“Great Crab Dip, Excellent Service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of McGarvey's Saloon and Oyster Bar

McGarvey's Saloon and Oyster Bar
Ranked #22 of 347 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub, Soups
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Crab Dip, Excellent Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

We visited during Friday night happy hour. Drinks were inexpensive and the crab dip is one of the best we ever had. We returned for lunch on Saturday and experienced the same great service and great dining. We will be sure to return again on our next visit to Annapolis.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank WeekendVacationers

Annapolis, Maryland
“Crab cakes totally miss the mark”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

As a local we wanted to bring some Philly friends into a downtown restaurant for authentic Maryland crab cakes. Our friends bought the 8 of us dinner so I didn't express my dismay at the table. But we all had either the dinner or sandwich crab cakes and they were the worst I've had since moving here 15 years ago. They sold them as lump crab cakes. Wrong! It was almost, and I mean almost, all filler. I can't believe they pawned this off on us. I told the manager as we left how embarrassed I was bringing friends here and he blankly stared at me. It's a great location with Annapolis ambience, but beware of this place until they see the light and deliver what they advertise, especially the cakes.

• Visited May 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Blixxo
South Jersey
“Good impromptu choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2011

We did a lot of menu checking for meals during our trip and chose this one because of the choices, the cost, and the decor. We were looking for something a bit smaller after our large mid-afternoon lunch. It was a little dark, maybe exaggerated by the very bright 7pm outside, but it was clean, as opposed to some other competitors near the dock. Just had the wings and some cottage fries and both were very good. It also gave the opportunity to explore with some unusual beers. The waiter was very friendly and pragmatic, didn't hound us, but was always there when we looked up. The bathrooms weren't hard to get to, as someone else suggested, but they are very small. If more than two people are in there, you have to take turns moving. But, if you're spending too much time in the bathrooms, you have bigger problems than space. It was a great stop and kept us on our path for the night around the dock and Main St.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank calm_weather
“It's hit or miss, but still good overall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

We went here 2 times while on our vacation. Once on NYE before 4pm menu and had a great time. Great service at that night too! Food was good, not great, but decent enough. Yes, bathroom is difficult to get to, upstairs but why complain, it's an old building!
We went a day later thinking we would get the same great results with food, etc. It was much different on New Year's day. We had some guy waiter that was more interested in talking with friends or staff vs. taking care of his tables. He seemed irritated b/c we didn't order cocktails that night. Some of our meals were good, some were just ok. It's really a hit or miss place.
Tip: sit in the saloon area rather than the restaurant area... better atmosphere.

• Visited December 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank drchumby
Queretaro City, Mexico
“Where to be for happy hour on Friday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2010

When we walked into McGarvey’s it was packed and we got there just before the crowd. The bartender was overworked and surly, just the way I like them, but he answered all our questions and made the drinks quickly. Happy hour was in full swing this Friday night when we arrived. They have this “54321” thing that refers to the price of the drinks. Our bill was so reasonable that I doubled my tip. I especially liked the Oyster Shooter. It is made of gin, bloody mary mix with a fresh oyster at the bottom of the glass. I usually don’t like to see things like that swimming in gin but you shouldn’t leave this bar without trying a couple of these. Dinner looked delicious but we did not stay. Next time I am in Annapolis I will try the food as well.