“Wonderful atmosphere, delicious Indian food”
Review of Basmati

Basmati
Ranked #57 of 357 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: Indian, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was our first time dining at Basmati, so we did not try an extensive number of dishes. However, the Vegetable Jalfrezi was perfectly seasoned and delicious, as was the Chicken Tandoori - as good as Tandoori gets. We did not try the salmon, it is hard to find an Indian restaurant who can handle Tandoori salmon and the only one we have found is Haandi in Bethesda. Pappadam served on the table in generous amounts, delicious and fresh, and not so spicy that you can't taste the rest of the meal. My only (tiny) complaint is the mango chutney..it tasted more like honey than chutney, and it is one of my favorite Indian foods (major sweet tooth here). A great find!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I like this place when I walked in. They provide you with bread as a starter. I ordered the meat samosas which were large and crispy but not as flavorful (minty and spicy) as I would like. The tandoori combo platter was flavorful and well presented (on hot platter). Best Indian in Annapolis.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stopped for lunch on a Saturday and were glad to see they had a full buffet. They replenish it in smaller batches to keep everything fresh, so sometimes you have to wait a few minutes for a dish, but it is worth it. The tandoori chicken was moist and delicious, not dried out as it can be at buffets. The spinach with Indian cheese was particularly good, as was the vindaloo, which was appropriately spicy but not so much as to destroy the flavor. The curries were nice, though the lentils were a bit thin, which may be traditional but is not my preference.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Do you ever feel happy when eating Indian food? Do you know it's a fact that the fragrant spices in Indian food releases endorphins in the brain?

We have been dining at Basmati regularly since it opened. It is owned and operated by a lovely family. The food is some of the best Indian food we have had and we have frequented many Indian restaurants in DC and other parts of the country. My favorite is the tandoori lamb chops which come out sizzling on a platter with fresh vegetables.

The atmosphere and lighting is beautiful. It's always a pleasure to dine there, and leave happy!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

My wife and I have been eating Indian food for nearly 50 years and it has been one our favorite cuisines from the start. When Basmati first opened we were in hopes that at long last there would be a good Indian restaurant in Annapolis.

Sadly, when they first opened nearly a year ago, the food was bland and not worth a return visit. In the last few months we started hearing good things about it, so we went back in December.

The service was prompt, the food was good, flavorful and the prices reasonable. However, the chicken tikka was dried out, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you discuss the dryness with the waiter first.

We will be going back!