“Nice afternoon at Cantler's”

Cantler's Riverside Inn
Ranked #10 of 356 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Cantler's has a lovely location overlooking the water. There was a 40 minute wait or so but we got drinks by the bar and went to the beach down below to watch the crabs getting sorted which was cool.

We ordered 6 medium crabs which came out quickly and were seasoned pretty well. One was a little over-steamed and our waitress was nice enough not to charge us.

We also ordered the fried green tomatoes- highly recommend!

Overall- food was good, location was quiet and beautiful and service was attentive. Would happily recommend.

There are newer reviews for Cantler's Riverside Inn

Reviewed September 5, 2013

My daughter and I were experiencing a good lunch over Labor Day weekend, being from New England were learning the ways of eating crab and having fun with it. It was until a very rude man put his arm and I phone in the middle of our lunch snapped a picture of my daughter and said..I have got to get a picture of this a total novice. We told the waitress who seemed very concerned and said she would tell her manager, but after her quick and abrupt drop of the check we knew he must have been a friend of the management nothing was done. It is too bad " people like this feels it is their place to ruin a memory and management felt there was no reason to apology or check into it." If anyone is in New England eating a lobster for the first time, we will help you not embarass you.

1  Thank CBR01085
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great experience to eat fresh Maryland Blue Crabs, fresh from the local area. Not a great restaurant if your need soemone to hold your hand and crack the carbs for you, or if you are looking for fancy souroundings, this is not the place.

Great crabs, cold beer and good company.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Cantler's is just the right place to be in a summer afternoon. Its location by the water gives you a sense of freshness. We arrived at past 4PM on Labor Day with the perfect weather. The place was packed. We ate outside. The second order of crabs the crabs were not as large as the first one. The shrimp and calamari were cooked just right; and you couldn’t ask for a sweeter corn on the cob.
It was a great atmosphere, happy people, and happy servers.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Can't for the life of me see what the big attraction is here. Sure it's close to historic Annapolis and down a cute windy road, but if you are looking for a bright, fun place to eat Maryland crabs this is NOT the place for you. The inside of the restaurant itself is dark, dark, DARK and dreary. When I eat crabs I want to be in the great outdoors, which luckily for us we got a table under the small outdoor seating area next to the water (which is not a great view btw).

Service was efficient but not friendly at all. A different server came to deliver something to our community table and asked if anyone needed anything. I asked for a new shell bucket and some water. My husband said when she left she rolled her eyes. REALLY?

As for the crabs, maybe we had a bad day, but out of 2 dozen medium crabs 5 were bad. Mushy and had an ammonia smell. Gack. I'm a MD girl and have eaten crabs for years. I realize a bad one or 2 can slip through, but 5 out of 24. Terrible quality control. Food poisoning waiting to happen. They did replace the bad ones, but it certainly left a bad taste in our mouths. We are usually good for 3 to 4 dozen but after that we were done.

We have always had great luck by driving just a bit further over the Bay Bridge to Harris Crab House on Kent Narrows. Big yummy crabs, good service AND a beautiful BIG water view!