restaurant. We rely on candid feedback to improve and grow as a business. I wanted to apologize on the lengthy delay of a response, but my name is Chris Davis and I have recently taken ownership of our tripadvisor page. I just wanted to let you know that I personally really appreciate your support and positive review. I am happy to hear that we still offer a very filling four course meal, and you were very smart to bring your chocolate home with you. If you are ever in the need of satisfying your fondue fix without feeling like you need to unbutton your pants, stop by for our happy hour. From Sunday-Friday from open until 7pm, you can receive half priced cheese and chocolate while seated in the bar area. Its a great way to get a smaller amount of food at a smaller price! Win-Win! I look forward to seeing you again soon, and should you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to contact us directly at (410)-266-8004, a Manager will be on the premises from 12 noon daily.

Fonduely,
Chris Davis
Manager

Reviewed January 6, 2014

My husband and I dined at the Melting Pot Annapolis for my birthday this past Saturday evening. It was the first time for either of us at any sort of fondue restaurant. Overall I was very impressed with everything. There were some things that I was a little disappointed about, and the mostly concern the service more so than the food.

Recommendations:
- Highly recommend the 4 course experience if its your first time. Its certainly worth every penny. My husband and I dined for $100 on the dot, including all four courses and a cocktail.
- All food is served raw, so make sure you leave the food in the pot for a few minutes before eating it (including vegetables). The bread was the only thing that we could just "dip", and still the bread was a little cold if we didn't leave it in there for a bit.
- It can be hard to decide which type of cooking style to pair with the different kinds of meats. I'd recommend asking your server. The cooking style is still more like a broth that is infused with the flavor. For instance, I didn't think the lobster would be good in the Coq au vain, but was pleasantly surprised. We got the French Quarter and the Fondue Delight.
- Favorite Meats: Filet, Terriaki Sirloin, Lobster, and Duck. Beware that the French quarter has quite a bit of spicy seasoning.
- Desert is a must, even if you don't get the 4 course. Any type of chocolate is included, we opted for the Smores. The rice crispy treats in the chocolate fondue will change your life! Our favorite. And the chocolate is flambe-id right in front of you.

Tips: Ask for extra fondue skewers. They only serve you two initially with your meal, which means you can only cook two pieces of meat at a time. So you wait 2 minutes, eat two bites, wait two more minutes, etc. Multiple skewers let you cook more at a time and have more of a normal "meal".

It would be nice if the restaurant served sides that were already prepared rather than just raw potatoes, broccoli and mushrooms. I know the experience is about cooking your food, but the meal becomes very disjointed, and you end up eating everything separately minutes apart from each other.

Negatives:
- It was my birthday, and we told the waiter we drove over 2 hours to this restaurant to celebrate. They did nothing special. No one came out to sing, no special happy birthday incentives, nothing. I was very disappointed.
- We both got the 4 course inclusive meal, and we were told the chocolate course was included in the price. However after looking at the receipt after we had left, we noticed we were charged $7.95 per person for the chocolate course. This was in error. We had already left and the place was closed by the time we realized. We kind of felt shafted, or at least taken advantage of because it was our first time. This, combined with the lack of birthday incentives is why I rated this a 4 instead of 5 stars.

Hey there Alasassy!

Sorry it has taken us a bit to respond to your review, but my name is Chris and I recently took over the ownership of our Tripadvisor account. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to complete a survey for us, any candid feedback for us is always greatly appreciated. Thank for detailing many menu items for those who have not yet dined at a Melting Pot, you gave an eloquent description of what the 4 course experience is like. I also wanted to take the time to apologize for the lack of enthusiasm aroudn your special celebration. Although under our corporate guidelines our servers are not permitted to sing at tables, If given the chance, I would love to show you that we do appreciate your consideration for selecting us as your special occasion destination. Since your last visit, we have fixed the pricing issue you experienced with the Chocolate fondue pricing, so that issue will never have to be endured again. Thank you for your support and insight on your time with us, and I do look forward to seeing you again soon.

Fonduely,

Chris Davis
Manager

Reviewed November 18, 2013

The Melting Pot concept is nothing new and I am a bit surprised by some of the bad reviews that I read here. The prices are clearly labeled on their online menu. It is very easy to figure out how much you are going to spend when dining here, if nothing else, at least a ballpark figure. It is fondue. Yes, you cook it yourself. That is what fondue is.

To me, part of what you are paying for is the experience. Do I think it is overpriced? Maybe.

We go to Melting Pot once a year or so. It is just not a place that we choose to visit more than that. We always enjoy ourselves and this last visit was no exception.

I do have a problem with the service, but I have resigned myself to the fact that is never going to change. In order for the servers to make their money, they are going to try and turn over the table as fast as they can. Especially on busy Friday or Saturday night. So, unless you force them to pace the meal to your liking, your salads (if you order them) are going to show up while you are having your cheese fondue. Not too long after you finish with the cheese, they are going to bring out the cooking liquid with the entree not too far behind. And dessert will follow closely behind that. To avoid that happening to us, we don't order our salads until we are just about done with the cheese, and then the next course, etc. I don't care if the server doesn't like it. I am not there for him (or her).

On our last visit, we had the Wisconsin Trio cheese fondue, a meat/seafood entree, and the flaming turtle chocolate fondue for dessert. Everything was just as expected. I really like the various sauces they serve to go along with the various meats, seafood and vegetables.

I didn't care too much for our server, Eric. I felt he repeated himself too much and I don't personally care for all the personal banter. I have no problem with a friendly server, but I also think it can go too far. But, if that is what the management wants them to do, then that is what they are going to do.

On our previous visits, I have always seen a manager or one of the owners walking around, checking on guests. On this visit, neither were to be found.

You can expect to spend at least $50 per person here, depending on what you eat and what you choose to drink, or how much you choose to drink.

Overall, a good experience.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

It was my wife's 30th birthday and I wanted to take her somewhere nice, she settled on the Melting Pot. I asked for a private table, which was a corner booth that was very cramped. I couldn't sit next to my wife because the booth was a half circle divided into three sections - it was awkward wanting to be closer to my wife but our legs and the angle prevented us from getting closer. I ordered a vase with some flowers and a birthday balloon for an extra $40 which I thought was overpriced should have been $25.

We did the normal 4-course meal, my favorite part was the cheese and meat at the beginning. Salad was pretty good, the meat course was also good but due to the cramped table and all of the plates, skewers, etc in front of us, we kept running into each other or having to wait for the other person to finish cooking. The cramped booth really detracted from what could have been a much nicer meal, especially when it costs over $200 for the meal + a bottle of $30 champagne and two $7 cocktails with tip. Our waiter was ok, I kinda thought he was annoying saying the same phrases over and over with a forced smile.

Given all the hype I expected much more. I would come back, but only for cheese and wine during happy hour when its cheaper - the full experience just isn't worth the money to me at all. I'd rather go to Ruth's Chris or Fogo de Chao if I'm going to drop this much money.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Not returning to this place because of the awful service & complete lack of value. We were out to celebrate my daughter's birthday on Friday night, 9/27. Was recommended to go here based on a friend’s recommendation and since none of us had never been to Melting Pot before, we were really excited to try it out. However, it was not at all what we expected.

First, the service was absolutely DREADFUL. Server "James d" was very full of himself and unprofessional, took the first 5 minutes bragging about how much he knew about everything to do with cooking fondue, and how great looking he thought his beard was. Was very “in our face” about wanting us to spend a lot of money that night, because that was how he “made his money.” Thought this was strange to act this, but we tried to roll with the punches and be flexible to his odd sense of humor & behavior. Immediately after asking if we’d ever been there before (which this was our first time dining at Melting Pot), the server took a condescending tone and proceeded to provide us a 10-minute mumbled lecture (which my family couldn’t hear nor understand), treating my family and I like we were "dumb newbies", leaving us feeling very uncomfortable and unwelcome. Treated us as if we knew him personally and that we were supposed to be getting his tasteless jokes, acted offended when we didn't. After dealing with the unprofessionalism and the cocky attitude, we got drinks and were rushed to place orders, with the server showing his disgust by throwing his arms to his sides when we didn’t have all of our orders figured out yet. After finally getting the initial order of cheese fondue, drinks, and salads, the server disappeared often for 20-30 minutes at a time. At one point, we sat there with empty drink glasses for at least 20 mins. He finally got around to refilling drinks and then subsequently forgot to come back with them, having to remind him multiple times. Finally got them with our entrees, which were mostly Land & Sea combinations of steak, shrimp, and chicken. Also mentioned the birthday occasion specifically to the server, "James d", who said a brief "Congrats", and left it at that, doing nothing special to further recognize the event, whether it be even a simple staff singing of Happy Birthday, some special dessert provided, or something memorable from the Melting Pot. Needless to say, “James d” didn’t live up to the high reputation he asserted about himself. Made me wonder how poorly the experience was going for the other tables this server was assigned to.

Secondly, regarding food, the value left a lot to be desired. Paid $350 for a group of 7, received about $100 worth of food value. Best parts were the cheese fondue (appetizer) and chocolate fondue (dessert). Salads were very small, and were completely drenched in the salad dressing for the few pieces of soggy lettuce in each bowl. No carrots, cucumbers, and just a few tiny pieces of tomato. Like most restaurants, I would hope that the salad dressing would be placed in a small cup on the side, rather than it being applied by the restaurant. For entrees, we each ordered an individual choice, with a number of them being Land & Sea combinations, which consist of steak, chicken, & shrimp. For the $35/entree, we received very little food, with just a few pieces of each. Chicken flavoring also wasn’t very good. For $350 on the total bill, I would expect to be walking out with some sort of leftovers. Instead, we left empty-handed and very disappointed.

In summary, this service was the worst that I or any of my family members have ever experienced at any restaurant in our entire lives. “James d” was so bad at his job that if I were his manager, he would have been fired immediately on the spot, and then I would have comped the entire meal for providing such bad service. Had a manager actually come by to see how the experience was, and if not for fear of a cocky server like this messing with our food for complaining, we would have spoken up immediately. The amount of money spent on the meal ($350 for a party of 7) should have been a truly exemplary experience… instead, it was by far the worst I’ve ever had. I can assure you that we’re a very easy to please family, and I was very surprised at how poor things went with this meal. After dealing with this experience, I would NOT recommend going to the Melting Pot under ANY circumstances, and would recommend going to a much nicer restaurant locally like the Chop House, where they treat like you royalty and cater to your every consideration.

1  Thank NEG19

Been to The Melting Pot? Share your experiences!