“The window opens - yay”

Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Fort Myers
“The window opens - yay”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We loved this hotel! Though the decor is a bit dated, the room was large and bright and airy and the window actually opened, just a couple of inches but still one can breath fresh air and sleep peacefully without being disturbed by a noisy air-conditioning unit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Albert M, General Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Terry974,
I appreciate your comments about our hotel. It was our pleasure to serve you. We are currently refreshing our facility and will have all new finishes in the near future. Please come back.
albert.montone@ocallaghanhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Jackie at the front desk was very helpful and polite. The location of the hotel is very convenient. The suite with balcony was comfortable, good bed and very nice sheets, overall pleasant stay for a wedding weekend.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Durham2012,

I appreciate the great review on our hotel. Jackie at the desk is a star and will appreciate your comments about her spirit to serve. Thank you for mentioning our bedroom linens as well. Please come back.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 9, 2013

While the building is beautiful, the best first impression was made by the staff. From valet, to counter, to bar. Friendly, courteous and accommodating. Rooms were clean, well kept and quiet.
It's an easy walk to the waterfront or the local shuttle stop is right out front. I would definitely stay here again.

Dear Sir,
Thank you for the great comments on our staff. I appreciate the kind words about their service. We look forward to serving you on your return to Annapolis.
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The O'Callaghan Hotel is located in the downtown area between two very expensive hotels and still in walking distance of the harbor and the USNA. The staff is outstanding. They were friendly, professional and accommodating and eager to satisfy any request. The bar and dining area were decorated in the Irish mode and named after Capt. John Barry, the founder of the U.S. Navy. who of course was Irish. The room was very comfortable and very clean. The bed was not to hard and not to soft but just right. Having a refrigerator and a safe in the room was a plus. The large screen TV and free WiFi was great. We had a great stay at this hotel which made our first visit to Annapolis perfect.

Room Tip: We prefer upper floor rooms away from elevators for a quitter stay at all hotels. This was no differ...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Albert M, General Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear LoriS,

It was a pleasure to serve you at the O'Callaghan's Hotel Annapolis. We appreciate the great review and look forward to your return.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My family stayed at the hotel last weekend for my wedding in Annapolis. The hotel was so accomodating to everyone. The rooms with 2 double beds and a balcony were great. Plenty of room to move around. Jackie and Shawn at the front desk were wonderful and got to know my mother by name. That really goes over well with her. Next time we go back, we will definitely give them a call.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Albert M, General Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear SusanM,
I appreciate you pointing out the service from Jacqua and Sean at the front desk. They will be very pleased that you acknowledge their spirit to serve. Thank you for the stellar review on our facility. We are looking forward to serving you on your return.
O"Callaghan Hotel Annapolis
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Spent the night in Annapolis while in town for a family members surgery and was surprised to see the hotel has declined so much over the years. The hotel was clean, inexpensive and the location is excellent, just really in need of some sprucing up. We did have a drink at the bar and were happy with the atmosphere and friendly bartender. Our valet was a very polite young man and he took good care of our car (not always the case in my experience at other hotels).

In all fairness I did not mention this to the desk, but...during the night loud banging woke me up twice, it sounded like a loud clunky elevator going up and down for prolonged periods of time. But strangely enough we were no where near the elevator! Was just too tired (and had a long day ahead of me the next day) to call the desk and go through the trouble of possibly changing rooms,ect,
I will try this hotel again, after, if, they renovate the whole place.

Dear Yogavirginia,

Thank you for the kind comments about our staff. We are fully committed to a total refurbishment of our facility.Please come back.
O"Callaghan Hotel Annapolis
Ohio
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My daughter and I arrived in town very early and didn't expect to be able to check-in until 3 pm. At noon I decided to stop in and speak with the receptionist to ask a few questions. We intended to go eat and come back after lunch to check-in. I explained my daughter was here to attend a Candidate Orientation weekend at the Naval Academy and that we just needed to change and let her get some things organized before 4 PM. The receptionist said if we didn't mind a room facing the back then she could check us in right away. She even said I could request a room change later in the afternoon when other rooms would be available. Thank you receptionist! (sorry I didn't get a name). The room was nice and the bed was very comfortable. Being on the fifth floor on the back of the hotel was fine for me. It doesn't face the action on the street so there wasn't much to look at, but it was quiet. As others have said, the air conditioner did seem to be pretty noisy when it was on and would sometimes wake me up when it cycled off and on during the night. All in all it was a decent place to stay and is in a convenient location. You can park the car and leave it and walk to pretty much anywhere. The Naval Academy is about a 1 mile walk but there are interesting sights along the way.

Now the not so great...
After a long day at the Naval Academy on Friday, I walked back and was looking forward to stopping off for a beer somewhere. All the places along West St seemed to be pretty crowded so I decided to just head back to the hotel and planned to stop at the downstairs bar before heading back to my room. I thought it was strange to only see two other patrons there. Seeing that they had Guiness on tap I asked the bartender for a Black & Tan. She said she could make it with Guinness and Smithwicks (also on tap). I said that was fine and waited by the bar. As she began filling the glass it sounded like the Guiness keg was empty (lots of air and sputtering sounds. She poured the foam out and started over a time or two and I joked it sounded like the bottom of the barrel. She told me it should be fine in a minute. When it didn't get any better she asked another employee if he could go check the keg and he disappeared through a door. She continued trying to fill the glass but there was no change. I finally said - OK I'll just take a Smithwicks instead. She said you know, I think I'm going to give you one in a bottle instead because it will be colder. She made some comment about the lines from the keg tend to make the beer warm or something. She said she would only charge me the domestic rate, which she quoted as $4.95. I almost told her to forget it at that point. If I had wanted bottled beer I could have walked across the street and bought a six pack at the convenient store and taken it back to my room. So... skip the bar and head to one of the many other fine bars / restaurants in the area. I was very disappointed in this so called Irish pub.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Albert M, General Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Rotordriver,

Thank you for the kind words about our reception where you were able to check in early and meet your obligations. I do apologize for the taps being out of commission. We lost and compressor and are actively trying to fix this problem. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It would be my pleasure to but you a Guinness on your next trip to Annapolis.