“A review to help make sense of the discrepancies of other reviews!”

Sandy Point State Park
Ranked #24 of 94 things to do in Annapolis
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I visited Sandy Point State Park for the first time today, and read reviews on the place before going. I read everything from "disgusting and full of trash" to "fabulous place for families". I was completely confused as to what to expect! I hope this review helps others that are trying to figure out if the beach part is worth the visit.

I went with 2 friends, and all our kids (7 total from ages 3-8). From a kid stand-point, they LOVED it. They had a ball in the sand and the water. The water was quite infested with sea nettle (jelly fish) and people all around us were stung. So that limited our "swimming", but the kids still had fun. I believe the amount of jelly fish in the water changes at different times of the year so a good thing to check out before going.

From an adult's stand point, it is exactly an hour from Northern VA. Easy drive, and signs help navigate for first time visitors. It costs $6/person, kids in car seats are free (this bit of info is not readily available). There was plenty of parking. The sand is orange and rocky. I preferred to keep my shoes on because I found it uncomfortable, but all the kids were perfectly fine walking in the sand barefoot in and out of the water. The water is murky brown but was cool. As said before, the massive amount of jelly fish limited our time in the water. There was some trash on the beach here and there, and we found a couple pieces of broken glass in the sand, but it was by no means filthy or disgusting. We got there at 11 on a Friday and it wasn't crowded at all. The crowds did increase later on, though I never found it obnoxious. The rest rooms were nice enough, and I liked being able to shower and change the kids before the drive home. We stayed on the beach right by the rest rooms and concessions stand.

So....all in all, for us, definitely worth the trip. It is not the nicest beach, and if it was more then 1 hour away, or I didn't have little kids, I would probably never go back. But for an easy day trip to let the kids play in the sand and water- it is definitely something we'll do again.

16  Thank AnneKyle
"pavilions"
"playground"
"opportunities"

Reviewed July 12, 2012

You couldn't ask for more in a state park. Beautiful park on the Chesapeake Bay. Swimming, boating, fishing, birding & picnic pavillions. We have our family reunion here every year.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Nice beach area, pretty views of bridge and lighthouse. I do not know how clean the water is because I did not go in, but it did look fine.

1  Thank Skiesmostwanted
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I am in love with the bay bridge and this wonderful state park has some of the best views of the bridge and great fresh sand.

Nice area, easy access but fills up fast on nice days.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Visited Sandy Point State Park for the second time this past Thursday with a family member. Visited in the early afternoon with two simple goals: soaking up some rays and going for a quick swim considering the triple digit temperatures.

As we didn't want to make the beach a weekend-long adventure, we opted for Sandy Point--granted, it's no Rehoboth or Jones Beach (I'm a native, beach-spoiled New Yorker), but it got the job done. The beach was an approximate 45-minute drive from Baltimore City (on I-97), there was plenty of parking, fee was nominal (note they charge per person but do offer in-state and student discounts), and since it was a weekday, the entire park was relatively quiet. The view of the Bay Bridge is also spectacular--even if the beach isn't the greatest, the pretty view makes the trip worthwhile. :)

The sand is an interesting burnt orange color, didn't bother me--just remember to wear sturdy flip flops as during very warm days, the sand gets quite hot. The water is also your typical cute green color, but, that honestly comes with the territory along the east coast--I checked the water quality standards for Sandy Point not too long ago and it's safe, safer than some NY beaches I often frequent.

Overall, my mother and I had a nice time at the beach and would recommend this spot for those who want to take a quick dip in the water and/or tan for an hour or two without having the hassle of making a trip to the beach a weekend-long adventure. Also, it's very close to historic Annapolis, which, is where we ended up visiting afterward for lunch.

Note: When I visited the Park for the first time, it was a weekend day (Sunday)--beach was rather crowded, lots of families with young children, not as much space on the beach to lay out, bathrooms were war zone-like status. If you can tolerate this kind of stuff, great--but, I'd recommend this park more for a weekday trip if you can make it, rather than a weekend one.

1  Thank Tanya922