“Not a BBQ Place, but Smoked Brisket was Great”

McGarvey's Saloon and Oyster Bar
Ranked #44 of 368 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I've been to McGarvey's a couple times in the past, but it had been a while. I stopped in for lunch a couple weeks back and was pretty impressed that this place is still putting out quality food. This place has been around forever, so it's good to see that they're not just resting on their laurels.

I started with a 1/2 dozen oysters, and you can't really go wrong with those. Most people go with a seafood dish or the crabcake, but I saw the smoked brisket on the daily specials, and I had to try it. It was spot on...totally hit the spot. There was plenty of meat on the sandwich, but not an obscene amount. It was cooked PERFECTLY. All the fat rendered off the meat, but not dried out. BBQ sauce complemented the sandwich really well; not too sweet, not too spicy. The "chips" (french fries) left something to be desired as they weren't very crispy, but don't let that deter you from visiting this place. I'll definitely consider heading back to McGarvey's the next time I'm in Annapolis.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

I ate lunch here and enjoyed the food and the pub atmosphere. I had never eaten amberjack fish before and the waiter was helpful in helping me decide to order it. The cajun amberjack sandwich was delicious. McGarvey's fries are a nice change from the norm. I also tried the vegetable crab soup. It was very good. Service was fast and friendly. There is a wide variety to choose from on the menu. Prices range from 13$ to 30$, with most items being on the lower range of that. Very nice location near Dock Street.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

McGarvey's is in a central location and in a character-filled building. The service is friendly and professional. The food is dependable, but not memorable. You won't regret having lunch here, but you will remember the interesting ceiling fans more than what you had to eat.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Haven't been to Annapolis for a long time so loaded up the family and made a day trip to visit the Naval Academy and other points of interest. When it came to food, we went with a well known restaurant from our past - McGarvey's. The crab soup and steamed shrimp are as exceptional as i remember them, and even my wife's salad was stellar. Great selection of beer and top notch service. It's nice when a restaurant is able to remain as good as you remember it even when you haven't been there in years.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband and I were in Annapolis for a short trip. A friend recommended McGarvey's for Happy Hour. We went for lunch instead. The crabcake sandwich was made on site, and it was delicious. My husband had the soft shell crab sandwich, awesome , as well. We had lunch at the bar, and we had incredible service. "Wags" is the bartender at McGarvey's, and he is a treasure! Has information on the area, boating, marinas and golf. Plus, a pretty funny guy. Definitely go to McGarvey's for lunch or happy hour, and definitely sit at the bar;))

1  Thank GingergirlDelaware