“Delicious Steak…that's about it.”
Review of Lewnes Steakhouse

Lewnes Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Lewnes Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 355 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Severn Avenue
Transit: Water taxis drop off and pick up at the end of fourth street, less than a half block from the restaurants location.
Description: The Lewnes family has been serving fine food at this location since 1921. We trust that your dining experience with us will be a memorable one!
Bakersfield, California
“Delicious Steak…that's about it.”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Time to celebrate my daughter completing her first year at USNA! My wife mentioned this restaurant received outstanding reviews (other websites), so we made reservations. We like to support local establishments and were happy to try Lewnes. Unfortunately, the experience did not live up to other restaurants in the Annapolis area -- especially the competing establishments within a short walking distance from this one.

Positive: My steak – and my daughter's – were outstanding. The cut of meat was cooked to perfection and the quality of our beef was what I would expect in a top steakhouse.

Negative: The server was distracted and uninterested in our order. The onion bread was bitter, our salads were uninspired, and my side potatoes were exceedingly salty. The decor and "vibe" seemed tired and dark. Ultimately, there seemed to be NO pride in their product and a clear "resting" on their past accomplishments.

They are in desperate need of a serious MAKEOVER from staff to decor to side dishes.

Sam L, Manager at Lewnes Steakhouse, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
I appreciate you reaching out about your experience here, Jeff. While I'm thrilled to hear your steaks were outstanding, I'm sorry to know that the spotty service and sides put a damper on your overall experience. I'll make a point to follow up with my team regarding your visit -- from here on out, you can expect the quality of our service and food to be nothing short of exceptional.

That said, I want to assure you that we do have quite a bit of pride in our product and are continually working toward bettering ourselves. We've worked hard over the years to establish ourselves as an Annapolis favorite, and I hope you'll get the chance to see what everyone has been raving about. If you have any further comments or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out -- your feedback is always welcomed and appreciated.

Best,
Sam L., Manager

Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
“Blaaaaannnnnnnnnnnddddddddddd”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Friends shlepped down from Delascare to celebrate our new house in MD at this place. Old fashioned, quaint interior. Service very good. Food . . . meh. My sirloin strip had absolutely no taste, a fair amount of waste. Boss (wife) steak was tasty. Friend's Boss ordered chicken (I know...) which she claimed was tough and dry. Young daughters split a filet mignon. Both rated it fair and tasteless. Friend (husband of other Boss) claimed steak was tasteless. A la carte veggies were okay, nothing special (my kid claims my spinach tastes better) Not worth the drive or the money. Sorry.

1 Thank Elite_Cruises
Annapolis, Maryland
“Never again”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I keep getting dragged back here (“Let’s give them another chance …”) and I keep walking out disappointed at best. No more.

Lewnes tries to ride the “local business” bandwagon, located as it is less than a block from Ruth’s Chris. I think they take the local thing too far and assume that their clientele is a bunch of drunken sailors who won’t notice the long wait, undercooked or cold food, and high prices.

On my last visit, it took over an hour to get appetizers to the table. When my ribeye came to the table, which I had ordered medium-rare, hot and pink in the middle, it came out seared on the outside and raw inside. The creamed spinach? Cold, like it had been sitting for that hour-plus, waiting for the steak.

On a previous visit, for an anniversary dinner, we found ourselves sitting upstairs next to a table of six or eight of those stereotypical drunken sailors. My request to move to a different table far away from the drunks was declined, even though there were vacant tables to be seen.

Never again.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank John V
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely horrible!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Dark and gloomy. Very expensive and I left hungry. Poor value for your money. All dishes are a la carte and cost a fortune. Never again. I could have gotten 2 Cup of Noodle and been more satisfied.

1 Thank Roguesix4
Maryland
“Perfect for an anniversary dinner”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

If you want a private dinner with your loved one, this is a good place. The food was good and the atmosphere was soothing. The shrimp cocktail appetizer was shareable. We enjoyed the crab cakes and lamb chops (which were cooked as ordered). We ordered two vegetables to share. The asparagus were seasoned well and the mashed potatoes were creamy and smooth. The portions were the perfect, so don't expect. to take 1/2 of your meal home. We received a complimentary anniversary dessert which was delicious. We will return again.

• Visited April 2013