“My favorite restaurant in Annapolis”
Review of Jalapeno's

Jalapeno's
Ranked #13 of 355 Restaurants in Annapolis
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Annapolis, Maryland
“My favorite restaurant in Annapolis”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is off the beaten path in an unassuming strip mall, but nevertheless a great little restaurant. I've been a happy customer of Gonzolo Fernandez in his Annapolis restaurants since 1988. The food is Spanish and not Tex-Mex. Nevertheless, the chiles rellenos are the best ever.

• Visited September 2012

Annapolis, Maryland
“Will never go back”
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

My friends and I went to a happy hour there for approx the third week in a row and the manager/owner came over to us while we paid and yelled at us for all having separate checks. His bartender couldn't handle keeping track of everyone's drink and food so he took it out on his customers which I thought was extremely unprofessional. It's a shame because I heard really great things about this place.

usa
“Nondescript exterior belies a remarkable,superior experience!!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

What a great find! Situated in a strip mall, but don't pass this up. The interior is inviting, starting with a wall fountain, well-spaced tables so that you have some privacy, and friendly wait staff. We had gambas ajillo for tapas and the seasoning was wonderful. Everything we tried was extremely tasty. We'll be back to try other items on the menu.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank tuxedo-spats
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
“Unexpected Mexican”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

When we first pulled up to Jalapenos, I wasn't sure what to expect. It was tucked into a strip mall between a Dollar Tree and a Family Christian Bookstore, and the entrance leads you right in to the bar. We walked in for a late lunch on a Saturday afternoon and the restaurant wasn't empty, but it wasn't exactly busy either. After making our way through the bar, I was surprised at how nice the main dining room was, complete with a large wine display on one of the walls. This was not the typical tex-mex or cheap, local Mexican restaurant atmosphere.

If the ambiance wasn't enough of an indication that this was a unique type of Mexican restaurant, the menu left no doubt. It was obvious Jalapenos featured a variety of authentic Mexican dishes with unique flavors and ways of preparing their food. While snacking on fresh chips and homemade salsa, we perused the menu and debated over what to try. Feeling adventures, I decided to order "Mole" for the first time and was excited to experience this classic Mexican dish. Unfortunately, I can't find it on the restaurant's website menu but I remember it being served with chicken, rice, and beans.

The mole was covering a boneless chicken breast and the rice and beans were served as sides. I tried the mole by itself first and it had a deep, rich flavor - with notes of cinnamon, pepper, and chocolate. Very unique and very flavorful. It paired well with the chicken and I eventually just combined everything on my plate - bringing all the flavors of the mole, chicken, black beans, and rice together. It felt like a sort of Mexican jambalaya and it tasted awesome. It was a generous portion but I was wishing they would bring out another plate full of food.

We left with everyone completely satisfied with their meal, which isn't an easy task. The service was good, the prices were reasonable, and the food was excellent. What started as an apprehensive and nervous walk through the front door, ended with us walking out talking about how much we enjoyed Jalapenos.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank FromBallparkstoBBQ
Burke, Virginia
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I, went last Saturday evening with my wife, and friends who live in Annapolis. Fortunately my friends made reservations, because it was packed to the gills at 8:30. We were seated promptly, marinated olives were placed on the table, and they were wonderful. It just gets better. from the Tapas, to the desserts you will not be disappointed. From the outside it looks like a hole in the wall. surrounded by The Old Country Buffet, The Dollar Store and The Home Depot. Once you are inside it magically changes. Run as fast a you can, Make reservations!

• Visited August 2012