“Who knew????”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Probably one of the best kept secrets to the Restaurant scene in Annapolis, MD is Vin 909. It is such a small spot and a bit out of the way at that by being located in Eastport, which is just across a small bridge from the Historic District of Annapolis.
Once there, you won't want' to leave. Their menu changes almost daily and relies on what is good based on the season and the offerings at the wholesale level. They do the most creative things with their prepared menu and the lines attest to that fact. The only caveat is that you may simply NOT get in as it is that popular. To say the restaurant is small is an understatement. It is TINY and yet that may be part of the charm. The pairings with wine make so much sense and are very affordable. The fun and for some the problem is that the menu changes so often that a particular item that you just loved, may not be available the next time you are able to get a seat. Then again that is the charm. For those who crave to have the same dishes, over and over, this is NOT the place for you. For all the others that like variety, fresh produce (locally sourced), top quality seafood and meats, THIS is the place for you. It is Annapolis' secret, but won't be much longer. We only hope they don't decide to grow into a larger space as that is often the kiss of death. Until then, run, don't walk to Vin 909.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I've lived in Annapolis for a while now, trying out different restaurants and this is one I would definitely come back to. Well, probably not come back unless we had visitors, but at least get take out pizza. The only drawback is the wait time. Sunday evening at 5:30 there was already an hour wait. Everything is made to share at this restaurant, so the plates are huge. The pizza was very good, but very oily. The chicken sandwich overshadowed the pizza in my opinion. The arugula salad wasn't very good, the dressing was disappointing. Our waiter was very attentive in such a busy place. I enjoyed the wines I tried. The butterscotch pudding was very light and yummy!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I visited family in Maryland last weekend and I'll be honest, I haven't had many great experiences in American Restaurants. If the service is good, food is lacking and vice versa. From start to finish our experience and Vin 909 was fantastic.

There was about an hour long wait since you cannot make reservations but we decided to tough it out. Grabbed a bottle of wine and relaxed just inside the doors. The wine list has great selection at every price point. Given that I'm not from the area I asked the bartender to recommend something based on my taste and he did a great job. The bartenders were great fun and kept us fully entertained until our table was ready.

Once sat our server guided us through everything at a great pace. He was there when we needed him but not pushy considering it was busy with other guests waiting.

Our table shared the beet salad to start although we made a change to it. No problem with the modification and it was fresh and delicious. For mains we all had pizza. My cousin is a vegan and the chef made her a vegan pizza on request and she was in love. We had a traditional margherita with pepperoni and it's by far the best pizza I've ever had. I have worked in two different Italian restaurants and toured pizza joints locally and this was perfection!

The value for what we got was also amazing. I know that it's much cheaper to eat in the US than here in Canada but it was still awesome. I have no negatives to report although we were offered tables on the porch... it was freezing outside so I'm not sure why the hostess thought this was a good idea considering there was no heat!

1  Thank robyn_rox47
Reviewed November 5, 2013

its always nice to find a place thats not located at every other intersection that puts out great food! We headed to Vin 909 for dinner based on a freinds recommendation, we were very pleased and will certainly go back.

Pros: Food was great, we had a couple of their tapas style entree's and an "Eastport" pizza and all of them were really good. Wine selection seemed pretty big but as a non-wine drinker I can't comment on their chocies, I do however drink good beer so I was glad to see that true to their nature they offered up a selection of craft beers (I do however think they offere this selection becuase of their nature and without the thought that goes into the wine choices) The environment was nice, it was mid week at 6:30 and it was packed.

Cons: Size, there isn't a lot of seating, plenty of people were waiting for tables (Luckily we grabbed 2 bar stools that became available and didn't have the standard wait for a table, that was right place right time luck). Parking could be an issue, street parking and their small lot can be tough in Eastport, we parked at the shopping center a quck walk away but I'm not sure if the shopping center is the type that tries to prevent that.

Overall we enjoyed the experience, not someplace I'd go every weekend but certainly worthy to be tried and added to anyone's rotation

1  Thank 4InMD
Reviewed November 3, 2013

As you can see from the Tripadvisor website, Vin 909 is ranked out of this world. This inspired us to go! But after a first visit, I am left scratching my head a little, wondering if maybe I missed something. Wife and I showed up early on a Saturday night, wait was manageable, no big deal there. Sat on the patio, in surroundings that can only be described as loud. This was not the restaurant's fault, but I was surprised to find that the place was more or less full of kids. Who brings there kids to a wine cafe? Not sure, but wife and I left our kids at home, just figured others would do the same, you know, at a place that specializes in wine. Seems adult oriented. The acoustics of the patio are bad, so don't count on not being able to hear the conversations all around you.

Wine list is great, lots of good wines and reasonable values. You are bound to find something you like.

The place could be a little more straightforward on their website that you aren't going to find full size entrees. It is really a pizza place, more or less. We started with the margherita pizza as an appetizer, and our "plates" (i.e. our main course) was out immediately, something that should not happen at place like this. The pizza was good, no doubt about it; the entrees were okay, although the black pasta with uni butter was overly rich. The crab and bacon balls were served cold, which was not mentioned on the menu. The food was all, serviceable, nothing really excelled.

Service was fine, except for the main course coming out right on top of the appetizer pizza.