“Excellent food for a family dinner to celebrate a birthday”

Les Folies Brasserie
Reserve with OpenTable
Les Folies Brasserie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 358 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Arris T Allen Blvd.
Transit: MTA bus stop
Reviewed July 2, 2013

In mid June, 2013, we reserved the party room for a dinner to celebrate my father's 95th birthday. Fourteen of us ages 3 years to 95 gathered and had a delicious meal. We all ordered off the regular menu and everyone had a wonderful meal. The mushroom soup was really good as was my soft shell crab. Others loved their French onion soup, steak, Coq au Vin, dark chocolate cake with raspberry sauce.
The wait staff was patient with the small children and flexible in allowing them to order plain pasta and other food better for children and not on the regular menu. There was no children's menu.
I made a few calls ahead of time with Laurence, a very nice helpful woman who handles special events. She was not there the evening of the party, but our waitress and her helpers did a good job handling such a wide age span although the service was a bit slow. It was understandable though since with several people in their nineties and a few toddlers, there were some unusual requests.
The bill was quite reasonable considering the number of people spending a long evening eating. We all had a grand time.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We visited here on a Monday night and the car park was busy: always a great sign. The menu was true to France and complimented by good French wine. They have sourced fine Provincial wine and they are reasonably priced. I had escargots and then the filet mignon followed by the soufflé (the latter requires ordering 45 mins before you eat it). The food was excellent and so to was the wine. The service was friendly and attentive.

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

I have just finished the brunch. I found the escargots really salty. For the main course I had the eaggs benedict and found it strange to be served qith a salad and french fries. One egg was cooked fine the other had runny egg whites. Came to 35 bucks with the tip. Creme bruele was a little thick and a little salty.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

My wife and I went to Les Folies for a celebratory dinner this past weekend after riding bikes on Kent Island. We showered, put on business casual clothes and pulled into an empty parking lot for a 6:45 pm reservation. By 7:00 it was reasonably filled.

We looked through Tripadvisor for suggestions and selected this restaurant because of the favorable reviews and our love of French cooking. We went there despite some reviews saying that the food was uninspired.

Well, we liked it! My wife started out with Potato and Leek soup and loved it. It had good texture and just a hint of bacon. I had the Gaspacho because I was parched and thought that cold soup would be good. It was. Oftentimes gazpacho is acidic. This wasn't, and they added fresh vegetables of your choosing at the table. Really good.

We then split an arugula, beet and bleu cheese salad - which they separated into two individual plates with a nice presentation. For entrees my wife had the Dover Sole (which they fileted at the table) and I had the bouilabaisse. Both were excellent. My wife raved about the sole, and loved what they did with the carrots (cumin, I think). My bouilibaisse was filling and a little salty, but I loved it having biked 35 miles in 90 degree heat. Crepes for desert and a good cup of decaf.

I have eaten at many french restaurants over the years -- Balthazar in New York, one or two in Montreal, most of the french restaurants in the DC area, and a few in Paris and Belgium. I get the point that french cooking can be an art form -- Balthazar taught me so much about how short ribs can be a HEAVENLY dish and Bistro Francais in DC's skirt steak is an experience. And, we used to make a dinner out of the desserts at Cafe Larouche. Sort of like -- "how did they do that?" with such inferior cuts of beef. But, even though our meal was not artful, it was still very good.

The wait staff was very attentive and the decor is interesting: a mix of elegance and commericalism. I thought that if this place was in Montreal, you would find it appropriately "foreign." Here, in Annapolis, I felt "transported."

Prices are high -- bouilibaisse was $30 and the Dover Sole $38. Half bottle of wine $20. But coffee was only $2.75. We were disappointed that they did not have silver tequilla, and they were out of some of their wine selections.

We noticed that the place attracted an older crowd and folks who were celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Everyone was a little dressed up (so were we) and it added to the charm of the place.

All in all, it was good!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Les Folies Brasserie was a delightful find on a recent trip to Annapolis, MD. We arrived without a reservation and were seated immediately. This was a surprise as it was graduation weekend in the city. This doesn't mean the restaurant wasn't busy; there was a steady flow at all tables within sight. The service was very attentive and genuine, not intrusive. Food was very good, especially the bouillabaisse. I recommend the restaurant for its atmosphere, food and service when looking for an elegant setting at a reasonable price. Within walking distance to several hotels on Riva Road.

1  Thank JTrunner