“growing pains but we'll be back”

O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Maryland
“growing pains but we'll be back”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Our most recent trip to Annapolis was enjoyable as it always is. Returned to O'Callahan's for this visit and noticed a bit of a decline in in the comfort of the stay. Room quality, bed comfort and amenities a bit less than remembered. For example coffee and tea removed from the rooms. We were advised that we could come downstairs for coffee if we wished. Large, old, television taking up most of the desk space, noisy in room refrigerator, incomfortable pillows and other small but cumulative details were noticed on this visit. Front desk and bar staff friendly and helpful as always. It seems that the owners are in Ireland and absent in running this property. Now as suggested in the title this may just be growing pains in a changing market and hopefully we caught them in the middle of the change. Attention to detail is what I expect from O'Callaghan properties and hope to see it on our next visit. To clarify, we like this hotel and will return on one of our future visits to Annapolis. Just hoping that the needed upgrades will be completed by then.

Room Tip: Rooms near the elevators are smaller than other rooms, quite small actually.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
OCHAnnapGM, General Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Michaelkat,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, it is very important to us. I am sorry you felt the hotel was not up to our previous standards. We have removed the coffee makers from the rooms, we have found a fabulous local company, Chesapeake Bay Roasting Company that is sustainable and eco-friendly, so now we offer freshly brewed organic coffee in the lobby all day. We do still have coffee makers available on request.

We are planning on changing the televisions in the rooms very shortly and are making changes currently, so we hope you will be back to see us again soon.

Many thanks

Lesley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Zion, Illinois, United States
Reviewed December 31, 2012

USNA graduation. Good location. Short walk to stadium and yard. Pickup trolley in front of hotel. Valet parking was great. The room was nice and clean. We held the graduation celebration in one of their banquet halls, very impressed with presentation from the staff. The staff treated us with the greatest respect and was very accommodating to our needs. BRAVO O'Callaghan staff!

Room Tip: No laundry facilities
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank scm587
OCHAnnapGM, General Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear scm587,

Thank you for taking the time to share your graduation experience, we really appreciate it. Thank you for chosign us for this special event and we hope it won't take another graduation to get you back to Annapolis! Hopefully some class reunions in the future!

Thanks again and Happy New Year.

Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We picked up our son from the airport and stopped in Annapolis to visit with friends, not wanting to intrude by staying with them. This was our first stay in O'Callaghan Hotel but it won't be our last. Not only would we return to Annapolis but we would stay in other locations as well. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was nice, clean and adequately stocked with what was needed. Overall a good experience from check-in to getting our car upon check-out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear katemolloy3,

Thank you so much for your lovely review and we are delighted that you found us! We very much hope you will be back in Annapolis to visit your friends soon and we will see you again!

All the very best and Happy New Year!

Boyds, Maryland
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The room was a little small and there wasn't enough toilet paper or tissue in the room but the staff was super helpful and friendly, especially the front desk attendant Jackie...she was great. It would have been nice to have another blanket on the bed as well. It was difficult to regulate the temperature in the room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
OCHAnnapGM, General Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Lidia I,

Thank you so much for your review and for the high scores you have us. I will certainly make sure that Jackie knows of your kind comments about her. She is a great asset to us and we value her!

I apologize about the tissues and will be sure to bring this to the attention of our housekeeping team, thank you for making me aware of that. We do have extra blankets, so next time please call the front desk and we can get one for you.

Thanks again and we hope to see you back in Annapolis soon.

Malverne, New York
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Do yourself a favor and book yourself into the Leows instead of this hotel. When checking in, they had no reservation for me, although I did have a confirmation number. THen our first room was equipped with a non-working toilet. By the time they had a second room for us, it was 11pm ... All the while watching other people check in much earlier.... Once we got into our second room, it was so dirty I could not believe my eyes. Take your business elsewhere, you will be much happier.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank harleyhuni
OCHAnnapGM, General Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Harleyhuni

Firstly I would like to apologize for the confusion with your reservation and the error in changing your arrival date. As I mentioned in my email to you, in our rush to get you into your room so early, we skipped over some of our normal checks and we certainly should not have checked you into a room with any issues, I have discussed this with the team here and we will be sure that this does not happen again. I was glad that we were able to get you another room by 2.30pm.

I have contacted you personally to ask for more details on any cleanliness issues with your room and would very much like to hear from you, we take this very seriously.

Thank you again for contacting me in person as well as posting your review.

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the O'Callaghan Hotel from November 9th-12th.

Location: Not bad, Not Great. You can walk (20 minutes) to the center of town/bay, but it gets annoying after a few times. There is a free bus that runs often. Bottom line- There are a lot of other hotels/ b and bs that are more convenient.

Room: I stayed in room 248. Room was okay. It had a tube television (come on). Wallpaper peeling off in certain areas. I killed some sort of bug (not a roach). Stains on rug. Top of entertainment center was extremely dusty (I am 6'5'' so I can see those sort of things). View was that of an alley/garage.

Staff: Seemed nice. Did not interact with them that often.

Parking: I parked at the Public Parking garage across the street for 1/2 the price that the hotel cost.

Annapolis is wonderful, O'Callaghan Hotel not so much.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
OCHAnnapGM, General Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear John A,

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to give us the feedback on your stay.

We are also delighted that the city has put on a free shuttle service into the downtown area, we are just one mile from the water, so we are considered to be in the historic district.

I will be sure to address the armoire tops with our housekeeping team to ensure they are properly cleaned, thank you for bringing that to my attention.

We will have new flat screen TV's from very early next year, so I hope you will come back to let us know what you think of them.

Again, thank you for your feedback, it is very helpful.

Wasco, California
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We were visiting my family in Maryland all the way from California. My uncle had to put us up in a hotel last minute because he had some business friends who were staying with him overnight and this place is such a delight! Upon check in the staff was very friendly and we woke up a little late for the breakfast however, the lady working the breakfast room was extremely friendly and went as far as to cut up some banana for my 6month old son. I love annapolis and how its so metropolitan! If I were ever to live on the east coast Annapolis would definitely be the spot. This property is perfectly located in the heart of Annapolis. I will definitely recommend this hotel for future visits.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear GoodntheHood,

Thank you so much for your review and for your kind words about the staff and service, I will be sure to pass these on to the team and to Rachel in the restaurant!

We hope that the next time you are in town to visit family, you will consider staying with us again, around the holidays we offer some very special rates for those visiting locals, please give us a call.

Many thanks again.