“Great, creative food”

Metropolitan Kitchen & Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Metropolitan Kitchen & Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 358 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Metropolitan specializes in farm-to-table cooking. We strive to source our ingredients from local farms purveyors.
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This restaurant is a great find for creative dishes made from fresh, local ingredients.

We showed up without a reservation on a Saturday night, so we had a minimum 30 minuted wait. This wasn't a problem because we went straight to the bar to try some of their unique cocktails. I had the General Lee which was very smooth and worth trying.

We ended up eating at the bar, which was just as good because we didn't have to wait the full time for our table. We ordered two burgers: the ahi tuna and the foodie (which happened to be a regular beef patty with a fried green tomato and bacon). Both were delicious, though rather small. The fries that came with the burgers were also very tasty.

Overall, I was very impressed with the quality and creativity of the food, and I would love to come back to try some of the main entree items. The prices were a little high, but well worth it.

1  Thank AYachanin

Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is more of a 3.5 review...went there for an afternoon snack before going to see several short films at the Annapolis Film Festival. I have to echo the other reviewers who mentioned that several tables went unbussed and did not add nicely to the otherwise pleasant ambiance. We tried some of their juice drink concoctions and found them to be refreshing. We also tried their black bean hummus, and the flatbread that came with it was really delicious. It's a good restaurant in an up and coming arts neighborhood.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This review provides in the moment texts to a friend followed by the details of the experience.

Text: I had high hopes for metropolitan kitchen but I am already turned off. Table dirty, several chairs with crumbs, served water in an absolutely filthy juice glass that still had all residue
from tomato or carrot juice.

Details: As we walked in and approached our table, Mom pulled out her chair to sit, it was full of crumbs. She looked to the next table to grab that chair but it had food in it. She went over one more table (now two chairs later) and grabbed that chair and switched it out for her crumb filled chair. Why didn't she sweep the food onto the floor? Beneath our table was already a lot of food—actual remnants of food, more than crumbs. We were seated and our waitress brought water to the table as well as small juice glasses. She poured water into the glasses. When she sat my glass down before me, I said “that glass is really dirty.” The waitress said matter-of-factly all our glasses and cups are really stained from coffee and tea. I looked at her and said, this is a glass, and that is like tomato juice. She took the glass away. As she left I said to my mom, what kind of crap is that! No one serves coffee or tea in a 4 ounce juice glass. This was tomato or carrot juice around entire circumference of glass, the kind of marks left from tipping the glass to drink and the liquid flows up and then back down. The waitress was not rude but seemed a little exasperated like she has had to make this excuse before. I should note that we went through several coffee mug/tea cups too because each one given to my mom had actual food on it or in it. Mind you there were not stains on the very white translucent cups, just food.

Text: If i wasn't with mom i would leave.

Text: Mom ordered a cup of tea. Cup dirty. Waitress said I swear all our cups are stained with coffee but they are clean . In front of waitress Mom pushed food away to show it was not a stain.

Details: This food was on the inside of the cup filled with hot water, for tea.

Text: Second cup just came. It had markings. Waitress sat it down said...it is just a stain. Mom took spoon and scratched the food right off the cup. Geezus!!

Details: When second cup was sat down in front of Mom and waitress was taking her hand away, Mom sort of wrinkled her nose and was looking hard at the outside of the cup. Mom told waitress in a voice of sort of disbelief, “Well this isn't clean either,” and pointed to something on the cup. Waitress again pleaded that the restaurants dishes are just stained. My picked up her spoon and scratch, scratch the food on the outside of cup flicked off. Waitress looked a little embarrassed. Mind you, other than food the white cup had no coffee or tea stains. No stains at all.

Text: I asked Mom if she wants to leave. She was hesitant and said she felt bad cuz food already ordered.

Details: Food came. I was really not wanting to eat this food. Clearly cleanliness is not a priority for them. If they serve dirty dishes to customers and present a dirty dining room then I hate to see the state of the kitchen. I did eat, it was now a little after 12 noon and I had not eaten all day. The food was good. I tried hard to not look at my plate. Half way through the meal Mom leans over and says, “I suppose we should have looked at the plates.” We both laughed not because the situation was funny but because the odds were that our food was sitting on top of someones previous meal residue. I replied, “Stop, I need to not think about that or I will not be able to eat this food.”

I had two-eggs fried hard, bacon, and sweet potato waffles. Eggs were cooked fine, bacon okay, waffles were really good pancakes. I say this because the texture was not really like a waffle but like a pancake...shaped like a waffle.

Mom had the Metropolitan burger. She said it was a good burger but it was small. It was a tiny burger in general but especially for the $15 price tag.

Text: Omg!!! Little mayo server for individual serving is dirty too. Something other than mayo is around the inside walls.

Details: Mom asked for mustard and mayo. Mustard was brought out in a little sealed jar. Mayo was brought out in a little tin server. The kind often used to serve sauces or dressings. There was a dollop of mayo in the little server cup as well as some sort of dark specs around the interior wall.

Can I or will I recommend Metropolitan Kitchen and Lounge? Absolutely not. Here is why. When I dine out I am dining out for a good to great dining experience. This includes the food as well as the ambiance, and waitstaff. I can eat at home. Eighty percent of the time I can eat far better food (flavor and quality) at home than I can when eating out. I eat out for the dining experience, which is created via the atmosphere—style, layout, cleanliness, music, waitstaff, and food. Metropolitan cafe failed on cleanliness. When we arrived, at 11:45 am, there were no customers in the restaurant. Why couldn't someone sweep the floor? There were two staffers in the dining area. How could someone have set our table, put the rolled napkin of flatware down next to a pile of crumbs and not clean away the crumbs? How can they repeatedly pick up dishes/glassware from the kitchen area and bring it out to customers with chunks of food on it? Why is it okay to say to customers all of our cups have stains and that be an okay excuse? Metropolitan hasn't been in business that long so I can't imagine the drinkware stained that fast. And again, the two bright white cups my Mom was given had no stains but actual food stuck to it. My 4 oz. Juice glass still had juice residue on it, not stains. Plain and simple the glass was dirty.

I told the waitress, I am going to my car to get two bottles of water because I am thirsty. I need something to drink. The kitchen is failing at dish-washing either by hand or automated. She shrugged her shoulders and said, “Oh that's fine.” Our waitress was nice and attentive.

In the food business priority number one should be cleanliness because you are serving food to the public.

Now for an interesting development. This morning, less han 24 hours after dining at Metropolitan Kitchen and Lounge, I logged into my email and found an email from Opentable.com (Opentable) saying that Metropolitan had cancelled my reservation. This was curious. I had not cancelled my reservation, I made and modified a reservation and both those email notices were in the INBOX as well. What was missing from my email INBOX was the obligatory Opentable.com email invitation to review Metropolitan Kitchen. A-ha! Metropolitan later in the day “cancelled” my reservation so that I would not be given an opportunity to review the restaurant. That little trick prompted me to write the following to Opentable.com:

Note to Opentable.com
I want you to know that I had an absolutely nasty dining experience at Metropolitan Kitchen yesterday. I did make a reservation for 11:30 am. I did change that to 11:45 am. My mom did walk
through the door of the restaurant at 11:45 am while I parked in front. We dined for over an hour. I have the receipt to prove it and I tipped the waitress 20%. I have written my review of
this experience. I logged into email this morning looking for my opentable invite to review Metropolitan and there is a new email saying the restaurant cancelled my reservation. I suspect
they did this so that I could not review them on Opentable. This is wrong, sneaky and makes me question the review process of Opentable. I hope that Opentable gives me the opportunity
submit my review. This just goes to show that the restaurant is in fact dirty...not clean and slightly under-handed.

Email stating that Metro Kitchen cancelled my reservation came at 4:33 pm. I arrived at the restaurant at 11:45 am, and left at 1:02 pm.

What is interesting about all this is that yes, I was going to write my honest review and at the bottom give permission for the restaurant to contact me if they wish. I was also going to write a letter to Metropolitan to let the know about the experience in hopes that they would more vigilant with their cleanliness and just plain ol' give a care. But this tactic exemplifies sneaky behaviour, and goes against the spirit of accurate reviewing. I don't think the restaurant cares to improve. And I don't have to eat there again.

If possible, I will follow up here as to what happens with Opentable or Metropolitan.

3  Thank food_chick1
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband and I bought a Living social deal and decided to try out Metropolitan Kitchen. We made reservations for 5:30p and called to let them know we came across some traffic and would be there at 5:45p (Saturday night). We arrived at 5:45p and were greeted and seated immediately. You walk into the bar area which was too loud for my taste. Then we were lead into a dark dining area that looked like it could be romantic. We then turned to the left and were seated in a brighter dining area beside a white wall with writing on it (farm fresh, local, etc.). The floor slated, so you sat on an incline. Most tables were flat except the row in which we were seated. The wall beside me was white, and dirty. Looked like food splattered in several places (I was hoping that's all that was splattered on the wall, didn't want to think about the other possibilities). We were the only ones seated in either of these areas, I should have asked to be moved. My husband and I each ordered the Butternut Squash soup which was extremely good. Then we each ordered the Metropolitan burger : hamburger with lettuce, tomato, blue cheese and bacon. He got the side of fries, I paid $2 extra to have salad instead of fries. My burger was perfect, medium well. His medium looked more like well. We both enjoyed the burgers. I am not a fan of blue cheese but on the hamburger it was perfect. We each ordered wine, I an oaked Chardonnay which was good and average pour. I don't remember what he had, probably a Pinot Grio. Our waitress was friendly and attentive. Both dining areas were 2/3 full by the time we left which was one hour after we arrived. They have a roof top deck with live music which just opened. Everyone, and I mean everyone - about fifty people had to walk by our table to get to the stairs to the roof top deck. This was very annoying to me, took away from trying to enjoy my food. I think if I got away from the dirty wall and the parade of people and sat in the dark dining area, I would enjoy my experience much more. Since the food was so good, we will return and request the dark area for seating. Will definitely not sit against the white wall again. Potential for 4 star rating, who knows, if they clean, maybe 5 stars. The bathroom could also use some cleaning.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We opted for romantic dinner and were the only ones in the dining room at the early dinner hour. We both had steak - I had the Bistro steak with fries and blue cheese sauce - expertly cooked at medium rare. There was more food than I thought I could eat but it was so yummy... Skirt steak with the accompanying potato and asparagus was beautifully plated and equally yummy. Our wait staff was very attentive and everything about the experience was good. Would like to be about 20 years younger and hang out on the roof when it opens!